To walk or not to walk

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In cricket, if you edge a ball, should you walk or not?

Gilchrist is famous for walking. What about the rest of us?

Personally, I have edged plenty and stood my ground without the umpire raising his finger. In my opinion, it's up to the umpire to give you out. If he doesn't then you stay.

Others see this as bad sportsmanship. I disagree. The onus should not be on the batsmen, it should be on the umpire.

.PARANoIR.

I stole this off Charisma
Reaction score
I'm honestly split on it the decision, me personally, when i played i walked, but in the same respect, if you were in a crucial match, and you edged it, but you're not sure whether the umpire will give you...you're generally gonna wait around.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never walk! Make the umpire earn their keep!

However in saying that if you do walk just once you can never go back! You have to walk everytime to justify the fact you walked before!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
walk

if you know you nicked it, its the sporting thing to do

i once stopped a ref from awarding me a try by telling him i had dropped it just before i put it down

i really felt good about myself

but tbh we were winning well at that stage plus league is different from batting, because in league you continue playing even if you give yourself up
(thats if your teammates dont kill you)

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The umpire is there to a job of deciding whether an incident is out or not out. And the fact that they often get it wrong is another reason as to why not to walk when you are out, because when you arent out you can still be robbed.

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
Is this concerning hussey being given not out well he did get a feather touch on it and it would have been difficult for the umpire to hear that with all the noise in the background.

Very difficult job it would be trying to umpire a match but back to walking it really is up to the batsmen on that day gilly walked he was just getting voices tellin him to walk that day in the world cup semi final.

sonnyfaifan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In cricket, if you edge a ball, should you walk or not?

Gilchrist is famous for walking. What about the rest of us?

Personally, I have edged plenty and stood my ground without the umpire raising his finger. In my opinion, it's up to the umpire to give you out. If he doesn't then you stay.

Others see this as bad sportsmanship. I disagree. The onus should not be on the batsmen, it should be on the umpire.
well if you don't walk don't complain when others nick it and are given not out.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well gilly walkes every time he nicks it and still gets bad decision i.e. i think it was the sydney test match with warne at the other end. He went for a wide one and hit the ground and was given out.

I say dont walk.

If you walk then you are out even though you had a second chance. So it is sort of payback for all the times you are not out but given out.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
well if you don't walk don't complain when others nick it and are given not out.
Mate, that's a different story altogether if it's edged and the umpire gives it not out. I'm talking about the onus on the batsmen to walk.

If an opposing bastmen edged it and umpire said not out, I don't excpect him to walk. Stay at your crease...the umpire didn't give you out. As Hussey said, he takes the bad, so why not also take the good?

When bad luck comes your way, people say, "oh that's the way it goes, just cop it on the chin". However, when good luck comes, are you supposed to say no to it? Hell no. Take it and run away with it.

Take the bad with the good and take the good with the bad.

You don't see tennis players saying "oh yes chair umpire that was actually in, it's advantage my opposition".

The batsmen are there to bat not umpire. Umpires are there to umpire. Makes perfect sense to me, I don't see it it could be looked at in any other way.

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
I Won't Walk

By Michael Hussey

January 21, 2007 12:00

TO walk or not to walk has become a major issue after the controversy at the Gabba on Friday night.

There's a simple solution to the debate that has raged since WG Grace first donned creams: if you're given not out, you're not out.

The umpires are there to officiate. It's their job to decide whether a batsmen is in or out and that is why I will never walk.

There was some contention over whether I nicked a James Anderson ball to wicketkeeper Paul Nixon when I was on 19.

The fact is umpire Daryl Harper gave me not out. Did I hit it? It was a close call.

Yes, there were words exchanged with the bowler and I told Anderson: "I don't walk, mate.''

Why are the umpires there if we take the job out of their hands?

My dad taught me very early on that the man in white is always right. It might be a cliche, but it's a good one to play by.

I have always tried to accept their decisions, whether they are good or bad. I have always played the game as hard as I can. I crave success and want to be out there as long as I can.

If you look back on your career when you retire and weigh it up, there will be times when things work in your favour - and times when they don't.

It's strange how luck seems to go your way if you are in a rich vein of form and then deserts you when you are not.

Adam Gilchrist has been quite public in his willingness to walk. I have huge admiration for Gilly for taking that stand, but it's not me.

The umpires in general do a fantastic job under very difficult circumstances soI put my full trust in their ability to call it as they seeit from their end.

At 5-103 in the 30th over, chasing 155, it was important to build a patient partnership. We couldn't afford to lose more wickets.

While our run chase was on, there was plenty of banter coming at me from behind the stumps.

English wicketkeeper Paul Nixon likes to havea chat. To be honest, the Gabba crowd was so vocal that I couldn't hear a lot of what he was saying. But most of it wasn't very complimentary.

I've played against him in county cricket in England and he's one of those cricketers who says plenty out on the field.

So it was pleasing to have the last word - at least on Friday night.

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well in the end..he has never walked before..so why should he start now?

If your a walker..then thats fine..but if your not..thats also fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.