The Tennis Thread

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
just curious, do you think you might be influenced by the narrative pushed by the media by Djokovic?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/ten...vak-djokovic-is-the-goat-20230130-p5cgij.html

just consider my above post about Nadal's injuries from last year and how different in tone the media were about reporting his rib, foot, and abdominal injuries as opposed to the "Djokovic is faking" articles we read here
Yeah pretty much what she said I respect him but it’s just tall poppy syndrome. I do know a younger girl in her mid 20’s from Serbia that worked with me and now that lives back their and I don’t know if it’s that countries version of tall poppy syndrome but she said all her friends can’t stand him he doesn’t represent what her life is like. Maybe she had a bit edgy views and didn’t like idolising someone ect ect and probably not the majority of the countries views but that was hers.

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Irrelevant. Prime Novak never had to play against prime Federer. Their career didn't start at the same time.
Of course he did....Federer was at the absolute height of his powers when Novak came along and started beating him for fun. He has also sustained his dominance of the sport for a longer period of time, which must also count for something.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I respect his skill and talent I just don’t like him. Maybe it’s the over confidence I don’t know it’s obviously not a good quality for me but just dont like him. Whinging and carrying on about the vax thing good don’t get it I couldn’t give a shit but you don’t get special rules because you hit a little furry ball around. Like our rules or lump them.
in truth, Djokovic did not get special rules... he was advised to seek an exemption (by who?) which would involve having his medical status examined anonymously by two Australian medical panels (or one panel and one board/doctor?) and if approved, he would be allowed to enter Australia without being vaccinated... but then the issue of a Djokovic exemption started to reverberate in the Australian public and whipped up by the likes of Todd Woodbridge and Sam Groth and then ScoMo decides to use the issue as a political win and has Djokovic's visa cancelled wrongly almost immediately he touches down in Melbourne --> hence, why the Government consented to Djokovic's first Federal Court application... but then, on Friday evening and with the Australian Open starting the following Monday morning and Djokovic in the draw (in Nadal's half no less), the government again cancels Djokovic's visa using a broad ministerial discretion not because his entry to Australia was contrary to law (they accepted his documents were in order) but because:

"I have given consideration to the fact that Mr Djokovic is a high profile unvaccinated individual who has indicated publicly that he is opposed to becoming vaccinated against Covid-19," the Immigration Minister wrote.

"In addition, I consider that Mr Djokovic's ongoing presence in Australia may lead to an increase in anti-vaccination sentiment generated in the Australian community, potentially leading to an increase in civil unrest of the kind previously experienced in Australia with rallies and protests which may themselves be a source of community transmission." - Alex Hawke

imagine throwing Greta Thunberg out of the country simply because her mere presence may encourage ordinary Australians to adopt a green agenda?

and because Australians hate Djokovic, nobody thinks to question the actions, motives and incompetency of decision makers here --> Dan Andrews got re-elected last year, Craig Tiley of Tennis Australia is still in his job, and ScoMo had a lot more problems than his border management that cost him his job

let's leave aside the lack of logic in allowing Djokovic into Australia in 2020, 2021 and 2023 while Covid is still an issue but taking some supposed moral high ground over vaccinations in 2022 for now... the problem with taking a strict Australian entry policy is that Australia hosts international events like the Australian Open which by definition must allow entry to all players that qualify... by restricting that entry, Australia fails to live up to its end of the bargain... for example, why not move the event until the Covid issue is sufficiently resolved or under control like they did with the Cinncinatti Masters in 2020 which was played in New York?

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
in truth, Djokovic did not get special rules... he was advised to seek an exemption (by who?) which would involve having his medical status examined anonymously by two Australian medical panels (or one panel and one board/doctor?) and if approved, he would be allowed to enter Australia without being vaccinated... but then the issue of a Djokovic exemption started to reverberate in the Australian public and whipped up by the likes of Todd Woodbridge and Sam Groth and then ScoMo decides to use the issue as a political win and has Djokovic's visa cancelled wrongly almost immediately he touches down in Melbourne --> hence, why the Government consented to Djokovic's first Federal Court application... but then, on Friday evening and with the Australian Open starting the following Monday morning and Djokovic in the draw (in Nadal's half no less), the government again cancels Djokovic's visa using a broad ministerial discretion not because his entry to Australia was contrary to law (they accepted his documents were in order) but because:

"I have given consideration to the fact that Mr Djokovic is a high profile unvaccinated individual who has indicated publicly that he is opposed to becoming vaccinated against Covid-19," the Immigration Minister wrote.

