The Socceroos thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With the lead up to the 2014 WC in Brazil underway, I thought this would be ideal.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Harry Kewell's international future is up in the air after he was omitted from the Socceroos squad to face Wales in a friendly in Cardiff on August 11 (EST).

But Socceroos coach Holger Osieck recalled Barclays Premier League player Tim Cahill and Mark Schwarzer to his squad after they missed the June friendlies against New Zealand and Serbia in Australia.

Osieck also named Middlesbrough striker Scott McDonald in his18-man squad, while calling up Korea-based defender Luke DeVere for the first time.

Former Brisbane Roar defender DeVere has not featured for the Socceroos since playing under Pim Verbeek.

Osieck has retained 14 of the players who featured against New Zealand and Serbia.

Midfielder Brett Emerton, meanwhile, is poised to become the second-most capped Socceroos player, behind Schwarzer, as he's set to equal Alex Tobin's tally of 87 full international caps.

Australia have not played Wales previously at full international level.

The Socceroos are Australia are No.23 in the FIFA world rankings, with Wales No.112.

The Socceroos will assemble in Wales on Monday after completing weekend club commitments.

Socceroos squad: Tim Cahill (Everton, England), Luke DeVere (Gyeongnam FC, South Korea), Brett Emerton (Blackburn, England), Adam Federici (Reading, England), Brett Holman (AZ Alkmaar, Holland), Mile Jedinak Crystal Palace, England), Neil Kilkenny (Bristol City, England), Robbie Kruse (Fortuna Dusseldorf, Germany), Scott McDonald (Middlesbrough, England), Matt McKay (Brisbane Roar), Lucas Neill (uncontracted), Mark Schwarzer (Fulham, England), Matthew Spiranovic (Urawa Red Diamonds, Japan), James Troisi (Kayserispor Kulubu, Turkey), Carl Valeri (Sassuolo Calcio, Italy), Luke Wilkshire (Dinamo Moscow, Russia), Rhys Williams (Middlesbrough, England, Michael Zullo (Utrecht, Netherlands)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Not to sure what I think about leaving Kewell about. If Neil wasnt captain, would he of been left out? Kewell was our player of tournament in Asia. Love the idea with him promoting some of the youngesters through.

The-Game

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
why do so many australian players not even play in an australian team

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kewell doesnt have a club yet...
Neither does Lucas Neil. But he gets special treatment cause he has the C. Mind you - Kewell got our players player at our last AFC
why do so many australian players not even play in an australian team
Easy. The A-league is, in my mind, is about a D grade comp compared to the top leagues. Its been vastly noted that if you play for an overseas club, your chance of representing the green and gold increases exponentially

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i think the Australian group in world cup qualifying consists of saudi arabia, oman and thailand with the top 2 going to the final stage of asian qualification

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
just flicked on the game now to see the score

australia won 2-1 against thailand after condceding the opener

goals to kennedy and brosque with the 86th minute winner

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very shaky performance but got the right result which is all that matters.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
must have been a shaky performance.

seems thailand have done well over the last few years developing their players

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i dont like that people dont give thailand any respect

they are a country of 70 million people ffs, its not the cook islands

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Watched the game and we were very lucky. Were dominant but just the last touches were horrible at one stage there we possession was 78-22 and by the end of the game we had 50 inside the penalty area to Thailands 8. Very lucky win, Thailand were unlucky deserved a point at worst

Moronic Musings

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
kilkenny is horrible. get rid of him asap. bring mckay/jedinak to midfield, zullo/carney left back, valeri out, an attacking mid in his place and josh kennedy out in place of kruse, mcdonald or rukavytsa. aaaaah actually kennedy is probably better than all those players so keep him in.

id like to see this team at full strength:

Schwarzer
Wilkshire---Neill---Spiranovic/Ogenovski/Kisnorbo---Carney/Zullo
----------------------McKay----------------------------
----Emerton----------------------------Holman
----------------------???------------------------------
---------Cahill------------------------Kewell-------------

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Dario Vidosic?

Anyways... Australia hasnt produced a decent striker since Mark Viduka...

Are they even developing strikers in the junior ranks?

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Dario Vidosic?

Munnuz 1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brosque!!!!!!

Dario Vidosic?

Young bloke by the name of Dimitri Petratos who plays for Sydney FC who looks like he could be a future socceroo, that probably wont be for a while but. Kerom Bulut has gone downhill and I think is in trouble with the law too after leaving the youth league, he looked promising, scored in almost every game. Nick Carle has had a good pre season and could be back in the squad as an attacking midefielder if he keeps going the way he has over the past 6 weeks or so. Not much happening overseas in the way of strikers. Borsque, Kruse and Kennedy can get the job done up front during qualifying, but come finals and we have a similar squad, we might be in trouble.

Moronic Musings

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
kruse is quality, give him time and he would be a good supporting / second striker. we need a target man with the way we play, whipping balls in left right and centre and playing direct. kennedy is not the answer and petratos is a great player.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wanna see Rukavytsa in the squad more often. I think he can offer a lot. And I am a big McDonald fan. The day he breaks his drought will be one of the happiest days for me. Doesnt get the raps that he deserves.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
kruse is quality, give him time and he would be a good supporting / second striker. we need a target man with the way we play, whipping balls in left right and centre and playing direct. kennedy is not the answer and petratos is a great player.
That's the thing... When was the last time we had a Target man?

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
A much better overall performance by the socceroos beating Saudi Arabia 3-1 with Kennedy scoring a double

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Watched the game.

Didnt know what to make of it. The conditions definitely made it a lot harder. They could not play how they normally would - I think i even saw Emers blowing at one stage, which is massive considering how much of a fitness freak he is.

Zullo was impressive, Holman played strong upfront. Interesting to see that Cahill was dropped (and it doesnt look like it was injury based). I love Holman - he worked well with former Jesus lookalike in JK. Worked hard off the ball, set up a goal and fought hard for it. Wilkshere and Emmers had great lead up work to Kennedys first goal. To be fair though, both open field goals was abit sloppy on the SA's GK. Shoulda been quicker to react to Joshs' header and had a poor clearance eaten up by Holman who sent JK through on goal.

Sasha was recalled as well, and he played ok. Was impressed with the structure, even without Timmy.

Status
Not open for further replies.