Opinion The NRL are all talk when it comes to protecting the head

Are the NRL serious about protecting the head or is it all for show?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So the NRL have charged Papalii with a grade 3 CARELESS high tackle:

This has a base penalty of 300 points. Firstly, it was a shoulder charge which carries a base penalty of 500 points. Secondly how can it be said it was careless? At the very least it was reckless, but for mine it was intentional.

Any intentional high tackle goes straight to the judiciary.

So if they were REALLY serious about protecting the head, surely they would have 1) increased the penalties & 2) charged Papalii appropriately.

Whilst we are on this weeks judiciary charges, Wighton was lucky to get a grade 2 for his cannon ball & Josh Hodgson was VERY lucky to only get a grade 2 chicken wing. It was a bad one.

And why wasn't Elliott Whitehead charged for kicking Cotric's arm when Cotric was scoring? He could have broken his arm!

I wonder sometimes if they see 3 Raiders charged & say that's enough, any more & Ricky will go off

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
So the NRL have charged Papalii with a grade 3 CARELESS high tackle:

This has a base penalty of 300 points. Firstly, it was a shoulder charge which carries a base penalty of 500 points. Secondly how can it be said it was careless? At the very least it was reckless, but for mine it was intentional.

Any intentional high tackle goes straight to the judiciary.

So if they were REALLY serious about protecting the head, surely they would have 1) increased the penalties & 2) charged Papalii appropriately.

Whilst we are on this weeks judiciary charges, Wighton was lucky to get a grade 2 for his cannon ball & Josh Hodgson was VERY lucky to only get a grade 2 chicken wing. It was a bad one.

And why wasn't Elliott Whitehead charged for kicking Cotric's arm when Cotric was scoring? He could have broken his arm!

I wonder sometimes if they see 3 Raiders charged & say that's enough, any more & Ricky will go off
U know we only got 3 penalties for the game - and tbh - thought Hodgsons chicken wing was a textbook case were as wighton's wa scaused partially by the position of the guys upstairs in the tackle.

Going to post another thread as to how I think the NRL have f'kd up RL and what you've posted is part of it. Anyways have a like purely coz meeting Robbo for me as a 7 yr old was how I became a dogs supporter. Hard to argue with the guy the old man bought home from work one day to have a beer when he asked me who I supported after telling me he played for the dogs. Scary dude back then :|

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Only yes
Because of the legal implications down the road..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if they've quietly settled a potential lawsuit with someone with CTE and have decided on the spot that they don't want to spend anymore money than necessary on it down the track. So this is an attempt to show they're being responsible in advance of when current players start displaying signs of CTE. In some ways I think that clubs can be just as guilty because they used to send players back out to play if they were a key player.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
U know we only got 3 penalties for the game - and tbh - thought Hodgsons chicken wing was a textbook case were as wighton's wa scaused partially by the position of the guys upstairs in the tackle.

Going to post another thread as to how I think the NRL have f'kd up RL and what you've posted is part of it. Anyways have a like purely coz meeting Robbo for me as a 7 yr old was how I became a dogs supporter. Hard to argue with the guy the old man bought home from work one day to have a beer when he asked me who I supported after telling me he played for the dogs. Scary dude back then :|
Yep, the 3 penalties we got all game got Raiders suspended, other than that they were perfect!

Robbo was always a favourite of mine because of his fearlessness & he could ball play too. I know he got into a little trouble with the law later on, but I hope he has been a good boy since then.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Yep, the 3 penalties we got all game got Raiders suspended, other than that they were perfect!

Robbo was always a favourite of mine because of his fearlessness & he could ball play too. I know he got into a little trouble with the law later on, but I hope he has been a good boy since then.
Heard he married an english girl and was captain coaching some english park team into his 50's. Anyways, have always tried to follow in his footsteps by aleing and ciggying as much as I can.