Soccer The Manchester United SUPER Thread

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Shaw has to buy De Gea a drink after the match for saving his ass with the penalty save and for the rest of the team, they all chip in and get him a carton of beer for his outstanding last ditch saves to protect the lead

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Manchester United move up into 4th on the Premier League ladder (Arsenal still to play, may take 4th off us with a win against Chelsea)

Mixed feelings for me.. on one hand, I'm ecstatic that Manchester United even with captain Rooney suspended, injury crisis and a club in transition are back within that Top 4 but on the other hand, I'm still shattered the Bulldogs lost yet another Grand Final..

:ohwell:

jmaamary

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manchester United move up into 4th on the Premier League ladder (Arsenal still to play, may take 4th off us with a win against Chelsea)

Mixed feelings for me.. on one hand, I'm ecstatic that Manchester United even with captain Rooney suspended, injury crisis and a club in transition are back within that Top 4 but on the other hand, I'm still shattered the Bulldogs lost yet another Grand Final..

:ohwell:
Sonny il take this right now, after that nauseating Souths wa#kfest, I'm glad the boys dug deep and hung on ... Btw I take back all the unenthusiastic things about the Di Maria signing ... What a revelation he has turned out to be

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Sonny il take this right now, after that nauseating Souths wa#kfest, I'm glad the boys dug deep and hung on ... Btw I take back all the unenthusiastic things about the Di Maria signing ... What a revelation he has turned out to be
Haha, true that! Don't know what I would have done if both the Dogs and United lost.. probably dial BeyondBlue

I would also like to say I had my doubts on Angel Di Maria, didn't think LvG was going to play him in the midfield (area we needed to improve) and I didn't think he would adapt as well and quickly as he has done in the Premier League (as it's such a physical League)

What a signing he has turned out to be, notice how he plays a lot better when Mata is in that no 10 role, they have such a great understanding with each other and throw in Herrera (when he's back fit) and we've got such a potent midfield going forward with Blind playing that anchor holding the midfield together

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Every time Louis van Gaal speaks, he just gives off so much confidence to his players and the supporters, absolutely love it!

After the match against Everton, van Gaal comments "I've told my players: ‘We’re not playing well but we are already fourth in the table. So what will happen when we play well?"

And earlier in the week, he wasn't happy with a question being asked and he absolutely ripped into a journalist during a press conference, "I've already explained, but I want to improve your knowledge of football."

Ricky Stuart

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Every time Louis van Gaal speaks, he just gives off so much confidence to his players and the supporters, absolutely love it!

After the match against Everton, van Gaal comments "I've told my players: ‘We’re not playing well but we are already fourth in the table. So what will happen when we play well?"

And earlier in the week, he wasn't happy with a question being asked and he absolutely ripped into a journalist during a press conference, "I've already explained, but I want to improve your knowledge of football."
Hey Sonny do you reckon LVG has signed Dani Alves, he said that he has signed with an BPL club

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Hey Sonny do you reckon LVG has signed Dani Alves, he said that he has signed with an BPL club
Don't think Dani Alves has signed with a Premier League club, only expressed his interest in a move to the EPL next season and that this season would be his last with Barcelona

(legally players can't sign with a club while the transfer window is closed, unless you're a free agent BUT you can have some sort of handshake deal where you'll agree to sign with the club interested once your current contract expires, i.e. Lewandowski to Bayern)

Despite that, Barcelona will offer him a new contract and it's up to him to decide

In saying all that, I would only be interested in signing Alves if he becomes a rotation/depth signing, don't want Alves coming in and hindering the development of Rafael

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
just watching the replay now

di maria is a machine

blind is slowly becoming my fav player he controlling the game from cdm position

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
di maria is in the top 3 players in the league...
we'll see how well blind does when we play the better sides...big few weeks coming up...
we play west brom, then chelsea , city , palace , and arsenal...
will get a better gauge on where we r at then!
how good would it be to be the 1st team to beat chelsea this season lol...
i have no doubts LVG is just a good a manager as mourinho and will have us firing much more by then...BRING IT ON

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
We are absolutely f*cking cursed when it comes to injury, have we accidentally hired Arsenal's physio?

