The NRL to become 2nd rate by 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastabation

Reaction score
With the amount of money Murdoch is prepared to pump into super 12 rugby, and the fact that the NRL is still living in a world of salary caps - the nrl will become 2nd rate in years to come with the ARU and super 12 taking over. Murdock was prepared put money behind Rugby League in 1997 but thanks to the 'traditionalists', poor clubs and the 'bring back souths brigade' since that time has meant that the NRL and more specifically the ARL has effectively shot itself in the foot for the long term. What we have now is a competition rewarding poor to mediocore clubs trying to rival a sport which is becoming more and more professional and more exciting with every season. We are supporting a comp in which half the players running around don't belong at that level where as the ARU has backed only the countries most elite.

Unless there is some drastic changes the wallabies/super 12s and even the all blacks will be full of former league stars with only a handful of players staying loyal to league. The NRL administration is too stupid to do anything about this, the only answer being to boast the cap significantly or scrap it completely. Won't happen though - we wouldn't want to upset the souths and newcastles of society. We may as well all plummet to that level.

Last edited:

coastaldog

COACH
Reaction score
if we do banquish the salary cap there will be about 5 good teams and every other team will be full of rejects,,,

i think that the salary cap is a credit to clubs,coaches and players.if you win the comp then you win it fair and there are no excusses...
imagine the roosters if there were no salery cap...
they would buy everyone whos anyone then blame the nrl if they lose a game..

maybe increase the cap by a 100.000 or so for 10 tear veterans.
100.000 for 5 year veterans.
and 100.000 for junior developement...

Anastabation

Reaction score
coastaldog said:
if we do banquish the salary cap there will be about 5 good teams and every other team will be full of rejects,,,

i think that the salary cap is a credit to clubs,coaches and players.if you win the comp then you win it fair and there are no excusses...
imagine the roosters if there were no salery cap...
they would buy everyone whos anyone then blame the nrl if they lose a game..

maybe increase the cap by a 100.000 or so for 10 tear veterans.
100.000 for 5 year veterans.
and 100.000 for junior developement...
I'd rather an unbalanced comp then low standard yet even comp.

coastaldog

COACH
Reaction score
anastabation said:
I'd rather an unbalanced comp then low standard yet even comp.

an unbalanced comp wont last and the nrl wont allow it.
if it went that way after 5 years there will be 5 teams left..
then every one will go to union.

2004 Premiers

i think the nrl should do what they do in soccer overseas sell the clubs to rich investors.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Bulldogs2004 said:
i think the nrl should do what they do in soccer overseas sell the clubs to rich investors.

they wont want to do that either cause they will lose out on too much money through poker machines n stuff and selling their so called respective clubs would mean they are going to lose a lot of profit

2004 Premiers

soon clubs wont be able to survive on poker machine money because of the new tax system.

T

thebrow

anastabation said:
We are supporting a comp in which half the players running around don't belong at that level where as the ARU has backed only the countries most elite.

The best players the ARU have wouldn't make it to first grade in NRL. We have the best game in the world to watch and the one of the most skilled games in the world to watch. We won't be going no where.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I predict Australia to go through the same recessions as Argentina if the Government dont stop getting greedy

½

friend of stevie j
Reaction score
sounds like ab is trying to justify the evil and greedy decision of the sydney bulldogs to join superleague

Roozy

princess
Reaction score
From a players perspective they would sux and be totally inconvenient.

2004 Premiers

u have a point there but this method does create a more even comp.

Anastabation

Reaction score
thebrow said:
The best players the ARU have wouldn't make it to first grade in NRL. We have the best game in the world to watch and the one of the most skilled games in the world to watch. We won't be going no where.
Right now, yes. But money talks... did you miss the entire essense of my original post? And do you honestly think that the likes of gregan, Rathbone, Larkham and the like aren't better than the michael Mognahan's, preston campbells and chris walkers of society? If you don't then the best players in the ARU could, and would definitely prosper in the NRL.

coastaldog said:
an unbalanced comp wont last and the nrl wont allow it.
if it went that way after 5 years there will be 5 teams left..
then every one will go to union.
Teams will be forced to merge or they will fold. Its unfortunate and its not wished upon but in todays sporting world its survival of the fittest.

Greek Dog

Hijack your sh!t
Reaction score
also now with the new A league of soccer getting set up, league will be having more competition from a new code, with a new league which actually looks like working. Soccer is a sleeping giant and currently dwarfs all the other three codes with player registrations. Something needs to be done now to ensurethat league does survive

Dog-E

Purebreed
Reaction score
I dont think the RLPA would stand for the idea of a draft...its already been legally challenged & found as a 'restraint of trade' in court previously...so it'd only take ONE high profile player or team to complain...and it'd be straight out the window again...All that time & money - better invested in other areas & ideas around improving Rugby League....wasted!

Status
Not open for further replies.