There Goes Steve Michaels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deception_2112

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL, Micheals>wintana any day tbh idc how much game time they've had. Who is the deadwood you want shedded?
Emelio for one...

Possibly Phelps..

Brad Morrin, Chris Armit (Has done nothing in 08 so far and in 07).

Would've said Hughes, but he's been going great so far..

Micheals is a speedy centre, but Winitana is the classic, strong, linebreaker type centre..

I rate the latter a lot more, Winitana is built in the mould of Hodges ( Although he is far better), Micheals is small and a fair bit weaker..

Micheals has proven more, but i don't rate him any better than Winitana in terms of potential, and i don't think he'll suit us either.

pha_t0ny

respect my authorotahhh!
Reaction score
maaaan if u saw that tackle uuurghh, it was sickening tbh the way his knee bent, wouldnt wish that on anyone

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stick with Michaels. I really rate this guy. If a deal has not already been done, we have a bit of leverage now with his injury.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Morris is and will be better IMO. Both have strong defence and are strong runners but Morris has more footwork and skill.

What's this obsession with signing people for the sake of it anyway? Now Michaels is injured, let's sign Boyd! Yeah, that'd be great because we love being able to say, we signed someone. Bloody oath mate, it doesn't matter at all that we have better players than Boyd coming through, just as long as we sign other players.

Who do we have that is better than Boyd at the moment ie. able to step into FG team and have immediate impact, has good speed and versatile enough to play a number of positions?
Many of the juniors who are hyped to the max on this forum, haven't tasted FG yet and are honestly a few years away.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dean Young is a prime example as too how bad Knee Recons can be

tempo

Pritteee Good
Reaction score
Don't really rate Micheals over Winitana as of yet...

Sure he has done more, but he's also had more gametime..

IMO i'm happy with the signing of Morris, and if we just left it there, we have juniors to focus on, a good prop and offloading of some deadwood would make our team fine.
There's another one. Winitana has really impressed me with how comfortable he looks after only a few games in the top grade and he has shown nous too. Something not very common. Michaels only has pace and strength oin his side and how much will that be affected by his injury? IMO Wini has that extra something that will see him go far.

I'm comfortable with not buying anymore backs, except for a top quality, established half back. I don't think one is off contract though. Finch is but Parra can afford him now.

tempo

Pritteee Good
Reaction score
Who do we have that is better than Boyd at the moment ie. able to step into FG team and have immediate impact, has good speed and versatile enough to play a number of positions?
Many of the juniors who are hyped to the max on this forum, haven't tasted FG yet and are honestly a few years away.
Impact? Boyd doesn't have impact. He's just a good finisher. Can he hit it up effectively? Remember we don't need a fullback. He's nowhere near as good as Patten anyway. If anything, we are a bit thin with top quality wingers but I'd rather keep what we have than sign Boyd. Millard can play wing and is better than him. Niusere or Pure could make the jump. I have huge raps on Niusere!

Boyd played 20 odd games before he did anything remotely outstanding. Broncos fans have criticised him to no end for running sideways. Winitana and Nanai have less than 10 games in FG and have both been quite good. More so Wini but the point is, a player that takes that long to show something can't be very good. He reminds me of Cutler tbh.

We bought Morris as a centre but he'll surely see wing too at some stage. Utai and El Masri are still good value too.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Versatility in any player is not a bad thing, I'm not suggesting replacing Patten, but we are in trouble if he gets injured, c'mon Haz at Fullback...please.
Millard doesn't have the speed to play wing.

Put the kids you suggest in FG and see how they stack up. They may be a season or 2 off seeing FG.

Wini & Heka have potential/ Remember Tonga is going, and the rest of our backline has been the most pedestrian in the comp for the past few years.
Some genuine speed, and genuine competition for positions would serve us well.
Emelio&Phelps are our back ups, both soilid but average players. They put zero pressure on the first graders for their positions. Then there are always injuries, and you need depth.

Utai & Haz offer value I agree, but both have their best days behind them.

Can't see any harm getting some more speed & quality.

It get's boring making the number of line breaks we do, and be so impotent we can't finish them off.
Hell, SBW has to SLOW down and wait for support when he busts the line. I'm sure he'll be thrilled that Morris will be able to finish off the breaks he makes unlike Tonga, El Masri et al.

Mustang

lol
Reaction score
darius boyd's style of play reminds me of cameron phelps for some reason

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Much quicker than Phelps..but what a name for a footy player DARIUS!

tempo

Pritteee Good
Reaction score
Versatility in any player is not a bad thing, I'm not suggesting replacing Patten, but we are in trouble if he gets injured, c'mon Haz at Fullback...please.
Millard doesn't have the speed to play wing.

Put the kids you suggest in FG and see how they stack up. They may be a season or 2 off seeing FG.

Wini & Heka have potential/ Remember Tonga is going, and the rest of our backline has been the most pedestrian in the comp for the past few years.
Some genuine speed, and genuine competition for positions would serve us well.
Emelio&Phelps are our back ups, both soilid but average players. They put zero pressure on the first graders for their positions. Then there are always injuries, and you need depth.

Utai & Haz offer value I agree, but both have their best days behind them.

Can't see any harm getting some more speed & quality.

It get's boring making the number of line breaks we do, and be so impotent we can't finish them off.
Hell, SBW has to SLOW down and wait for support when he busts the line. I'm sure he'll be thrilled that Morris will be able to finish off the breaks he makes unlike Tonga, El Masri et al.
Yeah I hear ya but Crisp certainly should get his chance if that happens and now we've signed Morris, he is another option. Have you seen the undedr 20s? Fawcett is already looking like a future first grader. if he keeps going the way he is, he'll be ready by next year.

I just don't rate Boyd at all really. He's the sort of player you'd only play if you had to.

Millard isn't a speedster but we've gotten by with plenty of slow wingers in the past. He'd be a last resort though. I reckon Niusere will be ready by next year too if he plays out the season in Toyota Cup.

I agree we need more blistering speed but is Boyd in the top 10 quickest? Even if he were, to me he doesn't add enough threat to the back line. He's like the whippet. could finish a break but not much good in general play. Purtell from the Raiders might be a better option. He's very fast and big. The Storm are supposedly interested in him.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree we need more blistering speed but is Boyd in the top 10 quickest? Even if he were, to me he doesn't add enough threat to the back line. He's like the whippet. could finish a break but not much good in general play. Purtell from the Raiders might be a better option. He's very fast and big. The Storm are supposedly interested in him.

The Raiders have plenty of speed, I was impressed with them on Monday night and perhaps there is better value for us to poach from there...Sydney would be much more appealing than Canberra, although they did say the Storm flew Purtell to Melb for discussions, so we are probably already too late.

Please no more slow wingers...it is agonising to watch...not to mention demoralising to the team when a break that should be a try, ends in nuffin...then momentum shifts and we end up copping points. All too familiar in recent times.

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

micheals trys but and he has time to get well. he gives 100 percent every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.