Time to make some tough decisions selectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The selectors need to make some tough calls for the sydeny test.

Hayden- has been one of Australias best openers of all time- but it's time for him to be put aside. No longer can we afford to be one, two or three down for thirty odd

Symonds-offers very little at the moment due to form and fitness- his bowling is restricted his fielding is hampered and his form with the bat doesn't suggest that he is in the top six in the country. His form and attitude will be assessed when he is back to 100% fitness

Hauritz- Has only taken 14 1st class wickets in 18 months. Doesn't suggest to me that he is going to rip through a side and take six wickets. I know they played him in to tie up an end but, Michael Clarke can do this just as effectively.

Lee- injured may struggle to ever make it back into the side

My team for sydney would be

1. Katich
2. Rogers (until Jacques is fit)
3. Ponting (c)
4. Michael Hussey (needs to hit some form or he will be shown the door within five matches)
5. Michael Clarke( VC)
6. David Hussey
7. Brad Haddin
8. Beau Casson (more economical than Krezja and more likely to take a bag of wickets than Hauritz)
9. Mitchel Johnson
10. Ben Hilfenhaus
11. doug Bollinger (staurt Clark when fit)

12th man Siddle

the upcoming one dayers i would also try some new guys

1. Dighton
2. watson
3.Ponting (c)
4. Clarke (vc)
5. Dave Hussey
6.Mike Hussey
7. Haddin
8. henriques
9. Johnson
10. Tait
11. Braken

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
I say blood that Hughes kiddie.

Why are we wrapping him in cotton wool ?

morgandogs

ARMIT LOVE
Reaction score
in the one daysers id also look at giving dom thornley a game or two

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say blood that Hughes kiddie.

Why are we wrapping him in cotton wool ?
He is definantly a good player who i would take to south Africa- and i think that he will develop into one of the best openers in world cricket- but i think it's important to see that he can produce year after year prior to him playing a test. If he tours it will increase his confidence and get him into the realms of international cricket without applying to much pressure.

B

billiris

jason kreyza should be in the side. the reqason he was getting smashed around in perth is because the wicket was flat as hell. he puts plenty of spin on the ball and although not as economical as some of the other aussie spinners around, because of the turn that he gets, hes more likely to get a wicket.

I also find it hard to believe that katich hasnt got a go. hes gotten a few wickets before and he can spin the ball both ways. Ponting needs to take risks to win test mnatches against top sides like south africa.

.PARANoIR.

I stole this off Charisma
Reaction score
Sydney should be Hayden's finale, for mine. Then for the SA Tour, Jacques gets the gig, if fit.

1. Hayden
2. Katich
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. North
6. M Hussey
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Hauritz
10. Siddle
11. Hilfenhaus.
12. Bolinger

Can't see them debuting two quicks in one game, so Siddle will live to fight another day. Hilfy has to get the gig because he can bowl genuine outswing, at pace. Symonds and Watson both won't play due to injury. I think Marcus North should be given the shot, plus can bowl handy offies.

If they want an all rounder, and since people are so keen on throwing 20 year olds that aren't ready into play test cricket, give Moises Henriques a go.

B

Ben Godberts

Marcus North ?????? David Hussey is twice the player. North hasn't made runs for yonks

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
He is definantly a good player who i would take to south Africa- and i think that he will develop into one of the best openers in world cricket- but i think it's important to see that he can produce year after year prior to him playing a test. If he tours it will increase his confidence and get him into the realms of international cricket without applying to much pressure.
Fair call Gibbo ....... Cheers !

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
whats wrong with Bracken....at lest he can work the ball, swing both ways....he should get a go...

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
whats wrong with Bracken....at lest he can work the ball, swing both ways....he should get a go...
Bracken really struggles with the red ball for some reason- tends to bowl a defensive line in tests and four day cricket ,therefore he struggles to take wickets as the batters have a lot more time to really sit back and leave a lot of deliveries and negate any swing he may produce. It's a shame really as i would rate him in the top 3 one day bowlers in international cricket.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sydney should be Hayden's finale, for mine. Then for the SA Tour, Jacques gets the gig, if fit.

1. Hayden
2. Katich
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. North
6. M Hussey
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Hauritz
10. Siddle
11. Hilfenhaus.
12. Bolinger

Can't see them debuting two quicks in one game, so Siddle will live to fight another day. Hilfy has to get the gig because he can bowl genuine outswing, at pace. Symonds and Watson both won't play due to injury. I think Marcus North should be given the shot, plus can bowl handy offies.

If they want an all rounder, and since people are so keen on throwing 20 year olds that aren't ready into play test cricket, give Moises Henriques a go.
Don't mind your call about Henriques- definantly the most promising allrounder in the country. WOuld certainly rate him over Watson and Symonds with the ball as he is a genuine Wicket taker and can even take the new ball if needed.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bracken really struggles with the red ball for some reason- tends to bowl a defensive line in tests and four day cricket ,therefore he struggles to take wickets as the batters have a lot more time to really sit back and leave a lot of deliveries and negate any swing he may produce. It's a shame really as i would rate him in the top 3 one day bowlers in international cricket.
I don't like the fact that Bracken has been pigeon-holed as a one day player...he is a better bowler than any of the guys in the side at this moment imo, he can also bat....I hope he gets picked for Syd

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't like the fact that Bracken has been pigeon-holed as a one day player...he is a better bowler than any of the guys in the side at this moment imo, he can also bat....I hope he gets picked for Syd

Not really pigeon holing the bloke as a one day bowler- but for those who watch a lot of domestic cricket, will be able to atest to the fact that he does not take near as many wickets or bowl as effectivley in four day cricket as he does in fifty over and twenty twenty cricket. As i said in a previous thread that he is in the top three oney day bowlers in the world- but he just does not perform at the same level in the longer versions. I wish he did but he simply doesn't. He was tried a few years ago and bowled to defensivley and without much effect

Status
Not open for further replies.