Things that that stand out after 2 rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogfan1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have watched every game so far and a few things that stand out.

First with the Storm. Defensively, this team is absolutely SPRINTING out of the line in defense. Doesnt matter where it is on the field, but as soon as the team catches the ball, more often than not, the storm are in there faces. This was evident against us especially in the first half. They also did this against the Warriors.

With us (Dogs) i have noticed teams are sprinting up on our halves when we are in the opposition 20. I have seen this strategy also rattle the very best like Thurston. But champion halves adjust. We dont adjust. A small kick behind the line would put teams in 2 times. I dont know why they dont think outside the square.

Also, the halves are still not taking the ball to the line, and ball playing. They either pass well before the line and ask there outside men to make something from nothing or they just run to the line like a hit up.

I dont normally say this about 1st graders, but it seems they have fear, fear for there body. Ball playing at the line requires bravery. Mbye and Reynolds dont have that.

This brngs me to the Eels. There offense in particular Norman looks soooooo smooth. He is everything our halves are not. He takes the ball right to the line and either ball plays or puts a deft kick. You see the thing is, when he takes the ball to the line he has runners in motion around him. It makes such a massive difference.

If ONLY Mbye and Reynolds would do this..

Sea Eagles....These guys have absolutely no resolve. As soon as they something goes agaisnt them, oh boy they have cant respond. Although, those Turbo brothers ,in particular Tom are going to be something very very special...

This is what stands out so far after 2 rounds general. Everything else pretty much is standard.

Anyone else want to contribute what stands out for them?

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What stands out to me is seeing the cowboys and bronco's running hard for nearly 90 min and playing great footy, showing skill and heart to do everything possible to get a win, then thinking geez our team is absolute shit and we don't have a chance in hell of winning a gf until the majority of the players are given the boot and Hasler has been thrown out on his arse never to return.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
What stands out to me is seeing the cowboys and bronco's running hard for nearly 90 min and playing great footy, showing skill and heart to do everything possible to get a win, then thinking geez our team is absolute shit and we don't have a chance in hell of winning a gf until the majority of the players are given the boot and Hasler has been thrown out on his arse never to return.
You get a like.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We play around teams and not through them, how hard is that for people to understand? We are stuck like this until Des fucks off.

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were still the same.

Except, jus have those forwards that were at 1st receiver now on each edge 1 or 2 out from 1st receiver.

We've got no 2nd phase what so ever apart from kas comin on and runnin amok.

Our general kickplay is a deadset joke/doesn't force any pressure at all.

Our line speed is really slow, which allows opposition teams to stroll past the advantage line without any problems.

Our goal kicking.... well yeh..

No set plays. Still..

Only thing is the boys look like they're havin a little bit of a dig, jus no mongrel.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Pretty good report mate. For me the Storm have an unnatural leg up so to speak over any team in the comp bar maybe the cowboys. Watching Storm games I believe they are given a 1 - 2 metre early buffer from leaving the defensive line, this attributes to their line speed. It has been well talked about this week how much Thurston get's away with over the refs, Smith get's this in spades also. Actually the Storm have been refereed differently ever since they have joined the comp. I don't know how intentional this is from the hierarchy but it has always been obvious. As for our halves, they are a different league to the top line guys in the comp and it won't change.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The Bad.

1. The hot potato shuffle to the edge has resulted in forward passes and knock ons on more occasions than points.
2. When we play deep we look like we're passing a cement bag and and the defence rushes up and smashes us.
3. We haven't run on the last once.
4. Shitlist: Tolman, Eastwood, Halves, Kasiano last week.
5. Brenko is good in attack but dumber than a bag of hammers in defence.
6. It's taken Kasiano 2 rounds to become a fat **** again.

Can't think of many positives. Maybe the fact we didn't get blown away by the Roosters?

I can see Des jumping ship if he gets even a sniff of the club sacking him.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Policing forward passes this year is a joke.

Dogs are the most flat footed team in the comp.

I'm convinced Hayne dogged it.

Lee is a centre not a wing. Ever.

Mbye must be moved or moved out. He has no confidence.

Eastwood must be dropped to park footy. 8 hit ups in 2 games is unacceptable.

Jmoz and Bmoz on the same side means Bmoz doesn't get the ball

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Will continue to say it, we need a hooker who can kick to take pressure off our halves.

A fullback who can also ball play and put an attacking kick in (I've seen Abbey do both of these things) would be a big help!

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

First with the Storm. Defensively, this team is absolutely SPRINTING out of the line in defense. Doesnt matter where it is on the field, but as soon as the team catches the ball, more often than not, the storm are in there faces. This was evident against us especially in the first half. They also did this against the Warriors.

