The Real Ashes Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was taken from Baggygreen.com during the coverage of the cricket today. Not sure if it was televised, but it makes an interesting read.

3.30pm This is what Richard Branson had to say at the press conference: "Ian and I were talking the other night as two Englishmen. It seems wrong the Ashes are going back to UK. Australia should be proud to keep them. Go right back to 1882 when the cricket bails were burnt. Then the Australians took the Ashes back to Australia, and felt proud to have done so. We'd like to start a campaign to keep the Ashes in the country where they have won."

Ian Botham added: "It's nothing new this conversation. Why should the Ashes stay in England? It's ridiculous. Think of the fun it would have been in 1986-87, totally written off, but taking those Ashes back home on the plane. We've seen what Ashes fever can do, how Australia have responded to losing them. Australia deserve them. In this day and age it's not too fragile to travel."

Allan Border expressed his views, too: "I support everything they've said. You have to travel to Lord's to see the real MacCoy. It would be something special to hand the Ashes to the winning captain. We've all held an Ashes replica, but nothing beats the real thing. It's the biggest trophy in the game."

Branson again: "I honestly feel uncomfortable flying them back. We've been proud to fly them Down Under. I just spoke with John Howard, and as far as he's concerned, he's willing to put up money."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ashes should be taken to the country that wins the series. Adds more passion to the contest.

M

MikeyP..

The Ashes should be taken to the country that wins the series. Adds more passion to the contest.
yer i agree...what the point of the ashes tests when there is nuffing to play for...i say give it to the winning team!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.