News The two NRL teams who will improve in 2023

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two NRL teams should improve more than any others in 2023.
Chase Christensen

The NRL season is over, and as was the case 12 months ago, the Penrith Panthers will be left to defend their premiership once again.

It's a tale of woe at the other end of the ladder though as the struggling sides attempt to make improvements.

Here are the two sides from that half of the ladder who should make big improvements in 2023.

Canterbury Bulldogs
The Canterbury Bulldogs will be the team to watch next season, as the equation of finals or bust has been set.

Like Brisbane's 2022 expectations; Canterbury will finish the season successfully if they reach the top eight, as a couple of key players will be added to the strongly building side.

Viliame Kikau and Reed Mahoney are the two big catches for the men from Belmore, as both have played key roles in their clubs being in the 2022 decider.

The Bulldogs hold a young group of outside backs, as well as Josh Addo-Carr providing strong leadership on the wing. Expect Jacob Kiraz and Arron Shoupp to both have breakout years in 2023, after both showing signs of having the ability to become key players in their position. Being around more successful and classy players will only go to improve young individuals like themselves.

Newly appointed coach Cameron Ciraldo and General manager of football Phil Gould have proved that they're two of the best coaches to have around a club and their history at Penrith should manufacture into success for the blue and white.

Wests Tigers
The Wests Tigers have had tough times over the past decade predominantly, with the club now looking to end their eleven-season finals drought.

It seems like they've been stuck in the mud over this never-ending poor period, however, hope of making improvements next season is alive.

New faces have been added on the field, as well as a couple of appointments in the coaching box, which are arguably more important. Tim Sheens will take over as the head coach, alongside club legend Benji Marshall and Robbie Farrah as assistant coaches.

This is a mixture which can work for the Tigers and give their fans some rare success. Despite a lot of drama surrounding the signings of Apisai Korisou and Isaiah Papali'i, they will certainly be at the club next year. These are two great recruitments for the Tigers.

Mind you, I would be tearing up Api's contract after a comment over the past week, although that's a story for another day.

These inclusions will create a new spark, however Tigers' fans should be most excited about the addition of Benji Marhsall. As an ‘NRL 360' addict; I love listening to Benji Marshall and he should have something special to bring to the club.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I still reckon tigers bottom 4 next year along with Knights, Warriors and St Merge
Yep. Althogh they get Papalii and Api they still have a green as rookie coach in Benji and a bloke who once upon a time was a good coach but hasnt been in the hot seat for years..

Cheng

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Next years top 4
Penrith
Melbourne
Rorters
Cowboys

Bottom 4
Pilchards
St Merge
Knights
Tigers

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont think any code in Australia has such a "nothing" club like the Tigers. Every single season they offer stupid money to a bunch of players, have some sort of coaching turmoil, a player fallout and end up 13th or 14th.

I still cant believe they took on both Reynolds and Mbye off us after seeing them both fail to do anything here.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think any code in Australia has such a "nothing" club like the Tigers. Every single season they offer stupid money to a bunch of players, have some sort of coaching turmoil, a player fallout and end up 13th or 14th.

I still cant believe they took on both Reynolds and Mbye off us after seeing them both fail to do anything here.
You only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime and I've had mine – Kerry Packer.
Well the Dogs have gone one better. We had two Alan Bonds in our lifetime in the West Tigers twice. Maybe a lucky third in Flanno in this off season if we're lucky.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I started reading the article then saw the other team was the waste tigers. Then I stopped.
Same, that's when I lol'd and gave up reading.Also am sceptical about Schoupp we need better in the centres..
Not that I know many of the journos names anyway but wtf is Chase Christensen....

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I see us finishing anywhere between 8th-12th next year. I can cop just missing finals as long as we're competitive in the back end to make a top 8 position and the teams that finish in the bottom of the 8 aren't shit/playing shit.

I also think Koro and Papali'i will be massive for the Tigers but when I look through all the teams rosters for next year it's going to be a really competitive year.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I see us finishing anywhere between 8th-12th next year. I can cop just missing finals as long as we're competitive in the back end to make a top 8 position and the teams that finish in the bottom of the 8 aren't shit/playing shit.

I also think Koro and Papali'i will be massive for the Tigers but when I look through all the teams rosters for next year it's going to be a really competitive year.
Tiepies won’t make the top 12, we will make the 8.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Can’t make the 8 with Burton turning the ball down to Schoupp every time we try to play across field.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Can’t make the 8 with Burton turning the ball down to Schoupp every time we try to play across field.
Schoupp and Burton will look multiple times better with passes from dummy half from Reed and Kikau the best decoy in the game. Our whole left side should be insane.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking forces from above will get them out of the bottom 4…

As an extraterrestrial I am sure you could understand
I understand many cosmic wonders but the fins being better than 4 other teams isn't one of them.
I guess only time will tell.

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Any side with Robbie Farah on the coaching staff will end up in warring factions with have players not knowing who is in charge. And Marshall as well?
And Api? Recipe for disaster.
spot on Farah is one of the reasons for their downfall