News The NRL is officially broken and everyone knows why

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL fans thought the tide had changed with two games on Friday being decided by one point but the carnage resumed as a series of blowouts brought the league’s controversial rule changes into even sharper focus.

Manly thumped the Bulldogs 66-0, Gold Coast belted Canberra 44-6 and Newcastle ran riot against the Cowboys in a 38-0 hammering on Saturday, resulting in a 148-6 bloodbath across all three matches.

The last time a single day of NRL action had such a huge gap between the winners and losers was in 2003.

That’s in addition to Melbourne pumping the Roosters 46-0 on Thursday.

New rules introduced in 2020 and 2021 designed to speed the game up have certainly led to a frenetic pace — but they’ve been blamed for exacerbating the gulf between the best and worst teams in the competition.

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V’landys was credited with saving the game last year during the pandemic but the blowtorch is being put on him for ushering through rule changes some believe have rendered rugby league unwatchable.

Set restarts for ruck infringements also now apply to players pinged for being offside, rather than resulting in the usual penalty, while scrums were replaced with play-the-balls whenever the ball goes over the sideline.

It means there are fewer stoppages, giving weaker teams fewer opportunities to catch their breath and reset their defensive structures, resulting in more points being scored.

V’landys has refused to accept blame for the increase in blowouts this season, saying the onus is on poor teams to manage their rosters better to become more competitive.

But not everyone sees it like that. NRL legend Johnathan Thurston believes the rule changes are directly linked to the massive winning margins we’re seeing.

“Teams are getting exposed. That’s what the rule changes were designed to do — score more points — but with that, we’re seeing a lot of blowout scores so it’s a worrying trend for the NRL,” Thurston said on Sunday.

“It’s not good for the fans going out there paying their hard-earned cash and seeing their teams get absolutely hammered each and every week.

“I don’t know how to stop this trend. That’s what happens when the NRL makes changes to the rules and this is a consequence of it.”

Even players are upset with what’s happening. Melbourne and Queensland prop Christian Welch provided an insight into why the increased speed is causing more blowouts, revealing he’s no fan of how the rule changes have transformed the game.

“It’s just so hard to stay in games mate, you just can’t stop the momentum you are that cooked. Teams just go end to end,” he tweeted on Sunday.

“It’s just a different game now mate. There’s just no more tension/pressure/field position. The grind has been completely eliminated which I reckon sucks.

“Bit depressing isn’t it … grind/pressure/field position battle have all evaporated.”

Plenty of punters have voiced their frustrations too. It was only a couple of weeks ago fans were blowing up after a series of one-sided games and it was a case of deja vu on Saturday.

Issac McIntrye tweeted: “Something very wrong with the new #NRL rules when every game seems to knock down another club record for biggest win, largest margins, biggest head-to-head, etc. Fri games were riveting. Thurs & Sat games been background noise.

“Not so super Saturday that, interested to see how many neutrals would have flicked off early.”

Former Queensland cricketer Luke Feldman wrote: “These blowouts are terrible @NRL @FOXNRL this needs to be fixed and fast!”

Ex-NRL player Cameron King said: “NRL is the best & toughest game in the world. There is no way a game should end 66-0 that’s not what the fans want. That’s my opinion.”

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I think speeding up the game was a good thing. Remember how boring games were? Please don’t forget this when discussing the topic. 5 years ago we were saying boring structured play is killing the game.

Now it seems evident that it’s gone too far the other way.
There was 3 rule changes
I think the scrum elimination makes sense and is logical. Scrums don’t make sense in League. They do in Union but not League.
Keep this rule.

Then that leads to ruck infringement six agains and offside six agains.
Now i think in my opinion this is where it comes undone a bit Uleh.
I see it as we can have one but not two.
Offside set restarts do make sense to me. And I think they are speeding the game up but having less of a dramatic impact as ruck infringements.
So that leaves the ruck infringement to be the rollback for me.
Fans want to know what went wrong.
So if we keep the lesser 2 and get rid of this one, it’ll slow down by fifty percent and teams will eventually adapt their rosters
Roster adaption to sudden rule changes has been the biggest reason for this. It should have been given at least a year in advance.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Even players are upset with what’s happening. Melbourne and Queensland prop Christian Welch provided an insight into why the increased speed is causing more blowouts, revealing he’s no fan of how the rule changes have transformed the game.

“It’s just so hard to stay in games mate, you just can’t stop the momentum you are that cooked. Teams just go end to end,” he tweeted on Sunday.

“It’s just a different game now mate. There’s just no more tension/pressure/field position. The grind has been completely eliminated which I reckon sucks.

“Bit depressing isn’t it … grind/pressure/field position battle have all evaporated.”
Pfffffffftttttttttt WTF would Welch know, he's only a footballer. V'landys clearly knows better than everyone else and it's a simple case of roster management.

Mike Z

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Found this online
Petition against VLANDYS
Sign and share it
Let your voices be heard

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Very well written article I must say, who wrote it? Obviously not a News limited journo because it makes sense, unlike Nasweeds stupid response!

