The need for speed

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
May recall me as the guy that has the good oil time to time.

I am watching some highlights of various games and what's dawned on me severely in the modern 2020 game is the need for speed.
I'm not talking about the speed that killed my friend Ali in Thailand, I'm taking bait fast running players.

This is where we truly lack. Speed where it matters.
Our backline had Floppa, Montoya, Lewis, Cogger Holland and Okonbor. Some of those are sensational players but none are truly fast.
Our actual speedsters, Meaney and Reimis, don't seem to have any clue on how to use it.

This is so important going forward to get it right, and it may be the biggest case to getting Charlie staines.
It looks as if the hookers that are succeeding the most have some serious acceleration and speed of ball delivery.
Fortunately, this is something JMK has, so I am not truly worried about his ass If we cannot recruit a number 9.

What I am worried about is our backline speed. Cotric is a start and his speed is what I'd want from a centre. DWZ speed is overrated, but I guess he's sufficient for argument purposes.

I'm really worried that we are going to lack an extra set of legs out there when it gets real.

Could we have pulled off the try that Holmes started for that winger against the bulldogs late in the game?
That's what the game is becoming. Attrition and pure speed based.

It's so important we find a way to get rid of Hoppa. I think the best thing is to go a centre combo with DWZ/Cotric and Schoupp and get a new winger as a Hoppa swap.
Hoppa for JAC is my dream scenario that's realistic.

1. Meaney/staines
2. Okenbor
3. DWZ
4 Cotric.
5. JAC
6. Averillo
7 green

It may not be the greatest backline but perhaps the backline we need to field

Only the number 7 can get away with turtle behaviour.

We can turn this but there's some critical backline decisions ahead I think.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Need for lurking .!!!

we need 1 or 2 xfactor signings, and that should do it with whoever else Tbaz has in store.!!

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We do have a few options next year. Smith surely needs a wing spot (id have him over Zelezniak just for his leaping ability out wide). Sad the regression of DWZ, unbelievable its the guy that was getting contract upgrades after a dozen games last year.

Cotric gets a centre spot with Hoppa. Any coach that sees otherwise would be worrying. If cotric wants a crack at fullback (not sure if he will succeed) he needs the offseason to get condition and he probably needs to lose 5kg.

We have some decent wingers in Smith, Okunbor, Zelezniak. Id give DWZ a start but id be more then happy to give Okunbor a spot for his size out wide (even though it comes at the cost of speed and agility), Zelezniak is a liability at the moment.

Fullback is the biggest glaring shortfall we have. Hoppa lacks speed, meaney lacks experience and class, Cotric only has a handful of NRL games there. If we bring in a new player it could be our saving grace, otherwise youd have to put meneay there and hope he picks up some experience and skill by spending time there. Cant believe he was dropped for Hoppa after having half a dozen decent games at the back, then gets dropped entirely from first grade.

Averillo could be a roll of the dice, good running game, and would do well with his vision, passing and short kicking game, his speed would be handy too. But not sure when the last time he played fullback was. And this would have been the perfect year to give him a shot, without the pressure of winning. You cant expect to throw him in the back round 1 and for him to have a flawless season, which again is the reason I question why we played Hoppa so much back there instead of getting time into Meaney or Averillo.

Doubt barrett can afford to give us another season of a handful of wins. If we end lower then 12th next year it will be hard for him to see out his contract. Which again means hed rather a safe option at fullback instead of throwing inexperienced players there.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Sign JAC and play him like we did with the wife bashing coke head.