The NRL changes made to introduce fatigue and/or speed up the game

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My view is that what we have now is a fundamental change to the game itself. The way the game is played is very different and it requires not just the current players to adapt to that. It requires "different" players, based on far more concentration on aerobic fitness, the ability to run marathons at a fast pace. Whereas it used to be about strength, power and durability, the fitness to absorb a hit and get back up and do it again, run a multitude of 30 metres dashes based on a quick recovery in between.

This will change the type of player that develops through the ranks physically, they will inevitably be lighter, more nimble, with their development from juniors upwards concentrating on endurance training, more like an AFL player (up to 20 kilometres in a game) than an NRL player (up to 10 kilometres in a game and rising) as we know it. The problem with that will inevitably be more injuries, particularly legs (knees and ankles) and arms (elbows and shoulders), players simply won't be able to carry the protective muscle to shield them from the impacts. Their bodies overall will in fact be weaker in outright strength terms.

I see it as basically the end of the traditional NRL prop forward, they will develop more like 2nd rowers, lighter, taller, more nimble and able to run half marathons every game. Merrin nailed it in his retirement declaration, I can see the end of players in the mould of JWH, AFB, Ogden, Taupau et. Right now we are in exploratory times, teams, particularly coaches, are searching their rosters for players that suite the way the game is developing. In a few years the average NRL player will look very different, they will be selected and have training that will push them physically in a different direction.

Personally I don't like it, it's getting too far, far too far, away from the game that I grew up with.

Go Dogs
Good post. Hard to disagree with your thoughts.

What I might add is that the changes to the game have been made by people in NRL admin, the big majority of them have not played the game at a high level.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree with pretty much every point that has been raised. The game is too fast and despite what commentators are saying the speed of the game is more than a little bit responsible for the rise in injuries as the collisions are harder.

To me the biggest problem is the ARL commission needs to be restructured. How many on that commission have played or been involved in the game at this level? Just one. Wayne Pearce. The rest are business people. Thus the ARLC is badly balanced. I have been on committees particularly in my golf club where they lurch from one disaster to another because they don't have someone with expertise in a key area.

I would make three changes.
1) A former referee particularly one who has gone on to become boss of the referees. Best option Greg McCallum who has experience in both hemispheres.
2) A former coach who has had success at this level. Not the agenda driven Gus Gould. Best option Tim Sheens.
3) A former club CEO who understands how clubs think and the machinations of the salary cap. Not a lot of good options there. Maybe Peter Doust.

This will leave room for about 4 business people but they will have people there with more understanding of the game and identify loopholes before they become loopholes.

At the moment I suspect Wayne Pearce is a lone wolf amongst people with limited football smarts.
Get John Quayle back in there. The games was at it's best with him & Arko. I know he is about 74 but his knowledge & experience would be perfect.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You mean make it a normal penalty like it used to be where you get a choice and everyone gets a chance to see or scrutinise what the penalty was for? I agree with you, there was nothing wrong with that..

It's worked for 100 years and Vlandy's rides in on his horse with no Rugby League knowledge and changes the dynamic of the sport within one fell swoop. It's crazy that they've done this and there isn't more opposition to it.

The vast majority of fans and even players hate it, yet the media pretend like nothing is wrong with 18 point average margins in games and the top 4 teams being so dominant..
It's like most things in this world now. The media write the narrative & we are all expected to follow their selfish lead. The media are a big reason why there is such mess in this world.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
All these blowouts, especially from Broncos games are not healthy for the game.
It's now like under 20s but for men lol... I was so bored watching the Eels game last night, even the Rabbits one with their 6 again piggy backs they seem to always get when they need them.