Time for the Bulldogs and Hasler to part ways

Status
Not open for further replies.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
THE BULLDOGS are no closer to winning a premiership since the day they hired Des Hasler and it is probably time club and coach parted ways.

When former Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg headhunted Hasler back in 2011, he did so on the back of a promise that the premiership would return to Belmore.

Hasler had just won his second premiership as coach of the Manly Sea Eagles and was considered one, if not the, best coach in the NRL.

Fast forward five years and despite making two grand finals in 2012 and 2014, the Bulldogs now look further from their first title since 2004 than ever.

Make no mistake, Hasler is an excellent coach but the problem with his tenure at the Bulldogs is that he has failed to evolve his side’s style of play to suit the ever changing competition.

Which is strange because Hasler has always been such an innovator – just take a look at the way he initially transformed the club when he took the reins back in 2012. He gave the forwards more responsibility in the playmaking department, and boy did it pay dividends.

The tactic was a revelation as the Dogs stormed to a grand final in Hasler’s first year in charge on the back of a massive pack who had the ability to play at and through the line.

But here we are four years on and that is still the Dogs’ go-to play. What’s happened to Des the innovator?

The good sides have clearly figured them out. Just take a look at their record against the elite sides this year – in six attempts against top four opposition the Bulldogs have enjoyed just one win. One win.

Half a decade at the helm of a club is more than enough time to mould a squad to your liking capable of getting the job done.

However, he hasn’t got the job done – simple as that. And it’s fair to say the Bulldogs look the least threatening side in the finals.

They might be good for an arm wrestle but that will get you only so far in September.

Five-eighth Josh Reynolds is a true competitor but struggles to get his backline going at times and doesn’t have the playmaking skills to make the players around him better.

Moses Mbye looked like the next big thing last season but has regressed in his development this year and seems to be a victim of the forward-dominated approach that suffocates his unique skill set.

In Brett Morris the Dogs have a true finisher but the tactics Hasler employs makes it hard for his workmen-like backs to consistently create the opportunities necessary for Morris to shine.

In 2012 Hasler’s ball playing big men were a thing of beauty and a real game changer . . . but the game has moved on.

If Greenberg’s 2011 promise of a premiership is to come to fruition sooner rather than later, then maybe it is is time Hasler moved on.

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/bulldogs-sack-des-hasler/

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saddest thing is, he'll get the boot and another club will benefit.

Des won't learn until it's too late.. For us.
Does not matter if another club benefits. End of the day, he will continue to play this style that will get our club nowhere.
If he left today and won a comp in 2017 I would never say "that should have been us".
What's that definition of insanity? Trying the same thing and expecting a different result? That is seriously how I have felt from 2013 onwards.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Way I see it is that he has turned us into a regular finals team, with pretty successful finals record.
5 years on, and the players aren't responding to his style of play, and their skill set relative to the rest of the competition is going backwards.

Time for some fresh ideas me thinks.

Fuck off Des

Malla

Reaction score
This article fails to mention Des' poor retention and recruitment over the years. We lost Barba, Ennis, Franky, Rona, Finucane etc and who did we get to replace them? Nobody. T-Rex forced a few out and now he's on the way out. If anything, it's not so much the coaching I am upset at, it's the really poor recruitment.

Reactions: DT

Minion

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Which is strange because Hasler has always been such an innovator
The fact is that Hasler had (not has) always been such an innovator. Not anymore, he refuses to change with the times and allow or encourage the players to adapt to new tactics.
Hasler has become a Hasbeen.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Des is signed for the 2017 season!
Apparently the club is in deep discussions to extend his tenure to 2019.
I have not heard any rumblings of Des moving!
So the chances of Des being replaced for 2017 are zero.
Therefore what needs to happen and happen quickly is some changes to the squad so that we can challenge the top sides next season for the premiership.
I don't think really we are that far away from the top teams if:-
Halfback needs to be sorted out.
Also hooker.
Much better kicking games from 7 & 6.

Season 2016 looks like a bust. I'll take whatever success comes in the next two weeks as a bonus.

Lets gather again in Match next year with a few more strings to the bow. But Des will still be running the show.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Fast forward five years and despite making two grand finals in 2012 and 2014, the Bulldogs now look further from their first title since 2004 than ever.
Please. We got the fucking spoon in 2008. That's the definition of being as far as possible from a premiership lol.

Dog Till I Die

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Send him back to Manly.

Bring in Ivan Cleary along with Michael Hagan or Mick Potter
What about Jim Dymock? He's the heart and soul of our club. He bleeds blue and white. And he's not afraid to make the tough decisions. Doubt very much he'd have brought Shwilliams over. Or neutered our backline.

But, yes, I'd certainly have Cleary over in some capacity.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Des the cancer is ruining our precious time of our precious talents.

He is career killer.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The fact is that Hasler had (not has) always been such an innovator. Not anymore, he refuses to change with the times and allow or encourage the players to adapt to new tactics.
Hasler has become a Hasbeen.
My theory is that Hasler has given up on the NRL since the game is fast becoming a joke.. one example of that is players don't even touch the ball with their feet anymore in the play the ball - THAT IS THE MOST BASIC RULE OF THE GAME. It was one of the first things I was taught when I played league as a teenager. The rule changes every season as well. The nrl is butchering the game and I think Hasler is over them censoring his opinions, so now he just shuts up and says nothing controversial and gets his paycheck. I honestly believe he has passion for the game but the nrl is killing it. What do you think the nrl will look like in 100 years time? Personally I think it will be unrecognisable with all these bs rule changes every year.

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Great article and points out what a lot of people have been saying on here. With the club having quite a large turnover of players for the 2017 season, I think if we don't see a change in our game plan / play style for next year then it's time for him to move on.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Des's main problem is that he hasn't had a half that can genuinely control a game and one he can trust. That's why he has been so heavily invested in the forwards. They used to say that if you had a awesome forward pack, your grandma could be the halfback and woyld shine. This was true back in the era of when it was a bash up derby. Not these days, these days you need good wingers to finish tries off and a good spine which consists of only one forward, the hooker. Des has evolved, true, however we have spent our cap on the forwards and dont have a great spine. We would be the only club without a genuine halfback or fullback. That speaks for itself. Even our hooker cant play the role of playmaker like most hookers, because Des wont let him. Des needs a Foran like half in the side. He needs a genuine fullback that can ball play and be a x factor and assist our backline to score tries off set plays. Time for us to offload our plodder forwards that get in the way and also time for us to get a ball playing half and fullback. Until then we are stuck with this one dimensional style of play because that is what he has invested in. Yes it worked for one season, but it didnt take long for us to get found out and teams shut us down. Move on Des and lets start playing footy !!! Bring back the Entertainers !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.