The late night with Matty Johns,ft Paul McGregor

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone catch the part the panel was talking about the dogs, Matty the flog has been pushing the case about us and that if he was matt burton he would rather stay at the panthers, or he’s been telling brandy the other flog that burton is one not to lose or let go. Then Matty turns the attention about if he was a player or coach he wouldn’t being coming to the dogs, then they put the question to Paul McGregor and in all honesty my respect for him went up ten folds, he actually spoke us up and said that we are a gritty and resilient team that only lack a little big of class. He said a good half that one you speak off burton and Brandon smith and maybe addo car and a meter eater in the middle will life us off the bottom of the ladder dramatically.

Honestly spoke some sense.
Mary said we need a 9 & 7. We don't have either yet, unless you count Green which I don't.

Also sounds like Penrith do not wantt to lose Burton. No way are going to release him next season was my take out of that part of the conversation.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Johns is in the media, is not a coach nor playing anymore, so he can give whatever opinion he likes without burning too many bridges.
Mary on the other hand, was coaching up until very recently and may again in the near future. Not to mention he's more of a gentleman than Johns and more in tune with the current game.

It's just 2 different opinions. Nothing to have a cry about.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disagree. Players do not see TV hosts as idols lol

Players are taught early on to take what the media say with a grain of salt - hence the media training, hence why each club has media managers. Sure they have their opinion, but they do not know what is best for the player, as much as they think they do. And players know this lol.
I didn't know that players were trained to take everything reported in the Media with a grain of salt, but I'm also sure that some players do take a sneak at what is said on TV. Once a person has heard something it often has an effect on him/her either positive or negative, eg. I take everything Mr Gould says with total contempt.
BTW in my reference about treating TV hosts as idols, I was NOT referring to players I was referring to the general public, and BTW some of them do follow RL.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Johns is in the media, is not a coach nor playing anymore, so he can give whatever opinion he likes without burning too many bridges.
Mary on the other hand, was coaching up until very recently and may again in the near future. Not to mention he's more of a gentleman than Johns and more in tune with the current game.

If the Networks are keen to promote and grow the game they should firstly look at who they employ to host and comment on the game.

Malla

Reaction score
I didn't know that players were trained to take everything reported in the Media with a grain of salt, but I'm also sure that some players do take a sneak at what is said on TV. Once a person has heard something it often has an effect on him/her either positive or negative, eg. I take everything Mr Gould says with total contempt.
BTW in my reference about treating TV hosts as idols, I was NOT referring to players I was referring to the general public, and BTW some of them do follow RL.
You are making assumptions now.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s one thing having a team on paper capable of playing finals but not putting in the effort and a team like ours who put in the effort every week. If we get some quality players we have a good chance of turning it around

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't agree with you, many see TV hosts as idles and take to heart everything they say, particularly the young and the simple.
By saying that Burton should stay at the Panthers he is actually saying that he doesn't want him to come to our club, just like what Mr Gould said recently about advising Barrett change his mind about coming to our club.
I'm not aware of any player who has signed or not signed with a club because of an opinion of a TV host. It's the opinion of one bloke, we don't have to agree with it and hopefully he will be proven wrong in the coming years.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
i mean if he has a good relationship with Barrett, why wouldn't we be a good option for him? it's not like we're in the same position when we let hasler go and had to pay players to play against us

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matty John's pushing his own interests and agenda's again just like he said Cogger would be a good fit for us.

On the Johns'. Seriously some ex players should just be happy with their playing careers and ok yes providing individual's with playing skills. Andrew is the worst tipster and judge on winners and loses just like he never gave us a chance even at 20 nil up against the Rabbits.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i mean if he has a good relationship with Barrett, why wouldn't we be a good option for him? it's not like we're in the same position when we let hasler go and had to pay players to play against us
I agree. If Burton has a good relationship with Barrett then it is a good option for him and increases our chances of getting him. I think the constant board dramas and political leaking of info to the media is why there are some saying that we are a risky option.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Freddy Kruger is more of a gentleman than Johns...

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree being in a trench with Matthew Johns would be murder. Without doubt he’s one of the most unfunny, self absorbed people alive.
Ever met him? Ever spent time with him? Very interested on how you formed your opinion.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
As dogs supporters you hear don't go to the Bulldogs they are a basket case and we get pissed . But look at if from outside looking in, we are a basket case. In fighting at board level, leagues club hate football club..on the field we have played negative football for years. We sign than release players. Don't re sign captains. All these add up. Why would a player come unless they have a relationship with the coach.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ever met him? Ever spent time with him? Very interested on how you formed your opinion.
Never met him and have no wish to. This whole forum is based on opinions from people about people they haven't met. We all form opinions about public people based on what we see and hear. If you didn't get that, or don't form opinions about celebrity people like him yourself, good on you but you're rare.

He's on TV and generally in the faces of league fans a lot and he often tries to be funny. He has never made me laugh and I find his regular cracks about dope and all the sexual innuendo stuff (pub humour basically) pretty juvenile. Goes overboard laughing at his own childish humour - in my opinion. Doesn't listen to others, talks over them and looks to only think about what he's just said or what he's about to say.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If Matty Johns is on after a game I usually switch over to 9 for post game coverage, that's how bad I think his show is.

Even fox coverage/commentators are pretty crap, Blocker was asking if the team that comes last get an actual wooden spoon and laughing at himself yesterday.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
He very much comes across as an egotistical twat whose got tickets on himself. Very much. Not sure why he would portray himself as that if it's not the way he is?

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But to be fair it’s a positive step getting the coaching roster sorted it’s a big step
But at the end of the day the front office is a mess there is story’s every week leaked from both factions let’s be real they have to sort there shit out one way or another or yes it’s a turn off for players to come here esp up and coming superstars esp the ones with good mangers if our office can’t get there shit together and put aside we won’t land any super stars.
As for Newcastle’s there problem started in the front office post tinkler- Bennett era west come in and first thing they did was clean up front office and then they landed some good signings.
Unfortunately it’s the same path we gotta take either get rid of the cancers or clean the house completed coaching staff already done so any failures form now rest of the board
Regardless players won’t come cause of the coaching it will be the front office scaring them away

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Foxtel and news Ltd,it’s hardly surprising is it,at least on channel 9 we get a much better go from them,except for that fool Gould,Matty Johns that show just lacks credibility,