Opinion This Interview Has Never Been More Relevant

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

I hope this is the kind of thing Gus & Ciraldo are getting back to basics, knowing what it means to put on that Bulldogs jersey.

Also the overloading of detail from previous coaches, look how as soon as Potter came in he tore up the script and told them to play footy.

I'd like to hear from Reynolds about how they are re-establishing the culture that was lost for many years under poor leadership.

Last edited:

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Reynolds was spotted at roselands shopping Centre with klemmee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hope this is the kind of thing Gus & Ciraldo are getting back to basics, knowing what it means to put on that Bulldogs jersey.

Also the overloading of detail from previous coaches, look how as soon as Potter came in he tore up the script and told them to play footy.

I'd like to hear from Reynolds about how they are re-establishing the culture that was lost for many years under poor leadership.
Story goes that Sandercock was responsible for getting the Barrett script torn up …

Apparently after quite a few losses he approached Barrett with a more simplified attacking style of play but Barrett didn’t want to know about it ..

When potter came on board Sandercock approached him with the same plan & Potter said ok let’s give it a go …

The rest is history …

Last edited:

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Newsflash Des Hasler was bad for the Dogs, whowouldathunkit....
We're fine now Gus is here and hopefully Ciraldo is 1.all in for the Bulldogs way which I think he will be but 2.proves good enough to gel our emerging team and lead us back to the top.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Newsflash Des Hasler was bad for the Dogs, whowouldathunkit....
We're fine now Gus is here and hopefully Ciraldo is 1.all in for the Bulldogs way which I think he will be but 2.proves good enough to gel our emerging team and lead us back to the top.
If Des stuck to just coaching things would've ended a hell of a lot better.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You'll never win games if your only looking at the stats column instead of the scoreboard.
Exactly right.
I think too many coaches are too focused on stats.
I think stats are important to a point.
But less important when you at the bottom of the table.

Stats are great when you at the top and the team is killing it week in week out.
Then stats come into play to refine a few details and areas to improve an already great team.

I think coaches these days have lost that ability to coach a team to simply play football.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was mostly one of the biggest boofheads in the game droning about stats there. So I don't actually think Haslets focus on stats was his biggest problem.

In truth Hasler was a one trick pony. He focused on defence really extensively. And he encouraged low risk football once decoys were ruled out. We could generally keep our opposition within range to win under Hasler, but we didn't have the attack to get over them.

As long as you are facing a team that can't match your defence but do more with the ball it might work. All of Haslers successes have relied heavily on a handful of players with individual brilliance. Hold the ball in good field position until someone can do something freakish to get through the defence only works when you have those freakish players. And he didn't have those towards the end of his tenure.

As for Ciraldo, he's still an unknown quantity. I hope he's got that mysterious quality that makes a good coach. But only time will tell.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was mostly one of the biggest boofheads in the game droning about stats there. So I don't actually think Haslets focus on stats was his biggest problem.

In truth Hasler was a one trick pony. He focused on defence really extensively. And he encouraged low risk football once decoys were ruled out. We could generally keep our opposition within range to win under Hasler, but we didn't have the attack to get over them.

As long as you are facing a team that can't match your defence but do more with the ball it might work. All of Haslers successes have relied heavily on a handful of players with individual brilliance. Hold the ball in good field position until someone can do something freakish to get through the defence only works when you have those freakish players. And he didn't have those towards the end of his tenure.

As for Ciraldo, he's still an unknown quantity. I hope he's got that mysterious quality that makes a good coach. But only time will tell.
I agree with a lot of what you say there, but I heard that stats were being drilled into the players heads on a daily basis …

Hasler was also blessed to have 3 extremely talented fullbacks during his coaching career which he based 90% of his attacking structures on … Stewart, Barba and TTurbo … 3 of the best …. when his number 1 fullback wasn’t available or the opposition knew how to shut them down he had no plan B ….. without those fullbacks he wouldn’t have had anywhere near the success he had …

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Story goes that Sandercock was responsible for getting the Barrett script torn up …

Apparently after quite a few losses he approached Barrett with a more simplified attacking style of play but Barrett didn’t want to know about it ..

When potter came on board Sandercock approached him with the same plan & Potter said ok let’s give it a go …

The rest is history …
Who ever it was, deserves massive credit. Potter was really honest in his press conferences as well, he talked about it openly, simplifying things and letting them play what's in front of them.

The other moment when I knew we were overloaded with detail was the round Gus came in to coach vs the Roosters. He took over the session and ran 80s style training drills. We end up beating them that round.

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
CC is a stud and he is going to bring us glory

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who ever it was, deserves massive credit. Potter was really honest in his press conferences as well, he talked about it openly, simplifying things and letting them play what's in front of them.

The other moment when I knew we were overloaded with detail was the round Gus came in to coach vs the Roosters. He took over the session and ran 80s style training drills. We end up beating them that round.
That was a huge win against the Roosters that night, ref’s did everything they could to screw us over ….

If I remember correctly Roosters first try came of a blatant knock on, next 2 came from blatant forward passes, that even Grahame Hughes said he spotted up in the bleaches … plus they were going to award another off a forward pass in the dying minutes which would have given them the win until they spotted that boot a millimetre on the touch line …

That was a brave win from the boys considering the circumstances ..

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Potter was a gun FB in his day and knew when and where to attack and defend. He may be the only player in history to win the Dally M with 2 different clubs.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I love these guys, I took my kids to penrith to watch us play, they were both were returning from injury from memory, the Dogs got beaten, it was raining and cold,they both stuck around to sign stuff for the kids for about half an hour after full time. Legends