The uncomfortable truth about Schoupp

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I said this and got my head chewed off. Thank you!! His defence is sus! He can’t read it. I mean there is a reason they score week in and out down his side. But in saying that it can be fixed he’s only young and the leap from Flegg to NRL is massive. There is a lot of shapes thrown and the attack is more fluent. Have faith we will get there.
Yeah, this place is like that, they blame certain players for everything....then they pick certain kennel darlings to excessively praise and act like they can do no wrong. I am not a big fan of Schoupp. I think he lacks footwork and his d is very sis.... I also couldn’t believe he jeopardised his place in the team earlier this year by breaching the covid bubble almost straight after getting his opportunity. But I acknowledge that he tries hard and brings a lot of energy. If he can work on his shortcomings, e could develop into a good player.... at this stage he has been a bit of a mixed bag.... can’t fault his effort or energy, but his defence is just not up to scratch atm,

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Would miss less than Edam Ediot.
No he wouldn’t. Pretty sure his percentage of effective tackles is a lot lower than Elliott’s. Elliott has missed more, but he makes a hell of a lot more. I don’t think Elliott gas ever turned out a defensive game with 53 percent tackle efficacy. Lol

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
OP is correct . He was horrible in defence today I am afraid. Any one who thinks he wasn’t really has no idea . Not saying I am not a fan of his as there is a lot of upside to his game. But he has some major work to do in this area of his game. You would of noticed that Okunbour wasn’t as poor today in defence when not playing outside Schoup. Hopefully some hard work in the off season will yield better defensive results .
That’s all I’m saying. He obviously has upsides, but anyone who says his d is ok is in denial.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
No he wouldn’t. Pretty sure his percentage of effective tackles is a lot lower than Elliott’s. Elliott has missed more, but he makes a hell of a lot more. I don’t think Elliott gas ever turned out a defensive game with 53 percent tackle efficacy. Lol
He's an outside back, obviously it's lower lol. Take a look at try causes and line break causes, Elliott is first for forwards with 14 TC in 17 games and second for line break causes with 16 in 17 games. Schoupp has 7 a piece from 10 games. Elliott is statically the worst defensive forward in the game, eye test tells us similar.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He's an outside back, obviously it's lower lol. Take a look at try causes and line break causes, Elliott is first for forwards with 14 TC in 17 games and second for line break causes with 16 in 17 games. Schoupp has 7 a piece from 10 games. Elliott is statically the worst defensive forward in the game, eye test tells us similar.
Try cause and linebrsak cause are totally subjective statistics though. They don’t factor in disorganisation by the entire defensive line.

I’m not trying to argue Elliott has had a good year defensively.... of course he hasn’t. But I think if you honestly think Schoupp is a stronger defender at this stage, you’re kidding yourself.

As far as Elliott goes, I’m on record as saying I think he should be playing lock. I also don’t think he should be playing 80 minutes.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
5 missed tackles isn’t much better than 6.
Hahahaha yeah that was last week (mind you he made 13 tackles). But what about the rest of his games?

Let it go dude. He's only a rookie and is expected to have some deficiencies as he navigates his way through first grade. Why you're singling him out is anyones guess.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Try cause and linebrsak cause are totally subjective statistics though. They don’t factor in disorganisation by the entire defensive line.

I’m not trying to argue Elliott has had a good year defensively.... of course he hasn’t. But I think if you honestly think Schoupp is a stronger defender at this stage, you’re kidding yourself.

As far as Elliott goes, I’m on record as saying I think he should be playing lock. I also don’t think he should be playing 80 minutes.
Elliott should be playing for another club.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
8 tackles, 6 missed tackles, 1 ineffective tackle.

Week in, week out, Schoupp is our worst defender. There’s your hero for you, Kennel.

Should be dropped for Corey Allan next week. I don’t care if he runs hard. He couldn’t put an earthworm to ground.
Wow, cut him some slack. The whole team is defending like wet paper bags... he's still young... and not that I dislike Allen, but is he doing much better these days?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Hahahaha yeah that was last week (mind you he made 13 tackles). But what about the rest of his games?

Let it go dude. He's only a rookie and is expected to have some deficiencies as he navigates his way through first grade. Why you're singling him out is anyones guess.
Because he is the worst defender in the team and has been ever since he came into the side. Hopefully he will be replaced by a quality centre sooner than later.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Wow, cut him some slack. The whole team is defending like wet paper bags... he's still young... and not that I dislike Allen, but is he doing much better these days?
He missed almost as many tackles as he made today.... yet the kennel treats him as if he’s an emerging superstar. Not sure why people keep comparing him to Elliott. Elliott food nothing but criticism on here.... if someone dares to criticise Schoupp, people get their knickers in a knot and start keyboard shouting and name calling. Defensively he’s not ready for first grade. That’s my opinion. Elliott has been bad defensively too this year.... but he hasn’t been anywhere near as much of a liability as Schoupp.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Idiot can't even figure out when he has the ball on the fifth tackle. I doubt he could even spell Covid
He’s not the first player to musculcukare a tackle count and he won’t be the last.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Schoup would be exposed a lot more if the team he played wasn't as terrible as us, we are literally a turnstile defensively literally in every position. If we had proper cattle he probably would just be a fill in for us

Elliot however is an overpriced knobhead. He deserves the criticism he gets because he's on a much higher pay packet than what he has shown us.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
8 tackles, 6 missed tackles, 1 ineffective tackle.

Week in, week out, Schoupp is our worst defender. There’s your hero for you, Kennel.

Should be dropped for Corey Allan next week. I don’t care if he runs hard. He couldn’t put an earthworm to ground.
Thanks for the post mate. Well spotted.
That’s a turnstile right there.
Fix it or out.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
0E87C737-A491-4198-9888-0E1668F286E4.png
Well well well, someone needs to do some research, he averages 2 missed tackles a game, some top quality players average 3. Burton averages more, as does munster doesnt make them reserve grade players does it. The lad is 19, course he has stuff to work on but hes also today been single handedly our biggest attacking threat, if you are picking Schoupp out in particular considering some of the players we see week in week out like Katoa, Elliot, Waddell, Okunbor, you are an idiot.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s not a world beater, but he’s currently the best we have, and at some point, we have to realise, we can’t just buy 13 super players, so some areas you have to draw a line if we have someone adequate enough to contend a position in a much better team.

With Alamoti competition next year for the spot with Schoupp I’m quite happy for him to be in our plans moving forward. Defense can be worked on, sure as sh&t are going to have the same defense issues with Alamoti.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ve posted this before, and it’s even more attributable to this thread, comparing the defensive stats of a centre to almost anyone else is a worthless exercise.

“Many say that centre is the hardest position to play defence, there's scheming halves inside you, 2nd rowers trying to run straight over you, opposition centres running inside and outside lines at you and wingers trying to beat with you with pace on the outside. …………….Let alone the physical load that it takes to defend against the smallest, tallest, smartest, fastest and most athletic opposition coming at you from 3 directions, often at the same time.”

Always a Bulldog