Paddy McNair who has been brilliant when called upon, kept Lukaku in his f*cking pocket for the game against Everton has now been ruled out for 3 weeks with a hamstring injury.. we honestly cannot get through a single game without somebody suffering a new injury

Some good news however, Evans has been allowed to remove his moon boot and Jones has returned to light training and Smalling should be nearing a return so this International break period is a blessing in disguise for us really

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Something that has really bugged me this season is how we can start off a game so strong yet drop off so badly in the second half once we make substitutions

Cannot wait to get Carrick back, he's the only player in our squad who is capable of dictating the tempo of the game, something that's desperately needed in the second half to maintain and control possession to close out a game instead of grinding a result

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
[video=youtube;uh89PxfRJtk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh89PxfRJtk&list=UUmu8eBs_Z728BNJdexMOTpQ[/video]

What a block by Blackett, didn't take his eye off the ball and was alert enough to put his body on the line and throw himself at the ball.. a goalkeepers best friend, something Vidic would be proud of

And what a f*cking save by De Gea.. sensational

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
So maybe my rant spurred De Gea onwards and upwards?

As for the Blackett block. I was surprised that there wasn't much plaudits of it. His block was just as crucial and good as De Gea's Save.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
i think we need to get vidic and rio back so they can teach blackett how to be more aggressive, other then that he is coming along nicely

what players would you buy in january?

i still think we are missing something

jmaamary

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need a rock at the back, plain and simple. When we are moving forward it is an unbelievable sight but soon as the opposition start attacking around the box, I put my hands over my face and peek through my fingers

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
In my opinion, Manchester United are probably 2-3 world class players away from seriously challenging for the title - we have an attack force capable of winning the Champions League, plain and simple, we are phenomenal going forward

We need to purchase a leader at the back, somebody already established would be great for the younger players to learn off and to ease them into the squad through cup matches and against the lower teams in the league - but we must be realistic that not many great defenders will be available during January, how many of them realistically are going to ditch the Champions League if their side is still in the competition and challenging for the title?

And I reckon we need another midfielder or two, Strootman would be an obvious choice but it all depends on how he's recovering from his ACL injury, or signing somebody like de Jong in January would be great for squad depth and experience

BUT in saying how we need to sign a world class defender, just keep in mind that when we purchased both Vidic and Evra, neither of them at the time were world class defenders and both struggled early in their careers

Gutted that Vidic is gone, he is exactly what we need at the moment, an established defender with another season or two left in him - could have used Vidic as a rotation player while teaching the trait to our younger defenders

If we do go ahead and somehow manage to sign a world class defender, how will this impact the development of Jones? He's our most promising defender and assuming that if we sign an established defender in January then Jones will have his playing time cut as a result

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Keep in mind that we don't exactly have a shortage of defenders, what's hurting us is the injury toll to our defense

Jones (injured), Evans (injured), Smalling (injured), Rojo (fit), Blackett (fit), McNair (injured), Thorpe (fit) - compare that to Arsenal who only have Mertesacker and Koscielny as recognised centrebacks with Chambers (who's a right back) on occasions filling in, so if both of their main defenders pick up injuries then they'll be in our situation

Our more experienced defenders (Jones, Evans, Smalling) all struggled with the back 3 system however they're all familiar with a traditional back 4 so once we get them back fit then we should be all right

We're reportedly snatching Southampton's lead physio to come in and help with our injury crisis, all we really need is for our defenders to get match fitness then work on finding a combination (e.g. Jones and Rojo), give the pair some game time and we could potentially see a Vidic and Rio rock solid defense

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Here's a fans perspective of Blackett's block and De Gea's sensational save

De Gea has a bunch of players in front of him so he wouldn't have seen much of the ball but his reflexes are out of this f*cking world

[video=youtube;RpQcvJSe9Rk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpQcvJSe9Rk&list=UUmu8eBs_Z728BNJdexMOTpQ[/video]