The Quick Tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Question,

Over the 28 years of rugby league in my life, both on and off the field. The quick tap option is becoming a joke in the NRL. Not because of the actual option but because the refs keep calling them back.

Can someone please explain to me when a player is allowed to take a quick tap and why does the ref sometimes call them back? It becomes very frustrating for the players (as you can see on their face) and also the viewer.

Thank you.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Referees have the biggest impact when it comes to the quick tap.

They decide how quick they want to get back in their position, determining if the ball carrier can take a quick tap or not.

Worst rule in any sport I've ever seen, the NRL has become a tragic comedy.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's a joke because 90% of the time the reason/excuse the ref uses for not allowing it is "im not ready" or "I havnt given the mark", when he is already on the mark.

So the ref is controlling the pace of the game which is BS. The ref should be ready when the player is ready.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Good thread.

I've often thought the same - either allow it or not.... but it seems a lot of times refs call it back for no real reason other than they aren't ready. Surely having 2 refs should make this redundant?

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I was wondering about this, its usually the ref letting the other team get back on side (loosing the attacking advantage from a penalty which is so wrong) or that its not where the mark is, I believe you should be able to come off the mark if you don't kick for touch by at most 10 meters (like touchy footy) and have a quick tap/play.

Sometimes I feel refs do it on purpose, it always happens against us for some reason >:(

On a side note, do any players/coaches still think of using the kick for touch from a 20m restart rule?

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Benji Marshall got a quick tap and ran the field, scoring under the posts.

The ref wasn't even ready as he was talking to Hayne - makes sense.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Thurston used that 20m rule tonight haha

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nrl is more of a refs game then players game. It's obvious refs are the playmakers not the players them selves. No wonder afl is going huge cause the refs are barely seen only when there is a clear penalty! Joke

jo7resh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea benji used it because the ref gave the mark while the other ref was talking to hayne
the refs haven't done it since then because I bet the league doesn't want soft tries like that

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good thread.

I've often thought the same - either allow it or not.... but it seems a lot of times refs call it back for no real reason other than they aren't ready. Surely having 2 refs should make this redundant?
Exactly what I was thinking, why have two refs? They can't even get the Quick Tap correct.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
After watching the 1995 gf the other night, I was wondering whatever happened to the tap ahead play?

Probably one of the best 90s play

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything from the rule book about the Quick tap? I'm still confused and I guess so are the players.

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 20 metre restart may be taken quickly as
long as the ball has been passed (by any
traditional RL pass) or run to the mark when:
a) The referee has signalled for play to
recommence.
b) The kick is taken on the centre of the
20m line.
c) All players from the team taking the
restart are onside.
Note: The referee does not need to have a
defensive line set for play to restart.
Note: The ball must not be kicked by a
teammate to the 20m mark to facilitate a
“quick tap”.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A 20 metre restart may be taken quickly as
long as the ball has been passed (by any
traditional RL pass) or run to the mark when:
a) The referee has signalled for play to
recommence.
b) The kick is taken on the centre of the
20m line.
c) All players from the team taking the
restart are onside.
Note: The referee does not need to have a
defensive line set for play to restart.
Note: The ball must not be kicked by a
teammate to the 20m mark to facilitate a
“quick tap”.
There we go, I believe since the NRL has now taken touch football Australia under its wing some rules from touch footy that young kids learn before playing rugby league should be taken aboard. I know that when I started playing footy it was touch footy that taught me the basic understanding of the game and how to attack. The NRL should next take oztag under its wing aswell since it's rules are even closer to leagues.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The words "traditional RL pass" are interesting - does tha tmean they can't handball AFL style or do a gridiron pverhead pass?

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both ref's weren't in position on Sunday yet Newcastle got a quick tap and stormed up field. I think they even got a penalty on the 4th for us being offside..

Pink Pikachu

~Kayley~
Reaction score
Most of the times i've seen them called back is when some lazy ass player on their side is still wandering back daydreaming and still in-front of the 20m line.

Or when the player taking the tap just runs back to a random spot on the 20m line and doesn't realise there's a mark to take it from.

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
Storm/Newcastle, ref stops Waqa from QT'ing and yelled out "2 passes! 2 passes!" to justify it. Waqa heard shouting "What!! What!!", and rightly so.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Question,

Over the 28 years of rugby league in my life, both on and off the field. The quick tap option is becoming a joke in the NRL. Not because of the actual option but because the refs keep calling them back.

Can someone please explain to me when a player is allowed to take a quick tap and why does the ref sometimes call them back? It becomes very frustrating for the players (as you can see on their face) and also the viewer.

Thank you.

Personally I think the quick tap has been more of a joke off the field. I did it in a nightclub the other day and people couldn't stop laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.