Soccer The Liverpool FC Super Thread

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Don't recall playing Leicester City at home this season.. maybe because the game was played at their home ground King Power Stadium and FYI, Leicester also managed a draw against Arsenal at the same ground - they're no pushovers

And the game against MK Dons were a bunch of youngsters being given their first team debuts with the inclusion of a few fringe players (who were eventually sold), only regular starting XI player named in that match was De Gea

Out of the three elite clubs you mentioned, Bayern Munich were the most susceptible last season in the CL, both Arsenal and Manchester United pushed them to their limits and gave them a real challenge and I can certainly see Chelsea and Man City giving them a serious challenge this year - I would go as far as saying Chelsea could also challenge Barcelona who were outplayed by a PSG side that had Ibrahimović out injured

I would put money on Chelsea going far into the Champions League this season, Jose Mourinho has assembled an unbelievable squad with a quality striker in Diego Costa now leading the attack whereas last season they had to depend on Torres/Eto'o/Ba who weren't clinical strikers and despite that they still nearly made the CL final

too69u

Kennel Established
Reaction score
S4Sonny we need at least 1 more class CB for united and get some injured players back.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Man, Rodgers has had interesting transfers since being appointed Liverpool's coach. It honestly feels like he has been playing career mode in fifa... A lot of his signings have been fifa wonder kids over the years LOL

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Man utd fans are the last that should be gloating at our European shortcomings at the moment considering he state they are in . And some it seems need to go and read up on some history. . Liverpool have 5 European triumphs to man Utds 2, unless ofcourse you selectively pick and chose the dates you want to start counting success.
As I said above , no Liverpool fan is happy with our transfers to date but au don't think man utd have set the world on fire either post Ferguson with the players they have brought in.
Chelsea may advance to the semifinals , but if they come up again Bayern, Real or. Barca they will struggle I think. They can always park the bus I guess.

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
you probably havent even seen them win anything...maybe that 1 champions league...that they only won because milan choked....
all liverpool has is that dumb youll never win again song....anfield was so quite yesterday u could hear a pin drop...
there is no way in hell Liverpool is better in Europe than United...u have been out of it for 5 yrs...and just because we missed out 1 season maybe 2....doesnt mean liverpool r a threat..
mark my words...Chelsea is more than capable of beating those big 3 teams...in fact besides Madrid...they have beaten Bayern and Barca the last couple of seasons...and won it as well...
so wuldnt go saying English teams cant compete...United would have put up a better fight yesterday with Mcnair at CD!

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Actually I have seen them win European titles starting in 1981 when we beat of all teams Real Madrid in the final. They were the years when Man Utd were struggling domestically . I watched also lose the 85 final to Juventus with a bullshit penalty at the now infamous Heysel disaster .
We may be struggling the last few years but so were Man Utd prior to that, they too had 25years without winning the league . In the era Liverpool were dominating in England we made the European final 5 times lifting it 4 times. Even in our lean years weve made the final 2 times .
Whether people want to accept it or not Liverpool remains the most successful English team in Europe.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
Liverpool are the st George of the epl, allways living in the past glory years

Let's be honest there are to many strong teams in England now for any team to have long periods of success domestically

Anyways fark Liverpool I just come to this thread to poke the fire a bit

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I too don't mind a little banter. Lets be honest, in our lean era we have made as many CL finals as what Man Utd have in their glory era.
And to set the record straight regard Milan choking in the 2005 final. I recall a certain Bayern Munich choking in the last 5 minutes of a final. They lost a final in 5 minutes.
Anyway, media are at it again claiming Balloteli will be sold in January.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Balotelli is being made a scapegoat

Honestly, everybody is so enraged about how he swapped shirts with Pepe during halftime instead of being more concerned about his on field performances

There's a reason why Balotelli has been shipped around to several clubs, he has the ability to be a great player but he's far too inconsistent and acts like a total f*ckwit off the field at times

Don't know why Rodgers was even interested in Balotelli, did he really think he could change him?

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
I'll say it
Get rid of Gerrard, I know he is Liverpool through and through but he is the robbie Farah of your team except Farah plays well where Gerard is a handbreak

I've watched a couple of lfc games and he was horrible the game is to quick for him now and I can't see him winning a epl title lfc had the chances and farked them

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He cost us the EPL last season with that slip. He didn't deserve that. he has been great player for us. The problem has not been Gerrard but how weve used him over the years, we have become too reliant on him making him the focus of everything that is Livepool when we should have been signing top players in the middle to compliment him and the qualities he brings to a team.

Moey999

Pitbull
Reaction score
I'm gonna cop shit for this but I really still have hope for Balotelli. It's no secret that we're better off playing with a 4-4-2 diamond (4-1-2-1-2) formation, but we're missing Sturridge who is easily one of our top attacking threats with Sterling. It'd be great if we could get Divock Origi in who could really change things. I still don't understand the signing of Lambert though. It was like a favour to him because he's a Liverpool supporter. Rodgers could have spent a bit more for someone younger, quicker, and undoubtedly better than Lambert.

Balotelli has been a disappointment so far this season, but as he said, he's used to playing off of another striker and roaming around. I really think he would benefit with the presence of Sturridge a lot.

