Status
Not open for further replies.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wests Tigers defeat North Queensland Cowboys at Dairy Farmers Stadium

By staff writers with AAP
April 10, 2010

North Queensland Cowboys halfback Johnathan Thurston suffered a season-ending shoulder injury as his side succumbed to a 23-16 defeat against Wests Tigers.

The Queensland and Australian star suffered a subluxed left shoulder during the first half of the NRL clash at Dairy Farmers Stadium, one of several injuries in a brutal game.

Compounding the worries for the Cowboys was the sight of vice-captain and regular hooker Aaron Payne limping off with 10 minutes to go with a probable ankle injury.

Tigers halfback Tim Moltzen suffered an even more serious injury, ruling himself out for the rest of the season after a complete tear of his anterior cruciate and lateral ligaments in his left knee in the 15th minute of the match.

The Tigers won the game despite a second-half fight back from the Cowboys, with five-eighth Benji Marshall starring.

The New Zealand captain set up two tries and had a hand in a third in the first half to set-up the Tigers' win.

Trailing 18-2 at half-time, the Cowboys clawed their way back into the game in the second half with tries to Scott Bolton and Willie Tonga reducing the gap to six points and setting up a cracking finale.

Shannan Gallant had a chance to score against his former club in the 58th minute, but had the ball stripped from his grasp in a desperate one-on-one tackle from opposite number Beau Ryan.

Chris Lawrence sealed the result with his second try of the game inside the final five minutes while Anthony Watts barged over from dummy-half with 90 seconds remaining to score a consolation try.

Both clubs could also face meetings with the judiciary this week, with two players placed on report.

Cowboys firebrand Luke O'Donnell could be in the most hot water, sin binned in the shadows of half-time for an ugly tackle on Tigers fullback Ryan which saw his neck twisted and O'Donnell placed on report.

That penalty was the third in a row for the New South Wales representative who also launched a spray at referee Gavin Badger in the lead-up.

Andrew Fifita could also find himself in trouble for his high shot on James Tamou in the 14th minute.

Tigers prop Todd Payten also suffered a calf injury during the match.

Despite the loss, Cowboys coach Neil Henry praised his charges for standing up in the absence of Thurston and Payne with their second-half fight-back.

"Both coaches were lamenting those injuries," he said.

"Losing JT certainly is a big blow to us but we were very happy with how we fought back in the second half.

"Not much in it at the end, Shannon Gallant loses the ball over the line, John Williams takes that pass off Ray when he goes through there and he probably goes in under the posts.

"I'm very proud of how we handled the losses of a couple of key players."

Tigers coach Tim Sheens was proud of his side's ability to win "ugly" and stand up in the face of the fired-up Cowboys with no fresh forwards on the bench.

"We finished with 15 and there were some issues to come out of the game," he said.

"They played two games in one there tonight.

"Totally exhausted, that's what they were. They were hanging on.

"We came up with a couple of good plays and came up with a try to seal it so I can't get too hard on anyone."

AAP

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now lets see if he going piss off to rugby.. i wander whos going to take his place for SOO.. Cronk Or prince

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
sucks to be thurston, should bring his asking price down a bit now...

Both prince and cronk should play origin, prince at 5/8 and cronk at half. Lockyer is past his prime and needs to be put out to pasture

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They'll pick Cronk. Inglis and Slater was well as Cameron Smith will move it to his favor.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
A subluxed left shoulder? Sounds bad for the champ half, I reckon he will be back for round 19.

S

Squiz Ninja

Its not season ending, 4-6 weeks they were saying this morning.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cronk is pretty much automatic selection.

A few reasons:-

1.) He is actually playing, and playing well
2.) He is a lot younger
3.) Slayter, Inglis, Smith - he will fit in like a glove

Although Meninga does have a liking for Prince.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Rumored fracture to his shoulder socket when it's come out = Season ending. That's his second or third shoulder reconstruction, as I've heard he now needs another.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Yep, too much speculation. He'll have scans tomorrow and will know the outcome of the extent of the injury.

Easy selection for mine is to select Cooper Cronk. Ultra consistent and knows the ins and outs of Cam Smith, Slater, Inglis, co for origin and Australia if JT is ruled out for an extended period of time.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
"I went into the dressing room to see him," Sam Ayoub, in Townsville for contract talks with the Cowboys, told The Sun-Herald.

"I spoke to the doctor and they said they wouldn't know anything for sure until after the scans. But they think he might have torn some tendons in the shoulder, the rotator cuff and that sort of thing. I definitely can't come out and say he's out for the year, they weren't confident that it wasn't a long-term injury."
Ayoub is a pretty spot on normally.

The_General

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ayoub is a pretty spot on normally.
Not sure if you've mixed up the Ayoubs. Sam is a player manager. Tony is the physio.

It will have to be a pretty bad dislocation to put him out for the season. They would have to scan it to know for sure so that article is going off a bit early.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
LOL, with Bowen & Thurston out at the same time.

This is going to be a 2008 replay for them.

Guess we might not be the easy beats anymore :D

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
Damn those dirty Tigers.....They have been doing this since 2006.....grrrrrrr (yes I was at the game last night).

I also cannot believe that Willie Mason is being mooted as a Captain (yeah you have got to be kidding me some of you might think).

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thurston gets welcome injury news

Queensland and Australian half-back Johnathan Thurston will only miss between two and three weeks of rugby league after his shoulder injury was diagnosed as a muscle tear.

There were fears the North Queensland Cowboys skipper may miss the rest of the season after sustaining the injury during his team's 23-16 loss to Wests Tigers on Saturday night.

However Thurston says he has a torn muscle in his back and there is no structural damage to his shoulder.

He is hopeful of being fit to play in next month's Test against New Zealand.

"They said that the shoulder is in tact, there's no structural damage to the shoulder, I've torn a muscle in my back that goes to the shoulder so very happy. Good news," Thurston said.

Cowboys general manager Dean Lance added: "There's no structural damage, and the reconstruction to Johnathan's shoulder is all still intact.

"He'll be in full-time physio with Billy Johnstone and once he's moving without pain, he'll go back to training with the main squad."

Source

Status
Not open for further replies.