Tigers to test Benji understudy

Status
Not open for further replies.

alz_274

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
hahaha benji is named injury-prone, interesting article though but i dont think chris lawrence will be able to handle the position of 5/8

Wests Tigers will test teenage sensation Chris Lawrence's suitability as a long-term five-eighth understudy to injury-prone Benji Marshall in Sunday's NRL clash with Newcastle.

The 18-year-old, who is in scorching attacking form with six tries in his past five games, has played a key role for the Tigers off the interchange bench this season.

But coach Tim Sheens is ready to give Lawrence a chance in the halves after relegating Liam Fulton to the bench following Monday's 38-8 loss to Parramatta, which ended a six-match winning streak.

"I think we need to groom another option in that area for us for down the track," Sheens said.

"We're going to experiment with Chris there and see whether or not he'll become another option there for us in the event of injury to our key (number) seven and six."

Sheens said Lawrence would bring the Tigers much-needed speed in the middle of the park with Fulton, who has played at five eighth since Marshall's shoulder injury against Melbourne in round eight, hitting a form slump.

"Liam's game is down a bit," said Sheens. "He's been a bit hot and cold this year. He's been trying to regain the form of `05.

"There were a number of things I wasn't happy about (in his game).

"Chris is a lot quicker on that edge, much quicker, and I think Liam is more a second row or lock."

"He's not slow but he's not quick as in Marshall or Lawrence quick and I think the extra speed on the edge is what we were looking for (against Parramatta)."

Sheens has not yet named a captain for Sunday's match at EnergyAustralia Stadium with news regular skipper Brett Hodgson will miss at least eight weeks and undergo surgery on cheekbone and eye socket fractures suffered against the Eels.

With the Tigers missing both Hodgson and Marshall, Sheens was looking for his players to step up even more.

"A key player like Brett is a big loss to the team so it falls on the other guys to step and do a bit more work," Sheens said.

"There's a leadership group in the team, it's the (Robbie) Farahs and (Todd) Paytens, (John) Morris and that sort of player - there's plenty of them and we're not rookies.

"But leadership is not about telling people what to do, it's about leading by example and taking a bit more responsibility, lifting their own effort five per cent.

"If a get a five per cent lift from everyone I'll be happy with that."

Sheens said Marshall was about to enter the next phase of his recovery from shoulder surgery.

"He's out of the sling tomorrow and then it's just a matter of time and healing ... but I'm not putting a time frame on it," he said.

alz_274

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
i think he either will do ok or just be sh*t, hes a type of player where u give him the ball to score not to set up plays or be an orchestrator, gl to him nonetheless but im not expecting him to do well

T

tallis12

i think he either will do ok or just be sh*t, hes a type of player where u give him the ball to score not to set up plays or be an orchestrator, gl to him nonetheless but im not expecting him to do well
Yeh ive been watchin this kid for a while and was at his debut game last year hes a special talent i think he can do it if he puts his mind to it but if i was him i would dummy and run!!

alz_274

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
he is a special talent and i dont wanna sound like every other "insider" on the kennel, but my mate used to play club footy agenst him n he said that he was a freak of talent, he also played agenst shannon mcdonell and jarryd hayne who he said was the best player he ever played agenst, a flyer too

T

tallis12

he is a special talent and i dont wanna sound like every other "insider" on the kennel, but my mate used to play club footy agenst him n he said that he was a freak of talent, he also played agenst shannon mcdonell and jarryd hayne who he said was the best player he ever played agenst, a flyer too
Koolies good stuff so you should know more about him then.lol:p

Yeh hes lookin like a good prospect i just hope the media dosent rip him apart if he does something wrong leave the young kids alone!!

alz_274

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
so that aside whos going to win origin maroons or sky blue poofs

Matty B

Reaction score
Tim Sheens has great foresight, he realises that he has an injury prone 5/8th and he probably sees Lawrence as a good future/backup option, hes a good player with a bit of time should do well.

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lawrence played at 5/8 earlier in the yr when Benji was out injured(during the game) and got MoM he can really sniff out a good option lol

Status
Not open for further replies.