Soccer The Manchester United SUPER Thread

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He has been pretty solid barring a few shit moments over the years, but usually a 7/10. He even was voted as one of the best at the Euros. But his current run of form is the worst I've seen of any centre back in the last 5-10 years. Maybe we can recall Tuanzebe who has been decent at Villa but I cant see us doing that.
Yeah. He's been really bad. Against Leicester and Liverpool he was at fault for a good 5 goals at minimum. Last night at least the second..

Nuts how bad he is. Definitely not United standard but I guess some on here are easily pleased?

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The past 2 weeks as a United fan have been draining, todays draw feels like a loss due to the nature of the goals conceded.

As I said here last week, I think if the right manager becomes available, not just the most high profile but the one thats fits the club, then I'd support a change. I am happy the club stayed away from Conte, I talked myself into him but it just wouldve set us back. World class manager but he has only had success in recent history playing a 3-5-2 and the way he structures his midfield and attack would freeze out Greenwood and Sancho. It would also be unfeasible to implement a system that neither of our fullbacks could function within.

There isn't a manager on the market currently that is worth the job and so it looks like it will be Ole till the end of the season.

On todays game, it was pleasing to see Bailly make such a strong return, with Varane suffering a hamstring injury, that is a minimum of 3 weeks on the sidelines and I think Bailly needs to start in his place. He brings drive and intensity which we desperately lack. McTominay has continued to get incrementally better by the game but its very obvious when Matic comes on that we look much better with a defensive midfielder who is comfortable on the ball. Rashford was fairly anonymous throughout the game, Ronaldo was our best, and Greenwood played a hand in both goals.

Moving forward, I'd be looking to start Ronaldo and Cavani together, they are building a partnership, it will be McFred against City but they really need to get better at closing down the channel between fullback and centre back. If its a back three, Id go with Shaw as a left centre back and bring in Telles.
Matic came on when atalanta decided to sit deep and get everyone behind the ball, I think that's why he looked more comfortable. Mctominay was a lot better than what he has been this season.

Rashford was gash today, completely ineffectual

I'd lay more blame on Bailly for both goals.

The first goal he needlessly attempted to attack the ball and the deflected pass took it away from him and ended up being a through ball for the forward bailly left unmarked. If he held his position (we had enough midfieldets surrounding the ball) and marked their forward that doesn't break for them

The 2nd goal, yeh Maguire played him offside but Bailly had lost complete sight of his player and wasn't trying to play offside. It was very similar to Rashfords goal vs tottenham, defender switched off and lost their player

But yes other than those two aspect Bailly covered very well in a sweeper type coverage

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Wouldn't agree with that personally? Not sure if either would get into Liverpool but there are some teams who may benefit from them?
You're the one who said Ronaldo was shit when city were in for him and that Ronaldo would screw up city's play.

And now you've done a 180, this is why I get the shits and call you clown takes

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't Conte's system pretty much the same as what Ole is doing now? Would say it would've been a massive upgrade bringing him in as manager, but means squat now.

Watching that game last night I was really surprised as I thought after the Spurs game you'd find your feet. You werent great.

Maybe it was Cavanni wasn't starting who's really good at the defensive side of things? I don't know but that second half especially was terrible.

Agree about Ronaldo and Cavanni. That's your way forward and with the impressive Bruno (yet to be world class) behind you can cause havoc.

Issue is in defence tho and with two CBs out now injured and your captain playing Sunday league standard defence ...

Will be interesting
100% spot on.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You're the one who said Ronaldo was shit when city were in for him and that Ronaldo would screw up city's play.

And now you've done a 180, this is why I get the shits and call you clown takes
Never said he was shit mate. Sorry.

Just didn't think he'd suit Peps style that's all of their long-term plans. If I were them I'd have gone all our for Haaland..

Also didn't say he's shit for you. Class player. Just not who I think you needed nor someone who will help you win titles or trophies. Not with your midfield and defence.

Realise you don't like me, which is fine. But let's not start making shit up.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Never said he was shit mate. Sorry.

Just didn't think he'd suit Peps style that's all of their long-term plans. If I were them I'd have gone all our for Haaland..

Also didn't say he's shit for you. Class player. Just not who I think you needed nor someone who will help you win titles or trophies. Not with your midfield and defence.

Realise you don't like me, which is fine. But let's not start making shit up.
Hahahahabagaga BS do a 180

Ronaldo is shit

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Was strange seeing Ole bring Sancho and VDB on so late. What was the reason behind that? Didn't watch any of Ole's post match interviews, did he explain why?

Rumours going around that both want out in the Jan window. Can see that with VDB but surely not Sancho?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
100% spot on.
Yeah. Find it strange people now saying that Conte wouldn't have suited the United way even tho Ole stole his exact tactics?

For me it's about how you can get the best out of Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho and VDB. That's your future right THERE

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah. Find it strange people now saying that Conte wouldn't have suited the United way even tho Ole stole his exact tactics?

For me it's about how you can get the best out of Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho and VDB. That's your future right THERE
Oles move to 3 at the back looks temporary, Contes would be permanent. Greenwood has started most games for us this season, Rashford has played almost every game since his return and Sancho needs time to sort his head out. VDB is the real head scratcher.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Oles move to 3 at the back looks temporary, Contes would be permanent. Greenwood has started most games for us this season, Rashford has played almost every game since his return and Sancho needs time to sort his head out. VDB is the real head scratcher.
Why do you think it'd be temporary?

