The World Cup 2018/2022 Bid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But apparently Russia isn't ready for black people yet.

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
What a load of sh!t

There are black people already living in Russia.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Argentine soccer denies report of pay-off
December 5, 2010 - 2:48PM

The president of the Argentine Football Association, Julio Grondona, on Saturday denied the association received a multimillion-dollar payment from Qatar to influence its vote for the 2022 World Cup host.

The denial followed a Wall Street Journal report on Friday that cited an unnamed former member of the Qatar bid team as saying that at least one adviser had recommended that the Qatar Football Association make a $US78.4 million ($80.5 million) dollar payment to help the Argentine association out of a finanacial crisis.

"There has to be an end to playing with my good name. Why on earth would the association have a debt of that size?" Grondona said in remarks carried on the Argentine newswire Telam.

Advertisement: Story continues below "I am not going to give any credence to whatever people may say," said Grondona. "The fact is the AFA has a solid contract with the Argentine government and it is all going quite well."

Grondona spoke from Zurich where the 22-member executive committee of FIFA, the ruling body of the international federation of football associations, on Thursday awarded Russia and Qatar the right to host the World Cup tournaments in 2018 and 2022 respectively.

AFP

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/argentine-soccer-denies-report-of-payoff-20101205-18l4b.html

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You do realise that wherever it is held, at least one set of viewers is going to be forced to wake up to watch the games?

In counter to Australia's timezone being good for South America, you have to remember that having it in Australia would mean detrimenting European viewers. So quit skipping continents to try and favour one point as there is always going to be one timezone that is not favoured by the decision.

I had countered your point favouring Australia because of the Asian market by saying that Qatar is still able to tap that market thus meaning Australia does not have a sole advantage there. I also said it favours Europe.

You now say Qatar doesn't favour South America, but Australia does, but if Australia has it then it does not favour Europe, so it's a one for one thing. And then there's Africa which has a closer timezone to Europe and also closer to Qatar, so they tap that market as well with Qatar as the host.

Ofcourse I realise that, there is no centre of the world. No matter what, someone will miss out.

That is why I'm saying tv ratings wont be affected, since whatever we lose we can pick up elsewhere, either Asia or South America. That is my whole point.

I also mentioned the fact that having it in a middle Eastern country appears to expand the game but still allows it to favour other continents.
Same point applies to Australia. Actually, it applies more so to Australia

This goes back to what I said above. You were the one who raised the point about Asia. I simply countered that by saying Qatar also taps that market. I then further added the fact that Europe is also closer to Qatar is timezone and thus it is a win win as they still tap the market you jizzed over as being so important as well as the European market.

That then means that the Asian market does not give Australia a huge advantage if it is still able to be tapped by the Qatar timezones.

As for the south American market, if held in Qatar it will disadvantage them, yes, but it will also be advantageous to African nations, which counters the South American point you make. Football is also huge in Africa and will be growing as a result of the World Cup being held there in 2010, I'm sure you know.

Again, as I said above, wherever it is held, it is going to disadvantage countries from another timezone.

Qatar wont tap into all of Asia, their late games wont be at a reasonable time to Eastern part of Asia, where we can.

I'm not saying you're making a point about money, but the truth is the reason why tv ratings are important is because it means more commercials, which means more money.

Now if Australia can hold a world cup and still attract a strong audience, then this whole "timezone" argument is useless.

No I'm not. I am giving you reasons as to why the decision may have been made in favour of Qatar. Simple really. I have said Australia is more suitable to hold the World Cup, but that's not to say that certain factors don't favour Qatar's bid as well. And those factors may be held in higher regard by those who make the decision.

I haven't even said corruption is out of the picture. But I am still able to lay out reasons as to why Qatar may have got it legitimately (to some extent). It's really that simple, however, you seem to want to allocate me a standpoint and then argue from there. Poor form.

But these reasons are countered by FIFA's own report about Qatars bid.

As I said before, you're looking for logic from an illogical decision. Looking at the article I posted, it looks like the cracks are starting to appear as to why they won.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's pretty disappointing that myself and Game Breaker can't have a discussion on here without people whining and what not. There's no malice, no personal insults, none of that crap, it's just a debate.

I'm just holding out now for the 'btrain essay' joke or some variation, to be honest.

No surprise to see its the gutless mods doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
That's what one of the Russian sports minsters had to say.
Who cares? One man's point of view won't stop black people from playing in the world cup. He knows it. Everyone knows it.

Did Hitler's viewpoint on black people stop black athletes from participating in the 1936 Berlin Olympics?

Please... :rolleyes:

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who cares? One man's point of view won't stop black people from playing in the world cup. He knows it. Everyone knows it.

Did Hitler's viewpoint on black people stop black athletes from participating in the 1936 Berlin Olympics?

Please... :rolleyes:
FMD you're being a goose. It's obvious that I don't think that Russia isn't ready for black people, hence why I said that it was not myself who said that, but a Russian official and also why I said 'apparently'.

And for your information, there are racial problems in Russia. Like Peter Odemwingie who recently signed for West Brom and the fans of his previous club, Lokomotiv Moscow I believe, had banners saying 'Thankyou West Brom'.

I never said the lack of tolerance in some parts and areas of Russian society would prevent them from being able to host a World Cup adequately. I only mentioned that one of their own had said that their country was not ready for black people yet.

