The Man Who Swayed GI to ditch NSW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogboom

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
MAROONS star Greg Inglis has credited a former Brisbane Watchhouse guard for steering him to Queensland and orchestrating the most audacious defection in Origin history.
Inglis will Wednesday night be out to deny NSW a 3-0 rout at Suncorp Stadium - the very location that doubled as the crime scene for Queensland’s great Origin heist.

MAL SAYS TIME FOR ROOKIES TO RUN RIOT

WHITEWASH FEARS KEEP PRESSURE ON MAROONS

TIME FOR INGLIS TO ‘FLICK THE SWITCH’

Inglis has developed into the greatest tryscorer in Origin history, having crossed 15 times in 23 games for the Maroons.

But a decade ago, he was an unknown teen from the NSW town of Kempsey, sent to Brisbane by the Storm to serve an apprenticeship at feeder-club Norths Devils.

At 16, he landed at the doorstep of Adrian Coolwell - and so began the unwitting indoctrination that convinced Inglis to swear his allegiance to Queensland.

“I remember it plain as day ... Greg introduced me to Cooper Cronk when they were teammates at Norths and he said to Cronk, ‘This is the bloke who swayed me to Queensland’,” Coolwell recalls.

“From the moment I laid eyes on Greg I knew he could play NRL. He’s been a fantastic role model for indigenous kids and I know that drives Greg to this day.”

Coolwell has become so influential Inglis refers to him as his “second dad”.

A ex-officer at the Brisbane Watchhouse, Coolwell recalls showing Inglis a jail cell and the teenager’s terror when he said: “I don’t ever want to see you inside here.”

But it was their indigenous links that sold Inglis on the Queensland dream. At home, they watched footage of Maroons pioneer Arthur Beetson, Australia’s first Aboriginal rugby league captain.

Coolwell then took Inglis on a tour of Suncorp to inspect the plaques of Maroons servants. He educated Inglis on one remarkable statistic - how one-third of Queensland’s Origin representatives have indigenous blood.

The kid from Kempsey walked along studying each name: Meninga. Tallis. Renouf. Sailor. Backo. Currie. Beetson.

Inglis saw first hand how Queensland would foster Aboriginal talent. That day, NSW lost the young gun who would become the most lethal tryscorer in Origin history.

“The turning point was the day I took him to Suncorp Stadium,” Coolwell said.

“We walked along looking at the plaques and counted the number of indigenous kids ... Greg really took that in.

“On average, Queensland produces an Aboriginal kid every year. From that day, Greg’s heart was with Queensland and that they could do something for him.”

Yet to score a try in this series, Inglis is primed to break the drought in Origin III and Maroons teammate Daly Cherry-Evans rates him his worst nightmare in defence.

“I find Greg the hardest player to tackle in the NRL personally,” he said.

“He’s very fortunate with the attributes he’s got.

“It’s a (combination) of physical attributes that helps him become the player he is. He is big, fast, strong and he’s also smart, it really does help him out on the footy field.

“I like it when he’s on the same side as me.”

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I bet Marley would love the Bulldogs to employ Adrian Coolwell.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
“From the moment I laid eyes on Greg I knew he could play NRL. He’s been a fantastic role model for indigenous kids and I know that drives Greg to this day.”
Lol

Yeah - smacking your missus is being a great role model.

Croc

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That article just makes it sound that nsw are racist to aboriginal kids. Which is total bullshit. At the end of the day inglis is a traitor, but if someone wants to play for qld let em

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Well silly me. I thought there was a set of criteria that was supposed to determine what state you played for.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol Meninga and Tallis are not even indigenous....I don't know why they keep referring to them as Indigenous .

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can I see the man who swayed Inglis to bash his missus?

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What a deadshit I mistakingly thought Inglis was a gentleman , a great ambassador for NRL ,I didn't know he bashed his missus.

You would think that assaulting a defenseless person ( anyone is is defenseless against Inglis really) would rate higher in bringing the game into disrepute than some clown drinking his own bodily fluids , at least impressionable fans aren't going to hurt anyone by copying carneys party trick.

Wow the nrl logic is truely twisted

Status
Not open for further replies.