Personally feel it's the only formation that will work for you under Ole. At least with Conte he's a proven match and trophy winner who'd bring the best out of your players.

You mentioned the best three up top is Cavanni Ronaldo Bruno which I agree with. Where does that leave Sancho and Greenwood?

Will be interesting seeing how Ole reacts to this game and your injuries

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why do you think it'd be temporary?

Personally feel it's the only formation that will work for you under Ole. At least with Conte he's a proven match and trophy winner who'd bring the best out of your players.

You mentioned the best three up top is Cavanni Ronaldo Bruno which I agree with. Where does that leave Sancho and Greenwood?

Will be interesting seeing how Ole reacts to this game and your injuries
Ole has used the formation a few times and its never lasted more than a month, he had his best period playing a 4-2-3-1 and I personally see us going back to that. We dont have the squad to play 3-5-2. We dont have 3 fit centre backs, our right back is so poor going forward, Rashford is pretty average playing as a striker. So when it comes to rotation we wont have the squad to play 3-5-2.

If he was going to stick with 3-5-2, then Sancho would need to play the Bruno role, in behind the strikers, played their a bit for Dortmund, but that then leaves out our second best player and so its not ideal. Rashford and Greenwood would rotate with the strikers.

Personally, I think our best front line would be;

Ronaldo - Cavani - Sancho

I know Ronaldo might not have the legs to track back but he hasnt tracked back for the majority of his career and his teams have found a way around it, so I dont know why it should be any different now. Greenwood and Rashford would get enough game time through rotation, and if it wasnt for the team struggling, the side would be getting rotated.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ole has used the formation a few times and its never lasted more than a month, he had his best period playing a 4-2-3-1 and I personally see us going back to that. We dont have the squad to play 3-5-2. We dont have 3 fit centre backs, our right back is so poor going forward, Rashford is pretty average playing as a striker. So when it comes to rotation we wont have the squad to play 3-5-2.

If he was going to stick with 3-5-2, then Sancho would need to play the Bruno role, in behind the strikers, played their a bit for Dortmund, but that then leaves out our second best player and so its not ideal. Rashford and Greenwood would rotate with the strikers.

Personally, I think our best front line would be;

Ronaldo - Cavani - Sancho

I know Ronaldo might not have the legs to track back but he hasnt tracked back for the majority of his career and his teams have found a way around it, so I dont know why it should be any different now. Greenwood and Rashford would get enough game time through rotation, and if it wasnt for the team struggling, the side would be getting rotated.
Fair points.

Personally I'd try to stick with one formation so the team would get used to it. Better chance of success imo.

Agree re Ronaldo, guess why he's getting called out more now is because the others aren't doing the legwork for him

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not the biggest fan of CR7 but his ability to perform for United on his return in the EPL and UCL under the pump is f*+#ing impressive

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I am not the biggest fan of CR7 but his ability to perform for United on his return in the EPL and UCL under the pump is f*+#ing impressive
Have to agree. Class player considering how bad the team is playing. Still pulls it out of the hat

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to agree. Class player considering how bad the team is playing. Still pulls it out of the hat
for all of CR7's attributes, and there are plenty, I have always hated his self aggrandising play and lack of work ethic off the ball --> Gary Neville recently spoke about how in a tie vs Barcelona in 2008, Wayne Rooney had to play on the left and track back, Tevez had to drop back and man mark Busquets, and CR7 played CF because he wouldn't work off the ball... where is the glory in cherry picking goals but not working for your team?

it is also easy to diminish his goal scoring for Real Madrid in La Liga considering the gulf in quality between the best and worst teams in Spain

but as a 36 year old in a misfiring team in the best domestic league and UCL, to be performing as he has been is impressive in an all time sense... and it opens up a new argument in the Messi vs CR7 debate as both in their mid-30's have moved to new clubs but CR7 has done better even though Messi is in an easier situation

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
for all of CR7's attributes, and there are plenty, I have always hated his self aggrandising play and lack of work ethic off the ball --> Gary Neville recently spoke about how in a tie vs Barcelona in 2008, Wayne Rooney had to play on the left and track back, Tevez had to drop back and man mark Busquets, and CR7 played CF because he wouldn't work off the ball... where is the glory in cherry picking goals but not working for your team?

it is also easy to diminish his goal scoring for Real Madrid in La Liga considering the gulf in quality between the best and worst teams in Spain

but as a 36 year old in a misfiring team in the best domestic league and UCL, to be performing as he has been is impressive in an all time sense... and it opens up a new argument in the Messi vs CR7 debate as both in their mid-30's have moved to new clubs but CR7 has done better even though Messi is in an easier situation
That's pretty much my take in it.

He's done well Ronaldo. Fact he's come into this pretty rubbish performing team and done what he's done needs to be commended.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I believe he has 15 goals in 16 games for club and country this season. At 36, and he didnt have a pre season. He is a freak.

Bruno has also created the most chances out of anyone across all of Europe. World class playmaker.
Bruno’s assist have gone unnoticed by a few here
He is the best at it and has been since joining
I agree world class playmaker
And was heavily marked today, as he is most games

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bruno’s assist have gone unnoticed by a few here
He is the best at it and has been since joining
I agree world class playmaker
And was heavily marked today, as he is most games
If Bruno isnt world class, then KdB also isnt. Being world class is being top 3-5 in the world at what you do. There are not 5 better playmakers than Bruno.

His assist against Spurs was so good, perfect ball.