News Tigers send out SOS to exiled NRL star

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Wests Tigers have reached out to former NRL player Jackson Hastings about joining the club immediately.

Hastings, 25, hasn't played in the NRL since 2018 after he was shown the door by the Manly Sea Eagles following a fall out with skipper Daly Cherry-Evans and coach at the time, Trent Barrett.

Following the Tigers' disappointing start to the season, the club has sent an SOS to the 2019 Man of Steel award winner, with hopes of a quick move which would likely put pressure on current halfback Luke Brooks.

Brooks, who's understood to be on a deal worth close to $900,000, has copped the brunt of criticism for the club's early struggles this year.

a close up of Jackson Hastings in a baseball game: Wigan Warriors' Jackson Hastings on his way to scoring his side's sixth try of the game during the Betfred Super League match at the Totally Wicked Stadium, St Helens. (Photo by Mike Egerton/PA Images via Getty Images)
© Getty Wigan Warriors' Jackson Hastings on his way to scoring his side's sixth try of the game during the Betfred Super League match at the Totally Wicked Stadium, St Helens. (Photo by Mike Egerton/PA Images via Getty Images)

According to Sydney Morning Herald and Nine News rugby league reporter Michael Chammas, the Tigers met with Hastings' management today surrounding an immediate return to the NRL.

"The Wests Tigers want Jackson Hastings at the club immediately," Chammas told Nine News Sydney.

"The Tigers met with Hastings' manager today and are hopeful of gaining a release from his deal with Wigan in the Super League this season.

"The Tigers, they insist this is not a reflection of their faith in Luke Brooks, however, there is no doubt pressure if mounting after a disappointing start to the year."

WWOS

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think they're going to dig themselves into a even deeper hole if they panic sign Hastings who was pretty average at NRL level and they still have Mbye who's on 800k, Leilua on 700k, Brooks on 900k..... Crazy!

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think they're going to dig themselves into a even deeper hole if they panic sign Hastings who was pretty average at NRL level and they still have Mbye who's on 800k, Leilua on 700k, Brooks on 900k..... Crazy!
Stupid is as stupid does....do you really expect anything less from the tigers??? :grinning:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Tyrone May and Adam Reynolds should be their targets. Imo Hastings would be dumb to leave Wigan right now after losing 2x GFs in a row and now arguably favorites to win the title with the addition of J.Bateman.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They also have douehi on 800k. How could they even afford him. Despite not being proven in the nrl, he is going to pump up his value with the whole man of steel thing.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I know most people don't, but I feel sorry for Tigers fans. That merger has been a disaster since day one, they let go of all their best juniors, got fucked over by Cleary and now Madge is making more desperation, cap fucking signings than Des. They're the worst run club in the league by a mile and they keep compounding the problem.

At least they got themselves a good player in Laurie.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know most people don't, but I feel sorry for Tigers fans. That merger has been a disaster since day one, they let go of all their best juniors, got fucked over by Cleary and now Madge is making more desperation, cap fucking signings than Des. They're the worst run club in the league by a mile and they keep compounding the problem.

At least they got themselves a good player in Laurie.
I do not feel sorry for them whatsoever.

They are a new club, and should of owned that. It may of risked putting some supporters offside, but you can't grow as an organization if:

1. You have multiple home grounds across a widespread geographic (at one stage, they were playing at the SFS, Cambo and Leichhardt). Absolutely bonkers. Pick a home ground, play at the other SPORADICALLY, and own that corridor.
  2. They call themselves WEST Tigers, but Leichhardt isn't even the West. Inner West, maybe.. but West?
  3. They want to reap the benefits of multiple grassroots level, but clearly the abundance of their juniors are coming through that Western channel. Stop trying to put yourselves out there as a "We're for Sydney approach".
  4. Terrible decisions by their owners. Who in their right mind would hire JT after he got punched out by his own player. And Mick Potter was also a bad signing. Bloke took St Helens to a GF with a star studded side, and lost it. Factor in his poor managerial time at Bradford plus Catalans (albeit when they were first starting out...) - not smart move. Plus the Ivan Cleary debacle. It was Des 2.0

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I do not feel sorry for them whatsoever.

They are a new club, and should of owned that. It may of risked putting some supporters offside, but you can't grow as an organization if:

1. You have multiple home grounds across a widespread geographic (at one stage, they were playing at the SFS, Cambo and Leichhardt). Absolutely bonkers. Pick a home ground, play at the other SPORADICALLY, and own that corridor.
  2. They call themselves WEST Tigers, but Leichhardt isn't even the West. Inner West, maybe.. but West?
  3. They want to reap the benefits of multiple grassroots level, but clearly the abundance of their juniors are coming through that Western channel. Stop trying to put yourselves out there as a "We're for Sydney approach".
  4. Terrible decisions by their owners. Who in their right mind would hire JT after he got punched out by his own player. And Mick Potter was also a bad signing. Bloke took St Helens to a GF with a star studded side, and lost it. Factor in his poor managerial time at Bradford plus Catalans (albeit when they were first starting out...) - not smart move. Plus the Ivan Cleary debacle. It was Des 2.0
I said I feel sorry for their fans. Put yourself in their shoes. They didn't do anything to deserve this. Wests and Balmain fans already lost their teams, then they have to go through this sham joint venture for the next twenty plus years.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I said I feel sorry for their fans. Put yourself in their shoes. They didn't do anything to deserve this. Wests and Balmain fans already lost their teams, then they have to go through this sham joint venture for the next twenty plus years.
I hate their fans even more.

Half my relatives go for them.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to see Jackson Hastings get another go in the NRL from a playing perspective and I don't necessarily think it is a bad move for the Tigers if properly considered money-wise and how he is to be incorporated into the squad... they have recruited well in Daine Laurie at fullback and should have a good enough hooker in Liddle or Simpkins... the issue for the Tigers is the money invested in Mbye (an almost total waste) and Brooks and his failure to live up to expectations

and as always with the Tigers, this move seems rushed, it would have to involve a significant commitment from the Tigers in terms of money and years to lure Hastings, and within 2 rounds the Tigers are announcing to everyone (including their own squad) that they suck and need a hail Mary play

and yes, I do feel sorry for genuine Balmain, Magpies and Wests Tigers fans... a thoroughly incompetent club

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Whoa hollering for Hastings, they are more than desperate. We (chooks) punted him as well.....dad Kev will jump in if young Jacko isn't treated real good.

Don't know why the panic after 2 weeks, man let sides settle a bit. Folk talk up the chooks, but the chooks have played against 2 really ordinary sides. Same as you guys, you're going through a rebuilding man but It's gonna come, I think you guys are heading the right way......and you will not get the spoon, "experts" should just STFU.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They call themselves WEST Tigers, but Leichhardt isn't even the West. Inner West, maybe.. but West?
Yeah that was their concession to the Western Suburbs side of the takeover..... oops...... I mean merger.

They continue to resign and sign players they feel they must have on inflated contracts and when they don't deliver they try their best to shuffle them off as quickly as possible to accommodate their next panic buy. They have pushed aside plenty of players in their 21 years of competing.I was listening to a Tigers fan on the radio last weekend and he was giving it to them deluxe about their recruitment and retention. Lots of dissatisfied supporters who are very unhappy at the way the club is run