The weight of expectation - Winning or Losing

Status
Not open for further replies.

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
4 losses in a row... and here i see a lot of bickering, whinging, and geniuses everywhere giving us their theories on how we can improve...

im over doing all of the above... is anyone else in the same boat???

just to make myself clear, im not abandoning this team... but honestly... im OVER feeling disappointed, dejected, and gutted over our losses...

right now i just cbf feeling any emotion right now...

i've realised one thing y'all:
Winning is a habit...
....but so is losing

i think having won so many games between 2002 and 2004 got us used to winning so many times, that losing would just seem abnormal and a total shock...

now the shock is gone... now the feeling and expectation of "winning all the time" is gone...

getting used to losing was tough at first.... but now im finally used to it...

anyone else have different expectations? ... this is purely opinion-based... not a thread for grilling.

M

MrCharisma

Agreed

Folkes isn't going to read my post how I'd like Brideson dropped... NO....

Christabella

Reaction score
I agree with you Soulja either way it does become a habit.
As for emotion I'm still very happy for my AFL team off to the best start since 1979 with wooden spoon favourites to play next week ... their last 4 matches sort of evens out the Dogs last four and I'm used to one team succeeding and the other failing because for the plast few years the roles have been reversed.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Soulja said:
just to make myself clear, im not abandoning this team... but honestly... im OVER feeling disappointed, dejected, and gutted over our losses...

right now i just cbf feeling any emotion right now...

i think having won so many games between 2002 and 2004 got us used to winning so many times, that losing would just seem abnormal and a total shock...

now the shock is gone... now the feeling and expectation of "winning all the time" is gone...

getting used to losing was tough at first.... but now im finally used to it..
Top post Soulja. Agreed 1000%.

I thought that I would be gutted after the loss. But in a way you kind of have to expect it. You cant expect to win EVERY game.

And with a coach like Folkes and a team like the Dogs, you can only learn from the bad stuff that happens to us.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
MrCharisma said:
Surely you think we'd win ONE game out of four...
What can you say? shiit happens.

We will come good.....eventually.

I'm not worried.

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
K E said:
I thought that I would be gutted after the loss. But in a way you kind of have to expect it. You cant expect to win EVERY game.

fo sho... i mean when we win our 2nd game of the season whether it happens next round or in round 20... then all i'll do is raise an eyebrow...

winning 6 or more straight will restore some of that old excitement i used to have...

but right now... all i can do is shrug at every loss and just think "ah well, what else is new"

M

MrCharisma

With Brideson in the side, we are always playing a man down.

The day he is in the run on squad, is the day I burnt my Bulldogs jersey

Anastabation

Reaction score
For me personally... yeah the losses hurt but at the moment I can still think of the bad times in terms of off feild scandals and getting kicked out of the comp after we were certain to win it and then how good it was to bounce back so quickly and win the comp, and I get peace of mind. Atleast the dogs gave us a premiership win. Right now the Roosters fans are probably feeling a bit better out life than us but if we win and they lose next week it won't be the case. I think alot of fans are guilty of thinking about back to back premierships before a ball was kicked this year and maybe the players are aswell. It is still ridiculously early in the season... round 6 from 26... there is 40 competition points for us still to get and 22 of those will see us surely make the top 8... but we still have to earn those points... we will not get them for turning up. As disapointing as last night ended up being, the first 30 minutes was a step in the right direction. I'm pretty sure we'll beat knights even with the players backing up.

mickey83

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's hard to take. the last time we lost 4 in a row was back in 2000, so we are not use to getting beaten week in week out. Its not all bad many top teams have slow starting seasons once in a while and are always there at the end of the season. So lets keep our heads held high and don't lose confidence in the doggies.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
People have to realise that last year was an unbelievable year for our team. We only lost 4 games in the whole season. Yes, Im upset at how we are going at the moment but after each loss I just think back to how I felt after the GF. I also have footage of where I was sitting with the crowd going beserk which is awesome.
We are near the bottom of the ladder at the moment but the tide will turn soon and we will slowly start climbing up through the ladder. Just remember, you only have to make the 8 to win the comp. If we do that and have a full squad with no injuries we will be hard to stop. Im just waiting for our odds to blow out a bit more so I can throw a hundred bucks on us to win the comp.

M

MrCharisma

Dog-E last night brought up a good point as we drove home;

The year after we get into a Grand Final, we always struggle

Dogs_Goddess™

Miss Perfection
Reaction score
MrCharisma said:
The year after we get into a Grand Final, we always struggle
that is EXACTLY what i was thinking.. i cnat really remember many GFs coz i was an 88 baby, but for some reason i had a feeling that somethign like that may have happened in the past n i asked my cousins and they seemed to agree...

i wonder why tho... too much confidence?

M

MrCharisma

It's our game plan

Last year we had massive forward power and quality off the bench and we are trying to play like that now.

Willskii

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
yeah i know what you mean, i just don't get as disappointed anymore, it just seems normal, doesn't feel to bad. so its alright. I know we will bounce back later sometime.

M

MrCharisma

lol it's not normal.... we have a winning culture at the club. We have some insane rep players and sensational juniors... why are we losing?

Work a new game plan. We aren't chasing the Roosters as the bench mark anymore. We need to look at the new style game with Manly's created "D" defencive style and look at the Raiders who are reviving the short passes with Jason Smith

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i remmember in 2001 folkes had to have a meeting with the players because their form had improved greatly from the previous year, and had to change the seasons expectations from a top8 spot to a preimiership threat.

we should do that this year ans i think the team needs to be sensible and look at getting into the top 8 via places 4-6 with some good form into the finals and winning our way to the GF with Mason O'Meley SBW all fit and ready to play well

by the back end of the season, myles, armit, brideson, cutler, and all the new 1st grade players would be better off with their expeiriences in the first games of the year

M

MrCharisma

the only threatening we're going at the moment is threatening Newcastle for the Wooden Spoon

Status
Not open for further replies.