THE RUNNING GAME

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a thought, it appears to me that the more successful teams this year are playing a much more running type game, than in the recent years. The panthers have been the best at it for far, but some of the other teams appear to be catching up.
Those who were around the late 70's early 80's like myself might remember our club playing a running type game which made our club known as the entertainers.
It looks like to me that we are now the worst at it, and if their was an award for playing with planted feet, our club would win it easily this year.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Nope, we have the T-BAZ, we're golden!

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pointed this out earlier, look at the Storm and Panthers and you will notice that their entire spine are all strong ball runners and it's part of why they are where they are right now.
Surely even our team could be taught to play players always in motion football, when I played a bit of bush football, ( back in the 1960's btw) I found that by always been on the move (that is never stopping) I didn't run out of gas as quickly as when I had to continually stop and start.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Just a thought, it appears to me that the more successful teams this year are playing a much more running type game, than in the recent years. The panthers have been the best at it for far, but some of the other teams appear to be catching up.
Those who were around the late 70's early 80's like myself might remember our club playing a running type game which made our club known as the entertainers.
It looks like to me that we are now the worst at it, and if their was an award for playing with planted feet, our club would win it easily this year.
However they have perfected running after opposition players slowly then the opposition makes a line break.

Also very good at jogging back behind the try line when the opposition scores a try.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Agree with you Kelpie.

So we need more front foot running players-

ENTER SHAUN JOHNSON

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
However they have perfected running after opposition players slowly then the opposition makes a line break.

Also very good at jogging back behind the try line when the opposition scores a try.
Your second line is very accurate, it may be because our lads have had plenty of practice at doing it.
Mind you TB should train them to do that part of our game much slower so that our boys can conserve energy and use up time..

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget about Duffy bro
No Sorry Assassin, I can't forget about Duffy because I haven't given up hope that we are going to sign him up, and I bet you that little Bastard will have another blinder against us tomorrow, That may put Barrett in another frame of mind & he may possibly bring Duffy to Belmore, we need that kind of speed & back up play.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I think it is a balancing act - you aspire to the running game, but you need to scale into new levels as the experience and skills develop for the players and their combinations click more and more. We could argue that they should just chance their hand and just go for it, but the mistakes could create lopsided scores that may demoralise and stunt their confidence and development - it is a balancing act and not easy to coach, but necessary.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yep... ball runners with good hands, but lots of motion off the ball to keep the often rushing defence guessing... a crafty 6 and 7 who play whats in front, and a solid 1 calling shots from the back. A 9 who is sharp off the ground and a pack that is mobile and can create momentum... a backline that runs deep and wingers who can catch a high ball and bend the line on return. Add to that a nice fast defensive line speed and you will win the comp... its pretty much everything we don't have.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Our running game is more suited for the Paralympics...