Official Toby Sexton Signed Immediately

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
~660k a year for Brooks which is almost double what he's worth. I wouldn't of been happy signing Brooks even on half Manly wages.
Yep all good mate. Realistically he was never an option anyway given that he is a left side player.

I was more just pointing out the lack of depth in halves across the NRL.

under_Dogz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He’s not the answer. Brooks is light years ahead of him. Watch him go at Manly next year. Funny thing is we probably only paid a little bit less for Sexton. Hope I’m wrong but looks like another poor decision.
So what would’ve been your master plan with both Burton and Brooks being left side players?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Players start to extend/sign elsewhere, etc. around the November mark but a lot of them actually get past the November date and test what they can get on the open market. Most recent e.g. is NAS who was off contract until very recently. Moses, etc. It has been the same every year and for some reason you say the same thing every year since 2021 and it's just so far from the truth.

The best case scenario for us now using only off contract players is signing players like Sele, Greig and Cartwright which is just unacceptable anyway you put it. We've written off 2024 now too (sorry to the hopefuls).
Whose truth, yours? You’ve sighted TWO players who got past November out of a pool of 510 players in Top 30 squads. Not exactly a strong argument…

In both cases (NAS/Moses) they stayed with their current clubs so most likely weren’t genuinely ‘testing the market’ but their management were trying to extract as much as possible from their clubs knowing full well the players wanted to stay - again the 7% rule.

You think Gus isn’t aware of the reality as to whether players like those two you mentioned are genuinely available let alone even a ballpark of what sort of money they’d be seeking? Of course he would - and probably why any enquiries never got past first base.

Sorry, but your scenarios are unrealistic.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok so usually club gets benefit of the doubt with signings from me but I think it’s been proven now that’s not deserved.
I personally think it’s crazy to sign a young reserve grade half to add to the numerous young halves we already have to turn our fortunes around. What exactly will he do behind a consistently badly beaten forward pack? What happened to no quick fixes? We need forwards with mongrel and we need a halfback with significant NRL experience to complement an already inexperienced spine. All this does is potentially piss off the existing young halfbacks we have that we’re supposedly wanting to develop.
“Numerous young halves”

KO - not a half

Rajab - not sure what he is but not a 7. Maybe a 6 or 1 but either way he is 2 years minimum off

Hayward - sucks

BBO - sucks

Flanno - no comment needed

Everyone else is 5+ years off. We literally have 0 options atm.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
He’s not the answer. Brooks is light years ahead of him. Watch him go at Manly next year. Funny thing is we probably only paid a little bit less for Sexton. Hope I’m wrong but looks like another poor decision.
The Titans had him on 300K per season. We just took over that. Flanagan leaves so we are no worse off, if anything we save a bit.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reading between the lines at Gus’ presser sounds like the club is working feverishly behind the scenes so they can name him for this weekend against Souffffs.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And what’s Noddy doing … with a young half’s combo you’d think they’d be working with a half’s coach all week .. what half’s do we have in our coaching ranks to show them what they’re doing wrong and improve them .. (Quote)

We have an enormous amount of "assistants". O'Meley, Mason, Ryan, Sherwin, SBW, Asotasi, Potter, and probably more.
What we need is talented players who play in their best position.
What are the forwards coach actually teaching? It sure isnt tackling.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Yes he was.
Solid defensively, not much in attack.
I’m not saying Gus gets it right 100% of the time but the suggestion he ‘has no idea’ or ‘is doing nothing’ or that TK experts could do better is pretty laughable…
Sutton was always a depth signing though. Someone you hope you don't need to use, but can do a role if required. Unfortunately guys like him are needed more than was thought and it's not pretty.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
His last game against the Dragons honestly has me impressed I can’t lie. Good management and kicking game. Was putting Sami and Schoupp away countless times on his edge with his passing. Sami had a career game in metres because of it. I might have overreacted but we will see

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Effectively only signed for a year and a bit til end 24 so not over committing. Titans would also be kicking in cash for the same period so relatively cheap pickup.
Hope he works out but if not will not be an anchor like Flanagan.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His last game against the Dragons honestly has me impressed I can’t lie. Good management and kicking game. Was putting Sami and Schoupp away countless times on his edge with his passing. Sami had a career game in metres because of it. I might have overreacted but we will see
He has game management ability just needs to be more consistent. Not sure the current environment will help him.