"In addition, I consider that Mr Djokovic's ongoing presence in Australia may lead to an increase in anti-vaccination sentiment generated in the Australian community, potentially leading to an increase in civil unrest of the kind previously experienced in Australia with rallies and protests which may themselves be a source of community transmission." - Alex Hawke

imagine throwing Greta Thunberg out of the country simply because her mere presence may encourage ordinary Australians to adopt a green agenda?

and because Australians hate Djokovic, nobody thinks to question the actions, motives and incompetency of decision makers here --> Dan Andrews got re-elected last year, Craig Tiley of Tennis Australia is still in his job, and ScoMo had a lot more problems than his border management that cost him his job

let's leave aside the lack of logic in allowing Djokovic into Australia in 2020, 2021 and 2023 while Covid is still an issue but taking some supposed moral high ground over vaccinations in 2022 for now... the problem with taking a strict Australian entry policy is that Australia hosts international events like the Australian Open which by definition must allow entry to all players that qualify... by restricting that entry, Australia fails to live up to its end of the bargain... for example, why not move the event until the Covid issue is sufficiently resolved or under control like they did with the Cinncinatti Masters in 2020 which was played in New York?

That was a good post I get what your saying and I agree he didn’t get special rules but nor would I

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was a good post I get what your saying and I agree he didn’t get special rules but nor would I
But Djokovic DID FOLLOW the rules to get into Australia... he applied for a medical exemption which was anonymously assessed by two Australian medical boards and granted... it was only after it became a political issue that the Australian government tried to backtrack and cancel his visa

I understand the argument put forward by Darren Cahill that he initially hated the exemption given to Djokovic because it was not intended for those that did not want to get vaccinated but for those that were not in a position to get vaccinated and Djokovic clearly had no intention to get vaccinated... but even with that argument you have to blame all involved (Tennis Australia, the Victorian Government, the Federal Government, and Djokovic) and you would have to assume that Djokovic was aware of the intent behind the exemption beforehand

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah pretty much what she said I respect him but it’s just tall poppy syndrome. I do know a younger girl in her mid 20’s from Serbia that worked with me and now that lives back their and I don’t know if it’s that countries version of tall poppy syndrome but she said all her friends can’t stand him he doesn’t represent what her life is like. Maybe she had a bit edgy views and didn’t like idolising someone ect ect and probably not the majority of the countries views but that was hers.
Djokovic is very popular among Serbs

p.s. Serb girls are generally unimpressed... by anything

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He applied for and was granted an exception under the existing rules, though. I don't agree with his position on the vax. I do believe in his right to his opinion and to make his own choices. And I also think granting him a visa, then reversing the decision after he had arrived, keeping him in detention and deporting him in very humiliating fashion was disgraceful.

If people have an issue with the rules which entitled him admission to the country, their issue should be with the rules and those who assessed his application, not with the guy himself.

And you think he received preferential treatment because of his profile? Maybe, but the reverse argument can also be made. he wouldn't have been humiliated in the fashion he was, or deported if not for his profile and the fact the government didn't approve of his views.

I think whether people like or dislike him, he is a great player and was treated poorly. I'm happy for him that he won... and in very dominant fashion.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He applied for and was granted an exception under the existing rules, though. I don't agree with his position on the vax. I do believe in his right to his opinion and to make his own choices. And I also think granting him a visa, then reversing the decision after he had arrived, keeping him in detention and deporting him in very humiliating fashion was disgraceful.

If people have an issue with the rules which entitled him admission to the country, their issue should be with the rules and those who assessed his application, not with the guy himself.

And you think he received preferential treatment because of his profile? Maybe, but the reverse argument can also be made. he wouldn't have been humiliated in the fashion he was, or deported if not for his profile and the fact the government didn't approve of his views.

I think whether people like or dislike him, he is a great player and was treated poorly. I'm happy for him that he won... and in very dominant fashion.
It only became an issue because of Djokovic's profile with Voracova and Serdarusic proving that others were being let in with the same exemption and would have been free to stay for the duration of the Australian Open had there not been a witch hunt for Djokovic

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
It only became an issue because of Djokovic's profile with Voracova and Serdarusic proving that others were being let in with the same exemption and would have been free to stay for the duration of the Australian Open had there not been a witch hunt for Djokovic
Yeah, I agree. No doubt in my mind he was made an example of for political reasons.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
To me the best player of all time is Federer.. The GOAT is Djokovic.. what sets him apart is his mental attitude..Federer was frail in this department.. None better example than the 2019 Wimbledon..Fed had two championship points on his serve..If the Fed won that, no question who was the GOAT..he won more points, more sets, and more games, but on those clutch points, Djokovic came up trumps.. Federer beat himself that day..

Djokovic mind is as good as his gameplay..which is strong, tough, and brilliant..and that is why if I needed a tennis player playing for my life it’d be him..and that’s hard for me to say because I love the Fed..