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
FMD you're being a goose. It's obvious that I don't think that Russia isn't ready for black people, hence why I said that it was not myself who said that, but a Russian official and also why I said 'apparently'.

And for your information, there are racial problems in Russia. Like Peter Odemwingie who recently signed for West Brom and the fans of his previous club, Lokomotiv Moscow I believe, had banners saying 'Thankyou West Brom'.

I never said the lack of tolerance in some parts and areas of Russian society would prevent them from being able to host a World Cup adequately. I only mentioned that one of their own had said that their country was not ready for black people yet.
LOL I'm being the goose? Umm you're the one rattling on about 1 sports minister's comment in response to me saying that Russia is capable of hosting a world cup. What a total fail of a point! As if his opinion would have any significance.

I'm well aware of Russia's racism problems. You obviously don't know much about them if Odemwingie is your case in point. There are more neo-nazis in Russia than anywhere else in the world. YouTube "From Russia With Hate" and you'll get a real idea of how bad the racism is over there.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
LOL I'm being the goose? Umm you're the one rattling on about 1 sports minister's comment in response to me saying that Russia is capable of hosting a world cup. What a total fail of a point! As if his opinion would have any significance.

I'm well aware of Russia's racism problems. You obviously don't know much about them if Odemwingie is your case in point. There are more neo-nazis in Russia than anywhere else in the world. YouTube "From Russia With Hate" and you'll get a real idea of how bad the racism is over there.
Rattling on? I mentioned it once, and you took exception to it without even recognizing that I had said it in a certain manner. I never said anything about Russia's ability to host a WC. If you don't agree with what that particular minster said, then advocate your point in his direction, not mine.

And Odemwingie was my point because he is one of the most recent and most relevant to the Premier League (as I doubt many know much about the Russian League). Regardless, you agree with me on that point anyway, so what exactly is your argument here?

Nothing.

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
Rattling on? I mentioned it once, and you took exception to it without even recognizing that I had said it in a certain manner.
Wrong again. I didn't take exception to anything. I was just trying to make sense of your response and what it had to do with my comment. Short answer: nothing.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Australia 2022 bid adviser Peter Hargitay has expressed his dismay and astonishment at missing out on hosting the 2022 World Cup finals to Qatar.

Australia were confident of progressing beyond the first round of voting at the very least after being promised six votes, but crashed out spectacularly after being backed by just one individual.

Much to Hargitay's surprise two people then claimed to have voted for Australia and he believes the circumstances just add to the dishonesty surrounding their failed bid.

The FFA consultant was angered by FIFA delegates shaking hands with chairman Frank Lowy the day before the final decision only to go and cast their votes elsewhere.

Hargitay pulled no punches and cannot understand why committee members voted overwhelmingly to back a nation the size of Qatar which lacks the infrastructure to host the event.

The Swiss-Hungarian even went on to concede that Australia's biggest mistake was to play fair, words that are sure to have long-term ramifications.

"Somebody sent me a very aggressive email calling me a loser. I said 'I didn't lose'. Football lost," he told SBS.

"Before we went into the voting we had six votes that we were assured that we got. We needed at least five to survive the first round. We always knew the first round would be the crucial round.

"Of the six votes we had one left and that one vote was claimed by two people, so you tell me about dishonesty. After the vote we were told by two people they were the only ones who voted for us.

"One of the two was fibbing. The other four or five who shook hands with the chairman and who were entirely and totally credible and reconfirmed their position before they went into the vote vanished."

When asked if Australia were duped, he replied: "Yes, yes, but that sounds like a cheap excuse. It's not an excuse. It's not trying to explain things. It's not 'Oh my God what did we do?' It's not that.

"The chairman knows how to deal with people and how to do business. He's a great leader. He was a fantastic leader on the team. He's the one into whose hands promises were made and confirmed.

"So you're dealing with a special type of person who will shake your hand and look into your eye at five o'clock on the afternoon of the day before voting and say 'I'm with you'.

"What do you think motivates people? Fourteen of them voted for a country with a population the size of Zurich or Fiji where the infrastructure to play host to millions of fans still has to be created. I could go on.

"How can 14 men take that decision? It wasn't a tight vote. It's 14 to eight. It's astounding."

When questioned whether people were bought, he continued: "You'd have to ask those people. I guess you have to ask the bid team. This will probably sound weird. The biggest mistake we made, and there was no other way, is that we played it clean."

col of birchmen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What an ugly bastard.

This isnt a good result, firstly it rewards corruption.

Secondly, it was given to a country that doesnt deserve it. Too small, too hot, never made the WC, not even ranked in top 100. If they were serious about giving it to a Middle Eastern country, then Egypt wouldve been better.

Thirdly, because an Asian country was given the rights, Australia will have to wait something like 20 years before it can think about hosting it. FIFA will give it to other continents before awarding it to Asia again.
Eygpt is in Africa you dope

col of birchmen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
for your information Eygpt is mainly in North Africa and they qualify through Africa so get your facts right before you talk crap

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply 1 month later

North Africa is also part of the Middle East, nobody said Egypt wasnt in Africa.

I look forward toyour random reply in a couple of months time

Status
Not open for further replies.