Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
MATT LOGUE, The Sunday Telegraph

January 13, 2018 4:08pm

Subscriber only

IT’S late afternoon in Dubbo, the sun is setting and Dean Pay is in a frantic rush.

Pay has just finished training the local rugby league team and is bolting to the harness racing track while taking calls from his business partner about their $500,000 five-bay car wash.

This was the champion prop’s chaotic world in 2007 when he returned to his hometown following an illustrious first grade career spanning a decade.

Looking back, Pay says this period paved the way for his rise through the clipboard ranks to coach Canterbury.

Throw in coaching stints in France, Melbourne, Parramatta, NSW under 20s, Canberra and Hervey Bay — while running a pub — and the bookend is ready to make light work of his maiden NRL gig.

“I’ve done a fair apprenticeship,” Pay grinned.

“It certainly helped having my time there in Dubbo. I’ve also had 10 years as an assistant, so I feel like I’m ready to do the job now. But there were times when if you had asked me five or six years ago, I would have probably said no.

“But that has now changed.”

Much of Pay’s confidence comes from his two-year stint with Dubbo CYMS in 2007 and 2008.

It was a lifestyle which allowed Pay to devote time to his family’s passion — harness racing.

He drove horses around Dubbo and the wider region, while he steered Esron Rooster to seven wins — including a triumph at Sydney’s Harold Park.

Coaching commitments Pay no longer drives due to his coaching commitments, but he keeps a close eye on the trotters through his family.

“My brother has still got horses and it’s more of a hobby for them,” he said.

“I’ve still got an interest there, especially when you are winning which doesn’t come around that often.

“It is just part of who we are and what we do as a family.”

Dubbo CYMS president Kevin Walkom has fond memories of Pay’s time at the club, especially the team’s weekly ritual of watching their coach strut his skills on the harness racing track.

Walkom credits the current Bulldogs mentor for creating a ‘family’ culture at the CYMS club from top to bottom.

The new coach is coming back to his spiritual home. Photo: Kym Smith

“Dean was very good at building bonds,” Walkom said. “He’d regularly put on a big BBQ and bonfire night for all three grades.

“He really enforced that we might have three teams, but we are a club and he made sure everyone knew each other.

“Dean also involved his family to attend games and club social functions. He led by example and he was very good at bringing people together.

“Dean was very consistent in his life, whether it was his football, horses or his business and that rubbed off on people.”

Walkom says Pay’s unassuming personality is a reflection of his uncompromising and honest style as a player. The former Test and Origin star never said much, but when he spoke people listened.

Like the time Forbes comprehensively smashed CYMS in 2007, prompting a worried Walkom to phone Pay fearing for the team’s finals hopes.

“I remember calling Dean on my way home saying, ‘oh mate, what are we going to do?,” Walkom recalls.

“He just said, ‘don’t worry about it — we will win the premiership’.

“I was like yeah sure, but he said ‘don’t worry, it’s just a little hiccup’.

“That was Dean’s approach and he was very relaxed. At halftime he’d go in and say, ‘What do you think about the half fellas?

“Some coaches will go in and rant and rave, but he never raised his voice.

“When he spoke he just commanded a level of respect. You could see it in the players in the sheds, they’d just switch on.

“That’s just Dean’s personality. He is all actions and it has obviously assisted him to talk to senior NRL players.”

Pay says juggling the demands of bush footy helped prepare him for the big time.

“It has definitely helped me develop my people skills,” he said.

“It is a totally different environment out there. They may be bush footballers, but they are very passionate about their footy.

“And they all work and sometimes they can’t get to training, so your people skills have to be really good to keep everyone happy."

Pay will now look to use tips from Dubbo CYMS’ culture to reinstate the famous family values at Canterbury.

“It’s the people that are in the place,” said Pay, who played 108 games for the Bulldogs and won a premiership in 1995.

“It’s the same at Canterbury. We have good people that care about the club and want to see it do well and it’s no different in Dubbo. I think you can have any sort of footy club in any part of the country, but if you’ve got people that care about the club and put it first you are heading in the right direction.

“Every step of the way, whether you coach out in the bush or you are an assistant coach to an NRL team, it’s all important

“It’s all about learning and making sure that you keep going forward and progressing.”

No doubt Walkom will be watching on, hoping Pay can lead Canterbury to the same premiership success he delivered at Dubbo CYMS.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Everyone who talks about Dean Pay seems to love the bloke.
Gotta say he impressed me with my little grandsons at the training day. He stopped, signed their jumpers, talked to them about footy and then moved onto the next group of kids as though it was something he liked doing. Couldn't get Des to even acknowledge the fans when he was there.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta say he impressed me with my little grandsons at the training day. He stopped, signed their jumpers, talked to them about footy and then moved onto the next group of kids as though it was something he liked doing. Couldn't get Des to even acknowledge the fans when he was there.
Awesome to hear. Nothing worse than obnoxious pricks like Hasler.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Story sounds generic, mostly all first grade nrl coaches have long apprenticeships lol globally or just nationally.
Just fucken start the season and win the fucken games, I can’t be fucked with stories or sympathising glorifying sob stories, had raelene castle and she done my head in with the talk no action.
Win the premiership next season and I won’t complain until 2019.
But seriously these stories mean nothing lol, oh poor dean Pay did an apprenticeship his loved a hard life time to support him on an emotional level, get me the fucken wins!
We could employ a identified Apache attack helicopter as a coach and if it wins us games I’ll prefer that identified creature and lgbtqi fanatics over a worded story.

So too conclude, win the premiership.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Story sounds generic, mostly all first grade nrl coaches have long apprenticeships lol globally or just nationally.
Just fucken start the season and win the fucken games, I can’t be fucked with stories or sympathising glorifying sob stories, had raelene castle and she done my head in with the talk no action.
But seriously these stories mean nothing lol, oh poor dean Pay did an apprenticeship his loved a hard life time to support him on an emotional level, get me the fucken wins!
We could employ a identified Apache attack helicopter as a coach and if it wins us games I’ll prefer that identified creature and lgbtqi fanatics over a worded story.

Yeah agree
Nett result is premiership
Last time we won I was 24 single and boozing ,tapping every weekend

Now I am a family man

Dayum it’s been a while

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah agree
Nett result is premiership
Last time we won I was 24 single and boozing ,tapping every weekend

Now I am a family man

Dayum it’s been a while
I was 13 lol thanks for reminding me how old I am now :grinning:

But yeah legit as if people are still bothered with stories lol ffs they all get emotional and love the guy and then results are shit and everyone wants him dead. That’s why let’s fall in love with facts and results, not synpathisising articles lol

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Many feel good stroies for Pay.. but he has a job and a half to do to get this team contending for the premiership..

No recognised halfback, outside the 17 our depth is ???

Over to you Pay and coaching staff

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hes bringing back what we used to be ,train hard as fuck and be the fittest team and make it an enjoyable supportive club to play at which is condusive to players wanting to play for us as well as playing well

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score

i voted funny on this because everything you said is a fucking joke

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
25 years ago my dad's mate who knew Pay thru the Dubbo trots, took me and his sons to Sydney. We had breakfast at Pays house on game day, travelled to Belmore with him and after the game Dean took us into the dressing sheds and introduced us to all the players. Lamb, Polly, McCracken, Dymock the lot. Still to this day one of my best childhood memories of all time.
All the best Deano.,good karma coming your way. Go dubbo.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay is just being himself. Authentic is good. Results will mean a lot but just playing like a football team with something to play for will be a great start. I reckon the players will play their guts out for him out of respect, not fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.