Things are becoming clearer

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Wakeham is a reserve grade player who is on a pittance for a halfback. It's not his fault he is getting picked in 1st grade.
It's the fault of the coach & football department that we don't have a 1st grade quality halfback at the club.
Yes halfback is a massive problem, but the teams skill level is terrible, the back line passing is pathetic. That is a basic skill in rugby league, also why do our edge forward in particular Waddell constantly run the ball without passing when they have time and space to pass the ball to the centres and/or winger when have a chance to run the ball but NOOOO the edge forwards run the ball into the defence??? Seriously it's like they are padding their running meter stats.
Speaks volumes of how shit our roster is. One of the most skilful backrowers in the comp Bryce Cartwright is struggling to even get a bench spot at Parra.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whilst it’s clear we don’t have a first grade standard 7 to choose.

We could have Cleary or DCE dropped into our lineup and it wouldn’t make much difference.

What they do on the training field totally baffles me. It’s like they don’t practice attacking in the opposing teams 20m.

They run at least four forward settlers each set. Which are not a threat and not followed by a quick play the ball.

Then when the play makers get a shot everyone is basically flat and walking. There is no fluidity. No players in motion. No speed in anything we do. It’s like watching the local under 12s. Catch, pass and hope.

We have players that offload this year. Why don’t the little quick men anticipate this and be there.

The coaching and general player awareness or lack there of is the major issue. Way up and above our lack of a 7
Most of our forwards do fuck all, how many times a game do our forwards break through the defence? The answer is fuck all, also defence wins you games this team should be told by Barrett either you put in 100% or you'll be seeing out your contract in reserves, last week proved nothing has changed, new players same shit.
You don't need to be a star player to tackle or on massive $, these players all need to be put on notice considering this shit has been going on for years, and to say their trying is bullshit getting flogged 44 to 0 is not trying, so what it was the storm we couldn't get a win against a shit Broncos team, it seems as though there's always an excuse for losing when it comes to our team nowadays.

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Most of our forwards do fuck all, how many times a game do our forwards break through the defence? The answer is fuck all, also defence wins you games this team should be told by Barrett either you put in 100% or you'll be seeing out your contract in reserves, last week proved nothing has changed, new players same shit.
You don't need to be a star player to tackle or on massive $, these players all need to be put on notice considering this shit has been going on for years, and to say their trying is bullshit getting flogged 44 to 0 is not trying, so what it was the storm we couldn't get a win against a shit Broncos team, it seems as though there's always an excuse for losing when it comes to our team nowadays.
Defence wins you games is such a big myth. We would’ve beaten Manly if that’s the case. We held them out set after set after set. Averaging 10-12 points a game won’t win you many games.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Speaks volumes of how shit our roster is. One of the most skilful backrowers in the comp Bryce Cartwright is struggling to even get a bench spot at Parra.
Plays no defense thats why he struggles to find a spot.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Last Sunday before the game I posted just one word, D.E.F.E.N.C.E.

Our focus particularily against Melbourne and indeed our game plan should have been defence is the only thing that matters. Then if we are lucky our talented players like Dufty, JAC, Burton, Naden, TPJ etc bring some x factor for some points. Hyped up play for each other desperate defence which we relied upon in the first few rounds couldnt be maintained, and we got flogged.

Perhaps Gus will give them one of his famous S.O.O speechs before the game to fire them up and we might hold them for a while, but the test will be if we can maintain it for 80 against someone like Penrith, I just cant see it. Maybe the answer is to firstly sack the assistants and bring in someone specialized for defence and also someone like Ennis to assist Barrett for the remainder of 22. This could all be under Goulds guidence while we work our what to do with the head coach role.

We cant possibly afford to have the likes of Burton losing interest in our future goals or the club so a total losing year is simply not an option in my view. Letting another coach go especially with a year plus to run is not a good look, but its an even worse look to go back to back spoons which is a possibilty if things stay as is.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Defence wins you games is such a big myth. We would’ve beaten Manly if that’s the case. We held them out set after set after set. Averaging 10-12 points a game won’t win you many games.
No it doesnt win you games, but it keeps you in with the chance to score yourself an if your defence is good enough you wont need to score as many, which at the moment with our clunky attack it is our best chance of being competitive while our attack finds its combinations and rythem.

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No it doesnt win you games, but it keeps you in with the chance to score yourself an if your defence is good enough you wont need to score as many, which at the moment with our clunky attack it is our best chance of being competitive while our attack finds its combinations and rythem.
The good teams will often score a minimum of 20 points against the best of defences. We struggle to score 10 let alone 20 regardless of who we’re playing.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The good teams will often score a minimum of 20 points against the best of defences. We struggle to score 10 let alone 20 regardless of who we’re playing.
I get your logic, but we are not yet one of the good teams you reference. If we had scored 14 points we beat Manly and if we had defended just 1 try from Brisbane and kicked 1 more goal or conversersion we beat Brisbane. If we had scored 20 or even 30 against Melbourne we still lose by plenty becuase we let 44 points in...

Defence first.

Sue

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He wasn't even given 20 minutes at 7 in the 2 trials to see how he would go. He's the only geniune 7 at the club (doesnt necessarily mean he's a gun player, but still) and he's been completely shut out for a bloke whos a centre and another bloke whos an average 6. makes no sense to me at all. and if we chop and change yet again, how are we supposed to build any sort of continuity? 2022 is a write off already
2022 was already a write off in 2021

If Baz stays on for next year 2023 is a write off in 2022

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You maybe right about the Manly game but your not going to score 46 point's to defeat any team whether it's a storm team or any other team, the way our team is atm any opposition scoring 16+ point's will more than likely win.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This.
I have been saying it for ages.
Our biggest problem has never been defence. Even in our bad years, we defend ok.
It's our attack. Always has been our problem and has been the biggest problem since Barba left, and the JR.

We need to get to a level where we can routinely score 5 tries a game, not 2. Do that, and we win 70% of games

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No i disagree.
If we score 1 or 2 tries against Melb i doubt they get anywhere near 44.
They would have played a less expansive game.
We still lose, but I reckon we lose a closer game and don't get embarrassed with at least some positives to take away.

As it played out, I cant see any positives out of that game. Not one.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Every time Baz has coached it’s been excuse after excuse… last year it was the cattle and they were young. This year he has the cattle but it’s the 7 and 9…. You had all off-season to sign a 7 or 9 that’s better then what we currently have. But no you didn’t. (Baz) the guy is just not built to be a grade coach he should do everyone a favour and quit before shit gets worse. Everyone I know who said give him a chance have finally seen what I have been since last year
We signed a 9 in the off season Mahony. And a pretty damn good signing it is, arguably the 2nd best dummy half at the moment.

Always a Bulldog

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He seems to look like he has a plan. Clearly he doesn’t otherwise the game plan would vary when it doesn’t work.
I suspect he has a good plan but simply can't get it across to the players. The old 'incredibly smart teacher who can't teach'.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Support play is shocking. It's literally one out with a useless offload that leads to nothing
Melbourne has half the team supporting a line break and if one of our blokes find space, it’s a case of “do your best mate”.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Melbourne has half the team supporting a line break and if one of our blokes find space, it’s a case of “do your best mate”.
It's like the players are in total shock when we make a line break so there never in support in time, then usually jmk will go from dummy half after a line break and kill the next play. Same shit every week

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We are better off working hard on getting fast play the balls rather then offloads. It's such a simple thing but been effective for 100 + years
This is bang on… the most simple game plan… but we still manage to struggle with it.

I thought we did this well in one game this year via our speed men and surprise… we won the game.