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me the best player of all time is Federer.. The GOAT is Djokovic.. what sets him apart is his mental attitude..Federer was frail in this department.. None better example than the 2019 Wimbledon..Fed had two championship points on his serve..If the Fed won that, no question who was the GOAT..he won more points, more sets, and more games, but on those clutch points, Djokovic came up trumps.. Federer beat himself that day..

Djokovic mind is as good as his gameplay..which is strong, tough, and brilliant..and that is why if I needed a tennis player playing for my life it’d be him..and that’s hard for me to say because I love the Fed..
"At these crucial moments, Federer had to pay for the years 2004 to 2007. He dominated his rivals so much that he never had to play an important game. It was too easy for him at the time - so he did not improve tactically... Nadal and Djokovic are champions in this discipline and he doesn't play these points correctly tactically." - Mats Wilander

as for someone playing for your life, it depends on the surface and stadium (eg. Nadal on clay at the larger Roland Garros stadium is almost unbeatable)

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
"At these crucial moments, Federer had to pay for the years 2004 to 2007. He dominated his rivals so much that he never had to play an important game. It was too easy for him at the time - so he did not improve tactically... Nadal and Djokovic are champions in this discipline and he doesn't play these points correctly tactically." - Mats Wilander

as for someone playing for your life, it depends on the surface and stadium (eg. Nadal on clay at the larger Roland Garros stadium is almost unbeatable)
My court is on the street.. Djokovic is my go to man..

Lol..I couldn’t help saying that.. My Rocky V moment..

I just point out that the Fed got to the point to win that Wimbledon final..so tactically he was spot on that day..just needed to go for it on his serve going close to the lines which he had been doing, but he pulled back when the time came for the knockout blow..if you watch, you’ll see it.. As for Nadal once the Fed fixed his backhand..he was able to negate Nadal’s high bouncy shot playing..actually he beat him like 5 times in row, which included the brilliant final at the Australian Open... But who am I to argue with the champ Wilander..

Last edited:

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
people should not get too carried away with statistics... they are obviously important but they are not the be-all and end-all of this discussion... for example, Diego Maradona is the greatest ever footballer IMO even though his CV is dwarfed by the likes of Pele and Messi but for me, when Diego was at his best, he was without peer... so the likes of Federer and Laver will also continue to be in the GOAT discussion for tennis

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My court is on the street.. Djokovic is my go to man..
funnily enough, Djokovic started off as a simple, one dimensional baseliner with no variation on his serve, no net game, a bad overhead smash, questionable endurance etc... the player he has made himself into now is almost unrecognisable to the boy with the blonde highlights Safin smashed back in 2005

afterwards, having lost to Safin 6-0, 6-2, 6-1, Djokovic apologised at the net

Last edited:

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
funnily enough, Djokovic started off as a simple, one dimensional baseliner with no variation on his serve, no net game, a bad overhead smash, questionable endurance etc... the player he has made himself into now is almost unrecognisable to the boy with the blonde highlights Safin smashed back in 2005

afterwards, having lost to Safin 6-0, 6-2, 6-1, Djokovic apologised at the net
His diet played a massive role too.. he used to wilt in the heat.. but in 2010 he caught up with sports nutritionist Dr Igor Cetojevic, who conducted tests that showed he was strongly intolerant to wheat and diary products.. began avoiding gluten and dairy, and limiting sugar..started eating vegetables, beans, white meat, fish, fruit, nuts, seeds, chickpeas, lentils and healthy oils.. It helped him become the fitness machine he is now..

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His diet played a massive role too.. he used to wilt in the heat.. but in 2010 he caught up with sports nutritionist Dr Igor Cetojevic, who conducted tests that showed he was strongly intolerant to wheat and diary products.. began avoiding gluten and dairy, and limiting sugar..started eating vegetables, beans, white meat, fish, fruit, nuts, seeds, chickpeas, lentils and healthy oils.. It helped him become the fitness machine he is now..
very true... Djokovic has also worked hard on his flexibility, he worked on his net game, having Ivanisevic as his coach has definitely improved his serve, he employs gurus, uses statistical analyses on rivals, hyperbaric chambers for recovery etc... and facing Federer and Nadal in the late noughties with the crowds against him gave him a mental edge --> ironic that hostile Fedal fans created a monster in Djokovic

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
very true... Djokovic has also worked hard on his flexibility, he worked on his net game, having Ivanisevic as his coach has definitely improved his serve, he employs gurus, uses statistical analyses on rivals, hyperbaric chambers for recovery etc... and facing Federer and Nadal in the late noughties with the crowds against him gave him a mental edge --> ironic that hostile Fedal fans created a monster in Djokovic
100%

I actually don’t particularly like him..but massive credit to the guy..he found the way to win..