The Need to throw the Ball to the Edges more

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
My thoughts are that the one thing the boys could of been doing more is using our edges more in attack early to give our forwards a bit of a rest other than that we are a well oiled machine , any thoughts on this?

mez

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I wouldnt of been confident with Montoya on the wing! But this year absolutely no excuse when there are some decent players in our backline now

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The only wing Lewis would be hitting with a pass would have been the planes flying overhead.

I think our lack of creativity and ball movement was as a result of poor playmakers. With averillo, flanno and burton steering the ship moving forward I’m sure we can finally set up plays that aren’t limited to 4 hit ups 10 meters out then a low cross field kick to the opposition.

If Barrett doesn’t start with Lewis in the team in round 1 I think he secures coach of the year honours :p

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
The only wing Lewis would be hitting with a pass would have been the planes flying overhead.

I think our lack of creativity and ball movement was as a result of poor playmakers. With averillo, flanno and burton steering the ship moving forward I’m sure we can finally set up plays that aren’t limited to 4 hit ups 10 meters out then a low cross field kick to the opposition.

If Barrett doesn’t start with Lewis in the team in round 1 I think he secures coach of the year honours :p
Sometimes I thought Lewis was throwing the ball out of frustration to where he wanted the players to be lol

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
Makes complete sense.

That’s why he was throwing Holland passes in the 10th row. Didn’t want him in the team:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Never thought of it that way. But totally agree with you.
Lols

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Some part of it was that our forwards had a tendency to play too close to the edges also. Just let's the defence compress when you have your outside backs in a very limited space and makes them less threatening than if they've got room to step or choose a line to run.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
How much rest do forwards need. Outside backs usually take the first few hitups anyway.

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
How much rest do forwards need. Outside backs usually take the first few hitups anyway.
3rd play set plays coming off the 30mt line I understand what your saying there if we are in our 20 , I'd just like to see the entertainers again

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
One thing I used to when playing sport was always play as if it was 0-0 on the scoreboard whether behind or Infront

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
One thing I used to when playing sport was always play as if it was 0-0 on the scoreboard whether behind or Infront
That doesn't always work out, but I can see someone like JAC getting a lot of early ball and kicks due to his speed.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This was never implemented under the previous regime, mainly due to lack of players with the capability.
Every team needs edge forwards who can hit the line at pace, similar to Kikau.
We have RFM and Thompson. That is their forte. It must be utilised.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No point I throwing to the edges of the forwards are not bending the line bringing in defence lines hence opening up space on the edges.

I still think we are one forward short unless RT and Ogden become as damaging as they are meant to be.