News The young gun “with the world at his feet”

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Where's all the negative nancies? Where are all the Gus haters? Where are all the ones that thought CC was out of his depth? Where are all those that wanted Potter instead of CC? Where are all those that still think dogs will finish bottom 4? Where are all those that still think our training methods are too harsh and that our training methods are the cause for our injuries? Where's the Clown crew? Where's 04 dreaming? Where's his cousin Polly? Where's Flanagun? Where are all those that were crying because we let go of Alamoti(no way is he ahead of Critta & Xerri). Where are those that whinge like bitches? They have all evaporated like a fart in the wind as was expected.
They are one and the same (person) under different user names mostly!

Last edited:

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's absolutely great and this rebuild is better than what we were doing in the Hasler era of 2012 - 2016.

One of the key points of our dominance back in the early 2000s was coupled with astute signings we constantly had promising juniors rolling off the production line that became eventual stars. It's great that we have this now.

Huge shame for Skelton at the moment, he has performed admirably in Cup for a while but hard to see who exactly we drop for him as our back 5 is our main strength at the moment.

Sloth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What a headache with team selections. Once Skelton gets his defence right.
Where would you even fit him in the back line if everyone is firing in the first grade squad.

Call me crazy, I’m just throwing out a random theory but maybe he’s not even being developed to a winger despite playing in the backline. Maybe he’s just playing there so he can learn the defensive plays of the game slowly out on the wing rather than getting the baptism of fire right in the middle.

“Mark my word” Skelton as our future AFB/Fisher-Harris type player :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good read about O'Neill and hopefully our future 7. Maybe Helta needs to think about shifting to the back row because our back 5 look pretty set and Wilson hovering. But my fav part of the story was what Knight had to say about defense and what's required to meet the standards being set..

'Knight had a busy game himself on both sides of the ball with a try, a linebreak, five tackle busts, 201 metres and 14 tackles — no misses. The 29-year-old, who has played 83 NRL games, opened up post-game on what he needs to work on to get back into the first grade side.

“Probably just my defensive movements (is what I need to work on),” he said.

“We have a really high demand for our defense and I’ve probably just been a bit off the mark at the moment so I’m trying to get up there and earn the trust of my teammates and my coach and hopefully I can get back into that team.”

I love it.
Liam Knights comments after the game were very impressive

Scoobs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Interesting that O'neill has jumped out of the ground in the last 12-18 months and all the talk has been about woods. Is o'neill a late bloomer (compared to woods) or have they deliberately kept him out of the spotlight?. Either way i reckon he debuts this year and may have already jumped sexy in the pecking order.

chihuahua dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Getting way ahead but which of O'Neil, Woods, Burton and Oloapu is the odd one out (or two). All locked up long term I think

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Woods contract specifies he is top 30 next year. Given how well O'Neill and even Hayward are coming along and that Taaffe and Hutchison are contracted for 2025 it's looking increasingly more likely Sexton is surplus to requirements and won't be resigned. If that's the case we should definitely try and get that rumoured player swap with Canberra for a good prop.

Scoobs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Getting way ahead but which of O'Neil, Woods, Burton and Oloapu is the odd one out (or two). All locked up long term I think
I think if Karl ever returns it will be as a lock, not sure about the other 3 but it's a good problem to have. Think they will have a big decision to make when burto's contract is due for renewal.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Oloapu seems destined for lock at some point which is also where Brisbane saw him. It's a real shame given his injury as he probably would've had a huge chance given CCs desire to have a defensive halfback and Oloapu has immense defense

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Likewise I hope he is given time to keep developing in cup. A FG debut wouldn’t be too far away but we don’t have to rush him.

interesting Skelton ran for over 300m. He might nab a bench spot at some point soon. Hard to break into the FG side the way some of the boys are playing though
Yeah he was great in many regards but also spilt a extremely simple drop out… when/if he resolves those issues he will be an utter weapon!

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
O'Neill is already the best halfback at the club. He is a leader & a big talker on the field. I would put him in the NRL team now.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
O'Neill is really impressive. He's a busy player who knows how to put players into gaps and is a great ball player. He also backs up well and is all over the field. He'll get his chance in FG soon enough.
Also what was interesting was when they were in a huddle after scoring a try, it was O'Neil who was doing all the talking. A great sign that he is a talker on the field and also a leader.

Very excited for his future. Hopefully he bulks up a bit over the next couple of years

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
O Neil is going good. Don't think he is anywhere near as good as Woods. The club have showed their hand by dropping BBO and leaving O Neil in NSw cup. Opening up a spot for Woods in Flegg once Sg ball is over.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah he was great in many regards but also spilt a extremely simple drop out… when/if he resolves those issues he will be an utter weapon!
Yeah he has some concentration lapses. I just thought 300+ metres gained is quite impressive and he regularly runs for over 200+ so there is something there.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where's all the negative nancies? Where are all the Gus haters? Where are all the ones that thought CC was out of his depth? Where are all those that wanted Potter instead of CC? Where are all those that still think dogs will finish bottom 4? Where are all those that still think our training methods are too harsh and that our training methods are the cause for our injuries? Where's the Clown crew? Where's 04 dreaming? Where's his cousin Polly? Where's Flanagun? Where are all those that were crying because we let go of Alamoti(no way is he ahead of Critta & Xerri). Where are those that whinge like bitches? They have all evaporated like a fart in the wind as was expected.
WELL SAID DOG