Titans, Broncos in queue for Bulldogs star Ben Barba

Status
Not open for further replies.

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score

BEN Barba's future at Canterbury is not yet guaranteed beyond this season, with the reigning Dally M medallist featuring in recruitment talks with two Queensland clubs.

The Courier-Mail understands Gold Coast and Brisbane have been sounded out over their willingness to sign Barba from the Bulldogs in 2014.

Although officials from all three clubs were yesterday tight-lipped about the negotiations, the move north will only stand a chance if Canterbury convince Israel Folau to return to rugby league.

Gold Coast CEO David May last night denied any knowledge of his club being approached, with his Bulldogs counterpart Todd Greenberg giving the same answer.

Brisbane chief executive Paul White and recruitment manager Andrew Gee did not return calls.

With Folau tipped to command in excess of $750,000-a-season, the Bulldogs cannot accommodate both him and Barba under the salary cap.

Several forces have earmarked Barba as the player to make way for the Wallaby squad member, should the ARU and Waratahs fail to extend Folau's one-year rugby dalliance.

The first is Barba's current contract value. He signed a four-year extension midway through 2011 when he was on the cusp of being dropped to NSW Cup.

The deal reflected Barba's standing at that time, but appeared paltry within just 12 months after he was crowned the game's top player.

Read More http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ti...-star-ben-barba/story-fndv2w3r-1226661441671#

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Sounds like a good swap to me. Although a bit of consistent reporting wouldn't go astray. Last week it was Morris leaving

vietorious

pho-lawless
Reaction score

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
vietorious yeah mate hard to know what's really going on though to me it sounds like Barba's camp pushing for a pay rise more than anything, the kids been through alot this year

Barba needs to show he can get back to his best and if that happens than he's entitled to a pay rise. He's an out and out superstar and players like him deserve whatever they

can earn out of the game. But he must prove to the club that he has got his life in order off the field firstly than secondly prove his worth on the field by recapturing last years

form then and only than should he be demanding anything. It works both ways.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FUCK OFF FOLAU ! Please Todd, give Barba a million dollars or anything that he asks, hell..even fuck of T- Rex to free up space. Barba is the future of the bulldogs. We should sign him up for life and build a team around him

Last edited by a moderator:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Would be interesting to know what $$$ Barba is on, I think we should upgrade his contract to a genuine price reflective of his abilities and also he should repay some loyalty towards the club who has stood by and helped him through this difficult time....after this if there is room for Folau then entertain the idea but to lose Barba to gain Folau on more money seems stupid. The big question here though is does Barba want to play at Canterbury and this should be asked ASAP so we can get Folau at all costs if Barba wants to leave.

raz7au

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
Bye bye benny bye bye, Take your mistake riddled game with you!

Not sure Falou is the be all and end all though

Jigga

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If anyone has to go to keep Barba it has to be Williams, anyway this all smells of media BS to me...

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
raz7au a bit harsh on Barba there mate. He has been one of our best players over the last 18 months and if he's starting to look dangerous again(just in time for the big Manly game).

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree, as good as benny is, he has to show a bit of loyalty to the club. The doggies signed him up when QLD clubs didn't think he could cut it at the top level. I think the news of folau coming on big bucks might've created a bit of disharmony, which led to barba's management asking for an upgrade. If you ask me, I reckon he deserves an upgrade or is certainly worth more now than his current contract reflects. Give him an upgrade but also extend his stay beyond 2014, He is a super star and is capable of delivering a premiership.Last year his good mate DCE successfully negotiated an extended deal that better reflects his standing in the game.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Total bullshit ! How contradictory is this story ??
In one paragraph, the say Barbas not on much money and in the next paragraph they say we cant afford two superstars like Barba and Folau ??
Another made up, telecrap, tabloid article ! FFS, I swear sometimes its like reading Womans Weekly !!

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
This sounds to me like another pile of absolute Bull Sh1t from The Telecrap!

Fisrt line of the 2nd paragraph "The Daily Telegraph understands..........." LOL

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Massive lol. No quotes in there. Last week they said Morris back to dragons to accommodate Folau. While Todd has said we can't afford Folau. If Ben has any decency he'll stick with the dogs to repay the faith we have shown in him!

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have taken a major step forward with fullback Ben Barba becoming the first player at the Club to sign through to the 2015 NRL season.

Currently the NRL’s leading try scorer with 14 tries so far in 2011, Barba has made a long term commitment to the Blue and White in signing an upgraded contract for 2012 and a new deal stretching over seasons 2013-15.

The re-signing was announced this afternoon at the Bulldogs second annual SMS Luncheon at Doltone House, Jones Bay Wharf.

“First things first, we are over the moon that Ben has committed to the Bulldogs long term,” Bulldogs Chief Executive Officer Todd Greenberg says.

“He’s simply an outstanding talent and every NRL fan would acknowledge what he has meant to our team both in terms of the 2011 season and in the years since his debut.

“In addition to his football and pure athletic ability, he’s an excitement machine. People want to watch him in full flight, which is great for our team and for us as a Club.

“It’s also fitting that we were able to announce that Ben would be with us through to at least 2015 at our SMS Lunch as the event is all about recognising the good things that our players do for community causes.

“Ben is a real role model and for someone so young he has shown great maturity in recent times. He’s a father of two, is deeply committed to his family and also to his indigenous culture. We certainly look to him as a leader both on and off the field in the years to come.”

22 year old Barba debuted in the NRL for the Bulldogs late in the 2008 season and to date has played 46 top grade matches for the Club.

In addition to topping the competition’s try scoring tally so far in 2011, he finished 2010 as the Club’s highest try scorer with 15 in 21 matches.

Taking the reins at fullback for the Club this season, Barba’s talent was recognised by his being named in a star-studded 25-man Queensland State of Origin Squad back in April.

“I’m very excited to confirm that I will be at the Bulldogs long term,” Barba says.

“It’s a pretty big step for myself and my family. The Club has treated me well ever since I got here and I wanted to stay a Bulldog and build a career here.

“I’ve always wanted to be a leader at the Bulldogs and signing until 2015 will see me mature as a player and as a person.

“Being so young there is always room to improve and I just want to continue to learn over these next few years and ultimately keep getting better whilst playing some good football for the Club.”

Barba will line up at fullback for the Bulldogs in Friday’s Bandaged Bear Cup clash against the Parramatta Eels at ANZ Stadium.
Simple google search would of helped those sh!t for brains DT grubs.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
There is a lot of inconsistency with this... Where did they fudge 750k figure for Izzy?

Im sure barba is on good coin with us plus the sponsorship endorsements he gets as well

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Lol it is classic, first Morris now Barba. Second they say people remain tight lipped. Well broncos boss no reply, the other two said no.

The other top bit is they are saying we need to shred some serious money to land Folau yet list Barba as a under paid player basically stating he re-signed at 2011 for 4 years when he was a very fringe player.

Further more I truely believe Barba is the most vital piece for us with our props (Graham & Kasiano)

outoforder

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Fuck that. Greenberg and co would be making a big mistake in my eyes if they let him go.

Barba is a wonderful talent and made supporting this club bearable through the joker years of 2008-2011.

C

colebran

Couldn't agree more
Forget Folau
Piss off that lazy shit T Rex if we need money
Offer Barba 750k per season for 4 yrs ASAP

We cannot lose Barba - Greenburg knows this. I just hope our new CEO does as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.