News Toby Sexton aiming to lock down halves spot

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In just over two weeks from now, the Canterbury Bulldogs will begin their 2024 season as they look to finally reclaim a spot in the top-eight and once again play finals football.

Entering the season with an entirely different roster from the 2023 season, Cameron Ciraldo will have a tough decision to make as to who will help lead the team in attack, an area they struggled with last year.

Matt Burton will hold onto the number six jersey this season, but there has been much debate as to who will join him in the halves.

While Blake Taaffe, Connor Tracey, Jaeman Salmon, Jake Turpin and Kurt Mann could potentially play at halfback, two names have emerged as the front-runners - Drew Hutchison and Toby Sexton.

In their first trial game against the Melbourne Storm, Hutchison started in the halves, but Sexton also had substantial game time and was impressive in the position.

"Yeah, it is," Sexton told Zero Tackle when asked if the goal was to lock down a spot in the halves.

"The most crucial thing is just having a really good pre-season where I'm getting the good reps in.

"I'm developing both physically and mentally, and I'm putting myself in the best possible stage to be able to have a good 2024, and hopefully that's in the 17 as well."

The former Titan believes that even though he has to contend with several players for a position in the team, it has created a healthy battle of competition that will only drive the club to more success.

The halfback jersey isn't the only one up for grabs with uncertainty surrounding the fullback position, who will be in the back-line and which individuals will be chosen to come off the interchange bench.

At this stage, the only players that have cemented their spot in the Round 1 line-up are representative stars Stephen Crichton, Josh Addo-Carr, Viliame Kikau and Matt Burton, hooker Reed Mahoney and future club captain Jacob Preston.

"Cameron's made it clear from day one of pre-season that no one's got their spot cemented here on the side, and every spot's up for grabs, and it only drives competition," Sexton added.

"It's created a really good environment within the side where every spot's up for grabs, and everyone's competing every day to kind of try and cement a spot.

"That way, we're going to have 30 first-graders, but you can only pick 17, which is definitely a good headache to have."

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The second trial inmo against the sharks should not be just about winning but getting the right combinations. An example would be to start Burton and Crichton in the centres. Then have Hutchison and sexton in the halves to create a four point attack with Jeamon's soft hands at lock. Another option would be to start Crichton at fullback Hutchison and Sexton in the halves with Burton Partnering Xerri at centre with Salmon at lock forward. for a five point attack. We already know what a Burton and Hutchison combo looks like, also Burton and Sexton combo from last season.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The second trial inmo against the sharks should not be just about winning but getting the right combinations. An example would be to start Burton and Crichton in the centres. Then have Hutchison and sexton in the halves to create a four point attack with Jeamon's soft hands at lock. Another option would be to start Crichton at fullback Hutchison and Sexton in the halves with Burton Partnering Xerri at centre with Salmon at lock forward. for a five point attack. We already know what a Burton and Hutchison combo looks like, also Burton and Sexton combo from last season.
Hopefully we are competitive in the trial. I think that’s the most important part.

In 2022 and 2023 our first trials were ok. A draw v knights and
win v Canberra.

Then in both those years the sharks murdered us in the second trial when we were nearly full strength. It showed how far we were off the pace before the year even began

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Time will tell. From what I've seen Joseph O'Neill has way better footy IQ.
Time will tell. There isn't a huge difference in the modern game anyway. Hopefully we can hang on to O'Neil, they'd make a good combo

EL Hefe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have all 3 in the halves at once

Halfback - Hutch
5/8 - Burton
3/14 - Sexton

Solved

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How good that this is our problem...either Hutch or Sexton

I thought Hutch looked great in the first half...then Sexton looked just as good , if not better in the second half

I'm happy to go with whoever CC thinks will benefit the team the most.

This weeks trial will be really interesting in regards to the number 7 position. I dare say whoever performs better will get the gig...it's that close

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
I agree 100%

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Woods isn't a 7 from what I've seen. He's a 6 or 1.
Early days.. but he can organize and swing across the field.

He is just a proper friggin half like Cleary and Thurston before him.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to have some options at 7. Thought Hutch did a great job digging in and allowing space for his outside men, kicking was better than Burton i thought as well. The game opened up more when Sexton was on but again he did a great job. If Burton struggles it could be a Sexton/ Hutch in the halves.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Would love to see Sex and Hutch start the trial tomorrow. See how that combo goes against a strong side that would want to win after their loss to Newy. Its really hard, Hutch seems to add a calmness and his long kicking game is good. Sexton clearly has more natural ability and attacking upside. Buton has 3-5 rounds imo to improve from last year or we really need to think about moving him to centre or possibly trading him. The media would be all over us if we dropped him to cup.