Thurston backs Tonga recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moronic Musings

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Johnathan Thurston backs Willie Tonga recall into Origin II squad
By Brent Read

June 13, 2009 Willie Tonga hardly needed someone to press his claims for a State of Origin recall, but North Queensland Cowboys and Maroons halfback Johnathan Thurston did, lauding his clubmate's form this year.

Tonga is at short odds to come into the Maroons side for the injured Justin Hodges (knee) when Queensland selectors name their side for Origin II on Tuesday.

While the Maroons are expected to make only one change, and that will be forced, New South Wales is staring at wholesale alterations as it attempts to reverse its loss in the opening game last week.

Tonga has been in outstanding form for the Cowboys this season and looks certain to edge out Wendell Sailor for the vacant spot in the Queensland backline.

Thurston certainly believes his teammate deserves a chance, ending a five-year wait for an Origin recall. Tonga played his only two games for Queensland in 2004 but has revived his career since moving to Townsville this season.

"If you look at the centres that we've played against and that he has marked, they've all been kept very quiet," Thurston said.

"He's a great defensive centre and his attack is up there as well."

While Sailor is also in contention, he has advised selectors Tonga would be a better option. The pair face each other on Sunday when St George Illawarra play the Cowboys at WIN Stadium in a match that could determine which way the selectors lean.

After speculation they would stand by their side for the Origin series, Blues selectors are staring down the barrel at mass changes due to form and injuries.

Five-eighth Terry Campese, who was quiet in Origin I, appears certain to lose his place to Newcastle Knights half Jarrod Mullen.

Prop Luke Bailey (shoulder), utility Luke Lewis (broken toe) and winger James McManus (achilles) will not be available, while several are under clouds including centres Jamie Lyon (leg) and Michael Jennings (calf).

Cronulla captain Paul Gallen (shoulder) was tipped to win an instant recall but he is in doubt for their game against Canberra, which could sound the death knell to his chance of reclaiming his place in the Blues backrow.

Melbourne Storm prop Brett White is a leading contender to replace Bailey, while Manly's Glenn Stewart, who missed Origin I through suspension, will come back into the squad.

afghan4life

Beastwood
Reaction score
wendells way betta
but they will probs pick him because of thurston

Moronic Musings

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
wendells way betta
LOL !
Tonga is 10x better. He has been killing it this year outside thurston and they already have a good combination. Tbh, it's outta Ash Graham and Tonga, not Wendell.

UnderCoverBrother

Kennel Established
Reaction score
wendells way betta

Why because Willie Tonga left the bulldogs?...although had he been playing still for the dogs i bet you would be boasting about how tonga is better then sailor, how can you compare sailor with tonga anyway? Winger / Center, I think now, Tonga would make a better winger then sailor would make as a center.

IF the series was won i think sailor would be choosen to lure more fans and media HYPE.

LOL !
Tonga is 10x better. He has been killing it this year outside thurston and they already have a good combination. Tbh, it's outta Ash Graham and Tonga, not Wendell.
I agree, his getting better each game.

Moronic Musings

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why because Willie Tonga left the bulldogs?...although had he been playing still for the dogs i bet you would be boasting about how tonga is better then sailor, how can you compare sailor with tonga anyway? Winger / Center, I think now, Tonga would make a better winger then sailor would make as a center.

IF the series was won i think sailor would be choosen to lure more fans and media HYPE.

I agree, his getting better each game.
Tonga has rediscovered his best form this year and is getting better after every match.

Status
Not open for further replies.