To Be The Greatest: Hazem El Masri

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
To Be The Greatest: Hazem El Masri

http://www.nrl.com/to-be-the-greatest-hazem-el-masri/tabid/10874/newsid/74728/default.aspx

As the 2013 NRL Telstra Premiership Finals Series hits fever pitch, NRL.com looks back at some of the greatest moments in the history of post-regular season playoffs.

These are some of the great action snapshots that have made the NRL Finals so memorable, with each and every one etched into Rugby League’s rich folklore.

Keep coming back as NRL.com takes a trip down memory lane to remember some of the greatest moments in NRL Finals.
It was going to be one of the greatest individual tries ever scored in NRL Finals – but then came an astonishing try-saving tackle from Bulldogs winger Hazem El Masri.

In the 2003 Final between the Storm and Canterbury, Melbourne’s Steven Bell was given the ball flat-footed inside his own half, with his team trailing 4-0 in the 16th minute.

Bell was confronted with a fast-closing Matt Utai, but the Storm centre managed to shrug off Utai’s would-be tackle before stepping off his right foot to beat forward Steve Reardon cold.

As Bell speared through a gap and commenced a long, swerving run right through the heart of the Bulldogs’ defence, he skipped past a desperate ankle tap and then stepped off his left foot to go straight by fullback Luke Patten, who was left off balance and floundering on the turf due to the change of direction.

Bell skipped out of another tackle and was on his way to the try line. Glory beckoned.

But then a desperate Hazem El Masri came from seemingly nowhere to latch hold of Bell from the waist; in the same motion he managed to turn Bell onto his back and prevent him putting the ball down as the pair slid into the in-goal.

It was a miraculous tackle that changed the course of the game – The Bulldogs would go on to claim a 30-0 victory.

Bit of memory lane for us!

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get goosebumps remembering that try saving tackle. El Masri wasn't the flashiest, fastest winger out there but he gave it his all every second he was out on the paddock and rarely put a foot wrong.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I can remember a pass that he did to someone where they wrapped around him on a blind side with about a metre of space left and he passed it without looking and they scored, was a great try!

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
[video=youtube;I-mjMG5rdXU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-mjMG5rdXU[/video]

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bill Harrigan LOL so young.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
'It was a miraculous tackle that changed the course of the game – The Bulldogs would go on to claim a 30-0 victory.'

Magic tackle from one of the greats!!
I love this last line though..Bulldogs went onto win 30-0 and this changed the course of the game? What were the Doggies down minus 10?

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Really really miss El-magic, he was a true professional on and off the field

Packy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great tackle. Shows how smart a player he was. So many players tackle and hang on and ignore the situation.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I got asked the other day whom i thought was my all time favourite player in Rugby league... I Looked at him and said El Masri. He laughed. I said chek the record books. ;) On and off the field he was and is Brilliant! Future Mayor ;)

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Clearly remember that game. I was 10 and it was my first semi. Was sitting right behind that goal post when that happened. The whole stadium were yelling "Bring on the Roosters!" then we got pumped a week later...

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think mine was over Katy Ireland in a bikini in 'weekend at Bernie's', but clearly you love the dogs even more than me...
I knew someone would say that. All immature around here.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
*sigh*.....those were the days

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not enough El-magics in our club or even the NRL nowadays...absolute legend

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
I can remember a pass that he did to someone where they wrapped around him on a blind side with about a metre of space left and he passed it without looking and they scored, was a great try!
One of the best tries! It was against the Northern Eagles at Bluetongue stadium in 2001 (From memory)... I think Darren Smith scored the try, Hazem El Brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.