With us (Dogs) i have noticed teams are sprinting up on our halves when we are in the opposition 20. I have seen this strategy also rattle the very best like Thurston. But champion halves adjust. We dont adjust. A small kick behind the line would put teams in 2 times. I dont know why they dont think outside the square.

Also, the halves are still not taking the ball to the line, and ball playing. They either pass well before the line and ask there outside men to make something from nothing or they just run to the line like a hit up.

I dont normally say this about 1st graders, but it seems they have fear, fear for there body. Ball playing at the line requires bravery. Mbye and Reynolds dont have that.

This brngs me to the Eels. There offense in particular Norman looks soooooo smooth. He is everything our halves are not. He takes the ball right to the line and either ball plays or puts a deft kick. You see the thing is, when he takes the ball to the line he has runners in motion around him. It makes such a massive difference.

Sea Eagles....These guys have absolutely no resolve. As soon as they something goes agaisnt them, oh boy they have cant respond. Although, those Turbo brothers ,in particular Tom are going to be something very very special...

This is what stands out so far after 2 rounds general. Everything else pretty much is standard.

Lichaa gives the defence an eternity to get in our face first he picks the ball up and then he lobs a pass. Even a team full of players as fat as ours would have no problem rushing up on us

Last edited:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Bad.

1. The hot potato shuffle to the edge has resulted in forward passes and knock ons on more occasions than points.
2. When we play deep we look like we're passing a cement bag and and the defence rushes up and smashes us.
3. We haven't run on the last once.
4. Shitlist: Tolman, Eastwood, Halves, Kasiano last week.
5. Brenko is good in attack but dumber than a bag of hammers in defence.
6. It's taken Kasiano 2 rounds to become a fat **** again.

Can't think of many positives. Maybe the fact we didn't get blown away by the Roosters?

I can see Des jumping ship if he gets even a sniff of the club sacking him.
Lol at point 6

Every season like clockwork

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Us
1. We are still too structured. Kas and RFM are like the kids at the back of the class that don't listen as they only ones offloading.
2. 4 big boys on the bench doesn't work case in point last game. Need to carry a utility
3. Mbye has zero confidence. The kid needs to run himself back into form and forget the x and o for one game.
4. Brenko on attack is a game breaker but if Gasnier about him but without the ball he is fkn terrible
5. Technically Lichaa is running out of dh but he then throws it back 10m to an unsuspecting teammate ie hospital pass
6. I can't fault our effort in both games.
7. We will win more than 5 games this year despite what Chicken Little believes.

Them
1 Warriors need Foran to straighten attack although their front rowers are young and getting outmuscled
2. Storm defence relentless aided by the fact refs let them get away with murder in the ruck
3. Taumalolo is a fkn beast
4. Thurston is the GOAT (how the fk we let him go is one of life's mysteries)
5. Eels look very good
6. 1m a year to Hunt yet he doesn't want to know about FG in GP. Sucked in Dragons
7. The injury list with so many big names

Refs
1. Still shit

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
We need to still work on defense, Mariner had a good game but still missed a crucial tackle.
In both games we needed one more try, its a winning habit thing,

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A small kick behind the line would put teams in 2 times. I dont know why they dont think outside the square
If one of our halves kicked the ball at a time that wasn't pre-designated by des, he'd have a stroke.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our line speed in Defence is way to slow. They need to push the offside limit with referees much more.
Our attack needs straighten up before going wide.
Too many one out hit ups. Forwards need to attack in numbers with support. Minimising gang tackles, allowing for quicker play the balls.
All attack needs more depth and the halves need to play two hands at the line.
Kicking game. Need a 9 and possibly a 1 that can kick. Our current 6 & 7 are poor at best.
Goal kicker is so important. We don't have one!
We need a Utility on the bench. The game has gone past four forwards on the bench.
I could keep going but the people in charge don't seem to think there is a problem.
I think we have a few lean years ahead.

Number13

Management
Reaction score

Your synopsis is spot on. Our third round match against the Warriors, without Hopoate, will test our depth and how we adapt to a pressure environment. If I am correct, we lost 6 games in a row if you take into account last year's effort at the end of the season.

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your synopsis is spot on. Our third round match against the Warriors, without Hopoate, will test our depth and how we adapt to a pressure environment. If I am correct, we lost 6 games in a row if you take into account last year's effort at the end of the season.
Maybe blessing in disguise, tryout one of the young guys at fb. Besides we got nothing to loose.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That josh Morris is the worst centre in the comp. can't remember the last time he beat his opposing number one on one or ran a proper line.

Eastwood isn't an edge second rower

We need a goal kicker

Status
Not open for further replies.