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Found this online
Petition against VLANDYS
Sign and share it
Let your voices be heard
Yeah but how do you sign it? I tried but there is no spot to sign.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I think speeding up the game was a good thing. Remember how boring games were? Please don’t forget this when discussing the topic. 5 years ago we were saying boring structured play is killing the game.

There was 3 rule changes
I think the scrum elimination makes sense and is logical. Scrums don’t make sense in League. They do in Union but not League.
Keep this rule.

Offside set restarts do make sense to me. And I think they are speeding the game up but having less of a dramatic impact as ruck infringements.
So if we keep the lesser 2 and get rid of this one, it’ll slow down by fifty percent and teams will eventually adapt their rosters
Roster adaption to sudden rule changes has been the biggest reason for this. It should have been given at least a year in advance.
Please site your sources of people complaining 5 years ago that WE were saying boring structured play is killing the game??? Otherwise you are just making up bullshit to justify your bullshit post!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
V'Landys ego is out of control. To anyone who watched the Matt John's interview with him on Face to face he was asked this exact question. "If these rules turn out to be wrong, what will you do?" His answer, "you have to admit it and change them back". Yet here we are with him in full denial.

Every man and his dog is saying he's fuked it yet here he is refusing to admit it. Watch thm chase their tails at the end of the year by making more rule changes to try and combat these ones. He will do this instead of just admitting the fuk up! Bloke is a fukwit!

Mike Z

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Found this online
Petition against VLANDYS

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The set restarts highlight referee prejudice. We started pretty well & were actually threatening their line when the ref just pulled a massive string of 6 again's against us and the game is over. This rule needs to be reverted immediately. Then we need to look at the fucking bunker. A brain dead imbecile can see that the bunker should be a panel of 3 and that panel of 3 is in place for the entire weekend of football. I don't want a commentary from the fuckwits i want to look at 3 lights and see what majority decision comes up & the ***** arent allowed to confer but each make their own separate independent decision & the decision has to be within 20 seconds of the the referal by the ref. Any inconsistencies will at least be uniform across the league over the course of a single round. Rule changes during the season also need a month's notice not a bullshit memorandum during the week that has the fans in uproar like the head high bullshit that came in this season. Rant over. Peace out.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The set restarts highlight referee prejudice. We started pretty well & were actually threatening their line when the ref just pulled a massive string of 6 again's against us and the game is over. This rule needs to be reverted immediately. Then we need to look at the fucking bunker. A brain dead imbecile can see that the bunker should be a panel of 3 and that panel of 3 is in place for the entire weekend of football. I don't want a commentary from the fuckwits i want to look at 3 lights and see what majority decision comes up & the ***** arent allowed to confer but each make their own separate independent decision & the decision has to be within 20 seconds of the the referal by the ref. Any inconsistencies will at least be uniform across the league over the course of a single round. Rule changes during the season also need a month's notice not a bullshit memorandum during the week that has the fans in uproar like the head high bullshit that came in this season. Rant over. Peace out.
We were always going to lose on Saturday.
But your comment is also perfect for the 1st game of year against Newcastle. We were going to win that game until the referee decided to rule a string of six again calls against us.
In no sport in the world does the referee have such a big say in who wins the game.

Last edited:

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
V'Landys ego is out of control. To anyone who watched the Matt John's interview with him on Face to face he was asked this exact question. "If these rules turn out to be wrong, what will you do?" His answer, "you have to admit it and change them back". Yet here we are with him in full denial.

Every man and his dog is saying he's fuked it yet here he is refusing to admit it. Watch thm chase their tails at the end of the year by making more rule changes to try and combat these ones. He will do this instead of just admitting the fuk up! Bloke is a fukwit!
I used to work for one of the big 4 banks. Several years ago we had a VERY senior manager come to Canberra to tell us we were going to be a test site for a new structure. He told us it WOULD work whether we liked it or not. It failed miserably & we lost a huge amount of customers, but they didn't care because it saved money & working 13 hours a day, 6 sometimes 7 days a week takes it's toll I can assure you. (And there wasn't time for time off for lunch you ate it at your desk).

V'Landys reminds me of that guy.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like vladys but he needs to put his ego aside on this one and admit hes gone too far

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Agree but how to make it better, he is not going to admit any fault. My thoughts are maken 6 agains only apply in attacking 20 and to bringnback scrums. That would make things a lot better without Vlandys completly loosing face.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

There was 3 rule changes
Keep this rule.

You got no idea what rugby league is go watch games from the eighties and ninetys thats rugby league not the crap dished up now

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You got no idea what rugby league is go watch games from the eighties and ninetys thats rugby league not the crap dished up now
Agree but how to make it better, he is not going to admit any fault. My thoughts are maken 6 agains only apply in attacking 20 and to bringnback scrums. That would make things a lot better without Vlandys completly loosing face.
Re implement 80s rules there i fixed rugby league