News Tom Flegler snubs Sydney mega-deals to stick with Broncos

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sit down and figure out what 1/3 of your pay is. Would you switch employers if you were not only offered that money over and above your current pay, but guaranteed to get it for three years even if you get injured, whereas your current employer only guarantees one year.

Total no brainer, and this nonsense about "I can take my game to the next level at team X" is a steaming pile.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is well beyond a joke. NRL needs to start registering more than just contracts, need to start registering offers too. If a player has received multiple fair dinkum offers from clubs that are more than 10% above what the player accepts elsewhere than it should factor into cap calculations. If Flegler got multi-year contract offers worth 800k a year and those offers were above board than this should be his market valuation and it should be how much it costs Brisbane's cap.

Otherwise all this talk about the cap making the competition fairer is baloney, and theories of second books and brown paper bags will not go away.
I was pretty sure that the NRL had come up with some provision along those lines. But perhaps they have and it's only going to be applied selectively in cases where a club that isn't a favourite of the NRL admin looks like keeping somebody the Roosters or Brisbane want on a low wage.