News The Mole: Willie Mason counsels Tevita Pangai Junior after ugly trial meltdown

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Willie Mason has taken new Bulldogs bad boy Tevita Pangai Junior under his wing this season - and believes the Tongan international can turn Canterbury's pack into one of the most feared in the NRL.

The former Broncos and Panthers forward copped plenty of flak for an ill-disciplined performance in the Bulldogs' final trial against the Sharks last Monday week. But Mason, recently appointed to the Bulldogs' staff and very much from league's 'old school', took a different view of the big forward's performance.

"He might have gone a little over the top but we can fix that and I've been talking to him about his game," Mason told Wide World of Sports.

"He excites me - he runs hard and straight and opposition forwards don't like playing against him.

"I'm just trying to simplify his game. He doesn't have to push the pass or throw flick passes or anything like that.

"The guy's got speed, he's got footwork. If you are trying to tackle him you would be petrified.

"He is a five-eighth in a torpedo body. If we get 20 good games out of him, we will be laughing.

"He needs to be a leader in our pack and lead by example and I think he is capable of doing that."

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sounds like Willie would make a better coach than that dud Barrett.
We need someone who can get the very best out of players, identify their weakness, tweak their game .
Willie is in a great position, he can talk personally like this to the players. The Head coach really shouldn't be, the best head coaches are rarely a good friend to the players. Baz will probably do better if he steps it up on the authority and leaves guys like Willie to do the person on person stuff.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tpj will be sweet. We have honestly lost our identity since kasiano, Pritchard, graham and Klemmer have left. I agree with willie. Tpj ain’t soft . He just needs to be smarter and not give away too many penalties.

Go the doggies

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We've signed some decent players but some will need a strong team to get the best out of them. I'm not sure this coaching group can do that but time will tell.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
TPJ needs to stop trying to prove he is a hard clunt!
If he just ran & tackled hard that would more than prove what & who he is, leaving no need for the school yard shi-at that has plagued his time in the NRL(excluding penny time)..

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
TPJ will come good. He will also fire the pack up. He just needs to play tighter and run hard. The second phase will come. TPJ is a talent but he needs to be coached. Hopefully Willie gets the best out of him. Its just good to have a tough nut on the team, we have been soft for too long.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Willie is in a great position, he can talk personally like this to the players. The Head coach really shouldn't be, the best head coaches are rarely a good friend to the players. Baz will probably do better if he steps it up on the authority and leaves guys like Willie to do the person on person stuff.
Im thinking your right and this is the benefit of Gus and WIllie around the place they need to be utilised early and TPJ could come out and play his best performance with this type of attention. I think he needs this attention and WM is the right guy, to talk him up. I think ???

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mason should just be at training on occasion to build morale and confidence, but I hope he isn't giving technical advice.
Think morale and confidence is a lot with this side. Quite a few in the coaching entourage hanging at Belmore.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Mason should just be at training on occasion to build morale and confidence, but I hope he isn't giving technical advice.
Mason is a pathways transition coach so he's working across the grades at the club an not exclusively with the NRL squad.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
TPJ tore us a new one when we played the Broncs, hope he offloads at will.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think he's going to kill it Sunday.

He likes playing Jason, and he'll want to show he can pull his head in. How long it lasts is another matter, but I think he's going to kill it for this game.