Our defence however has been absolutely shocking. Enrique and Johnson are past it, and whilst Moreno and Manquillo are promising and doing well, Lovren and Skrtel aren't really doing it for me. I would have liked Agger to have stayed. Maybe our defence needs to gel more but at this rate our defence is looking dire.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not sure about that buddy. I'm reading reports that Balotelli threatened some woman after the Real Madrid match because she approached him getting in his Ferrari. Not sure how true these rumours are,
the guy is a loose cannon, he's not all there in the head if you ask me.
You can tell in his latest performances he looks disinterested and moody.
Who knows what he's capable of next. Balotelli has shown an obvious disinterest in the last matches.
He signs with up and instead of putting his head down and working hard he gets on social media and incites our rivals with stupid comments. We don't need that crap.

Moey999

Pitbull
Reaction score
Not sure about that buddy. I'm reading reports that Balotelli threatened some woman after the Real Madrid match because she approached him getting in his Ferrari. Not sure how true these rumours are,
the guy is a loose cannon, he's not all there in the head if you ask me.
You can tell in his latest performances he looks disinterested and moody.
Who knows what he's capable of next. Balotelli has shown an obvious disinterest in the last matches.
He signs with up and instead of putting his head down and working hard he gets on social media and incites our rivals with stupid comments. We don't need that crap.
I dunno man. True or not, he's been going pretty well this season regarding his off-field behaviour. The media are on his back 24/7 as everyone knows anything with the name BALOTELLI on it will get hits, and lots of hits.

Like I said Bluewhiteangel, he's better off playing as part of a pair of strikers. 4-2-3-1 is a massive, utterly massive mistake by Rodgers. The players are struggling, it's not helping our defence like it should with 2 holding mids, and it's certainly not helping our attack.

If you watch his highlights from last season, you can easily tell that being the single target-man is not his strong suit. He either finishes a chance with a few touches, puts someone into a hole or picks up the scraps and puts it in. He very rarely gets given the ball, dribbles around a few and slots something in, which was what Suarez was best at last season, and which is what Sturridge can do. He does have moments of brilliance where he'll drill something in from outside of the box but it is rare. He reminds me of a modern-day fullback in footy, roaming behind his forwards ready for a chance to put the opposition to the sword.

His form is poor, and he has had a fair few chances to put something in like he did last season (vs Tottenham, QPR), but... I don't know, something gives me the impression he's trying too hard or he's feeling the pressure. I really strongly feel like Sturridge could help alleviate that pressure when he comes back from his injury. You can see when he scored the one goal he's scored, he celebrated with emotion, not pride for himself or show-ponying or whatever.

I think all the criticism lately is unjust, and he needs more of a chance to prove himself.

Moey999

Pitbull
Reaction score
As for the line-up vs Hull, mine would be

-------------------Mignolet-------------------
Manquillo-----Skrtel-----Lovren-----Moreno
---------------------Can-----------------------
-----Henderson------------Coutinho---------
-------------------Lallana---------------------
----------Balotelli-----------Sterling----------

Gerrard out for an obvious rest, blokes getting old. Sterling up at striker playing a Sturridge-type role. Coutinho's forms getting better, Lallana playing well, Henderson is Henderson, Manquillo and Moreno are obvious choices over Enrique and Johnson, Skrtel and Lovren mainly because they're the main defensive partnership this season and more experience together is better.

If i was to create an alternative lineup, i'd take out Lallana and put Sterling in his place, and put Lambert or Borini in at striker. As long as it stays in the 4-4-2 diamond formation. I'd prefer the lineup I named though.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pathetic draw against Hull. Balotelli should have won us the match in the end but he couldn't. Get rid off him.
He has brought all the negative vibe that surrounds him into the team. The system we are playing may not suit Balotelli but he should be conforming to the system we play rather than the team conforming to his style of play. He has missed sitter after sitter.
Rodgers is kissing his ass too in the hope he turns it around. Praised him after the game .
only an idiot leave a player like Coutinho on the bench. Big fail from Rodgers with that decision.

trailie

Waterboy
Reaction score
Pathetic draw against Hull. Balotelli should have won us the match in the end but he couldn't. Get rid off him. He has brought all the negative vibe that surrounds him into the team. The system we are playing may not suit Balotelli but he should be conforming to the system we play rather than the team conforming to his style of play. He has missed sitter after sitter. Rodgers is kissing his ass too in the hope he turns it around. Praised him after the game . only an idiot leave a player like Coutinho on the bench. Big fail from Rodgers with that decision.
A bit knee jerk to be honest.

I thought we were slow in the first half (shocked that Diame didn’t boss us as we rested Henderson).

Let’s not forget we were denied a stone wall penalty with that challenge on Lallana, to which our players didn’t even protest (ridiculous).

Clean sheet kept so can’t complain there. The second half was much better where realistically, there was only one team in it.

Brendan has to decide on his best line-up. I’m certain he’s still unsure of it. I personally think Sterling, Lallana and Coutinho need to be on the pitch at the same time.

Ballotelli’s form is very worrying but the fact he hasn’t got a strike partner is the biggest problem for him. No surprise he had a couple of chance when Lambert came on.