tolman on the 4th tackle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Much more concerned about the deliberate penalties he gives away every time we are defending our line. Totally unnecessary.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Theres no benefit of a "settler play" on the 4th or 5th tackle. Its to late then. The problem is pretty simple. The forwards are standing (standing and not moving) much to flat.
The halves have little option to run sideways as the forwards are always in the way. They need to be standing back at least 10 metres and be moving up. That way the halves can connect with the outside backs.

ArnieD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have noticed over the last few weeks (well months really) that when we are in the opposition 20m zone on EVERY 4th tackle the ball is given to Tolman for a nothing play........can someone please explain why?

I thought for sure they wouldn't be so predictable in the grand final yet we did it over & over again, so souths knew every time we were on the attack Tolman would get the ball on the 4th
You only just noticed now? He's been doing it for years. So frustrating. Another thing that's crept in his game is giving away penalties on the last.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its just default play. Halves arent organising back line . No play set up tolman who should be a decoy is receieving ball . Poor play
How can the halves organise anything when Graham and Tolman are doing the first receiver gig? Slow ball from two slow front rowers makes our outside backs targets.

Whenever our backs look good its thanks to their individual abilities, while Hasler's game plan of the future is taken straight from the Canterbury Cavemen coaching manual.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
A 4th settler play inside the 20 seems a waste to me, out of your own half I understand it, but in the 20, whats to lose from chancing your arm on the 4th? maybe 10m field position on where we usually end up, so, seems a good time to move the ball a bit.

Guess its a part of our conservative type play... works ok I guess, but, I do love the entertaining caution to the wind type plays late in the count when inside the enemy 20.

cenz1111

Waterboy
Reaction score
Problem is that the fourth tackle is wasted then we do nothing with the 5th..we just take the tackle...no kick...nothing...which means we are trying to win a game with only 3 plays..not including the forwards running the ball up on tacke 1 and 2..which leaves tackle 3..which is a nothing play to a second rower..
Its the mist boring ineffectual strategy ive seen from the dogs..and thats including when we got the wooden spoon years ago..
Ive never walked out on a dogs game ..this year ive done exactly that around six times..somethings gotta give.. my patience is on knifes edge..

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Problem is that the fourth tackle is wasted then we do nothing with the 5th..we just take the tackle...no kick...nothing...which means we are trying to win a game with only 3 plays..not including the forwards running the ball up on tacke 1 and 2..which leaves tackle 3..which is a nothing play to a second rower..
Its the mist boring ineffectual strategy ive seen from the dogs..and thats including when we got the wooden spoon years ago..
Ive never walked out on a dogs game ..this year ive done exactly that around six times..somethings gotta give.. my patience is on knifes edge..
exactly correct.. If we did something constructive with the 5th tackle, I'm sure the 4th tackle settler wouldn't even get a mention ..there in lies the problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.