Opinion Thompson is a fraud

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He's listed at 102kg which is the size of a lot of modern day centres and wingers in the NRL, I can't think of many props that size. Go watch abit of ESL and you'll see it's a different game, quicker but a lot less physical which is tailor made for a smaller mobile prop/middle forward like Thompson. Physique is one of the more important factors that make up a player hence why they spend so much time in the gym and Thompson definitely has a less developed lower body than upper body which probably has an affect on things like post contact metres and leg drive.
How did Bateman do in England? Came over to the NRL and played a few games at lock and looked good, then moved to the edge and dominated.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Jimmy G didn't set the world on fire when he first got here, spent most of his first season coming off the bench, and he was playing in a far better dogs team. Oh, and no pandemic at the time either.

I'm not seeing individual issues in defense for Thommo, thought he made a couple of good reads and some solid tackles yesterday, and only 1 missed tackle, which is 1 less than Ogden who made far less tackles. Thommo was also frequently one of the blokes most likely to lead the line speed. The trouble with our defense is at a team level. Get that sorted and everyone's defense should start looking better, including Ogden and Thommo.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He currently looks to be a good solid $400,000 player.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah, after having a full pre-season with his new team first...
Is he not going to look like a small toddler running into a wall after a preseason? My expectations were low because of circumstances yet he has managed to somehow fail to even reach those. I still stand by my belief that we needed an AFB, Paulo type prop and instead spent big money on a fraud.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Is he not going to look like a small toddler running into a wall after a preseason? My expectations were low because of circumstances yet he has managed to somehow fail to even reach those. I still stand by my belief that we needed an AFB, Paulo type prop and instead spent big money on a fraud.
Apparently we have two of those types of props, they just aren't getting selected...

Certainly Thommo's runs have been mostly underwhelming, and he has been particularly poor the last two weeks, but so has the team. Against Parra he had an ok game with the ball. We haven't really seen a lot of his footwork, and we've not seen his speed. Give him an off-season with Barrett and whoever the new coaching crew is and let's see if they can find ways to take advantage of what he DOES bring to the table.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
At the moment it looks like we've gone and bought another Jackson/Elliot type player. Needs time to adapt and adjust to the NRL.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Played with aggression the first 2 games, however has faded off into the shadows since. Has not shown anything to suggest he is worth the massive salary or overwhelming excitement surrounding his signing. Definitely towards the bottom end of our forwards if i had to rank them. Hopefully he improves and i eat my words. Nothing would give me more happiness than me eating my words and him delivering the goods. But at this stage he is no Morely, Burgess or Graham.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe...but I'm dramatic and I love going off early haha.

I'm just massively concerned, my worries about him before he came over have proven to be true and it's a massive downer. We needed a proper play 1 prop and this guy isn't even close to it and now we're stuck with a forward pack of Thompson, Napa, Jackson and Elliott...there's just no balance. We've spent big money and once again look to need to spend big money to get our selves a proper prop.
yeah its frustrating to watch,Napa has been a passenger since he signed and jj has been ordinary this year, loving RFM and Ogden ATM both have improved out of sight with more minutes, who would have thought? :tongueclosed:

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hasn't had any impact. Can you imagine the instruction he would be getting though. "Make your tackles" , "tuck the ball under the arm". This season is fuckin stupid in terms of coaching and developing as a team. Under12's shit. "Have some fun boys"

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way too harsh, lets revisit it after he has a full NRL pre season...I remember the same things were said about Adrian Morley for the Roosters after his first dozen games...

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah its frustrating to watch,Napa has been a passenger since he signed and jj has been ordinary this year, loving RFM and Ogden ATM both have improved out of sight with more minutes, who would have thought? :tongueclosed:
The guys we are paying with fraudulent cheques are the ones that are giving their hearts every week.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’ll be right. Give him a proper off season and he’ll flourish. It’s a bonus we’ve got him for the last two months this season. He can get use to the speed of the game.

People need to remember. We all know he hadn’t played in 3 months when he came here and all that. But another thing, the NRL was already a lot faster then the super league. Then the rules changed post break and it’s even faster. It’ll take time but relax, he’ll hit the ground running next season.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The whole NRLol season is a Fraud.
Old mate Vlandys harps on about the fabric of the game and brings in this 6 again crap. Awful year. I won't judge anyone until 2021 with all things closer to even.

RichoDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
During Covid he has joined a team on the bottom of the ladder, in a new country with a care tacker coach and no clear on field leadership from a plodding captain. I would let him have a pre season with a coach that will be out to impress and judge him them. But I do agree he has been underwhelming.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no doubt he will be better next year and onwards.
Although it does look like Tolman has taken him under his wing and said “follow me son, I’m the leader of the forwards. Run decoys for my runs and don’t fucking get in my way on the 4th tackle!”