The last year at our club

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's not to understand??? We are having an old fashioned clean out and using the cap as an excuse.
I created a thread explaining the same thing and a few kennelers seem to think other wise.

The cap situation is bad but not as bad as the media is pushing it to be. It’s a smart move by the club to keep using the cap situation to get rid of old wood... I’d say keep going and get rid of all the retards and start fresh... but we also can’t get to excited and rid everyone from our team as we still need experience in certain positions...

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Your comments re the cap are either a form of sarcasm or you're quite simply a goose.
Well I may be a lot of things and may be If I shot an egg out of my ass I might feel like a goose...... but that's highly unlikely to happen. At least one constant runs true I haven't lost my sense of humor unlike some and in closing Magilla your opinions hardly even rate or deserve a mention. :grinning:

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We all have different opinions of players and the positives and negatives they bring to a club.

But i ask the kennel just to keep the opinions out of it and try to help me come to a logical conclusion/explanation

Late last year we lost Graham, Kasiano & Reynolds to sign Woods and Foran.

This year we have lost Mbye now and its been made clear we do not have cash to re-sign the Morris boys and Eastwood. From all reports it looks like Woods is gone.

We have signed some "young talent" and a couple of fringe first graders though this is minimum cap space taken away.

Just keep the emotions and opinions of these individuals away from this and when you look at this whole picture can someone please explain to me how the fuck do we lose - Graham, Kasiano, Reynolds, Mbye, Josh Morris, Brett Morris, Eastwood & Woods to keep only Foran?

Am i missing something?

Am i off my fucken head?
Times move on mate,with the exception of graham,tell us what they have done for our club except chase the money,Brett and josh good footballers but always injured

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We all have different opinions of players and the positives and negatives they bring to a club.

But i ask the kennel just to keep the opinions out of it
Don't give an opinion? That's kind of what a forum is - people's opinions.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No, you're not missing anything (not sure about being off your head though) ;)

I think it's due the fact that the previous admin signed foran, brown and woods assuming the salary cap would be 10 million plus but in reality it was only roughly 9.2 that's why we had to offload graham and kasiano, back-ended deals signed off by the previous administration are why we are paying a large portion of their salary for this year and beyond. A new board, recruiter and coach coming in, it's obvious the higher ups thought that the team assembled on paper wasn't very competitive. If you believe our CEO and the whole deal about not being able to recruit until 2021 it's obvious that the new board/coach didn't rate a lot of the current squad hence the fire sale clean out and rebuild.

That's just my two cents anyway
Yeh true, also the club is working towards a system where cap money is going to be spent wisely across the squad where a certain portion will go to outside backs, another fixed portion to the front row, a certain amount for the spine etc etc.
To ensure we got talent across the whole squad. Not like in the past where hasler spent most of the cap money on forwards alone and left us with shitty wingers, fullbacks and halves. It's a more balanced approach. If they think too much money is spent on say props then they'll cut that back and allocate more towards outside backs for example. The result would be talent that's spread across the park not just on a few positions.

Obviously the previous board and administration's decisions on recruitment and retention are different to the new board and new adminsitration's decisions. A lot of the knee jerk signings and letting go of players last year would have some type of play by Dib in order for him to keep his job as it was nearing election time. I think a clean out and start fresh is the approach the new regime is doing. Also regarding Foran, the only reason he's not being shopped around is because no club will take him off our hands. Every club knows he's busted. If we were to offload him, we'll probably end up paying $800k of his $1m a year contract, which we will not do. So the only other option would be to medically retire him. If I was Pay I would be making him work really hard at training and pushing him to breaking point so that Foran can retire himself and that way we'll free up his whole contract worth from our cap. Not going to be easy to do. But I seriously can't see him playing out his whole three year deal.

Last edited:

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
On paper it appears that you may be right. May be. Judging by your post, you seem to think these players are a loss.
Graham, Kasiano, Mbye, Eastwood and Woods are all overpaid and made a mess of the cap. It would have been nice to keep some of them, but not very practical,
considering the salary cap. JM and BM are almost at retiring age. The have maybe one more good year, but not at the salary the three stooges gave them.
The only way forward is to employ youth and develop them to FG standard. We have a good smattering of promising players to build on.
Sadly the reggies coach has not been able to aid their development.

Downtowndog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
On paper it appears that you may be right. May be. Judging by your post, you seem to think these players are a loss.
Graham, Kasiano, Mbye, Eastwood and Woods are all overpaid and made a mess of the cap. It would have been nice to keep some of them, but not very practical,
considering the salary cap. JM and BM are almost at retiring age. The have maybe one more good year, but not at the salary the three stooges gave them.
The only way forward is to employ youth and develop them to FG standard. We have a good smattering of promising players to build on.
Sadly the reggies coach has not been able to aid their development.
On paper they are a loss because they have not been replaced by players equal to or better.

Without a doubt there are definitely overpaid players in Floporan, Woods, Mbye & Eastwood.

All I am saying is we have lost all these experienced players who were on "big money", yet that money that is available from them was used on "so far", 2 newcastle juniors, roosters ISP forward and that Panthers winger.

Are you telling me that we have Foran, Klemmer, Jackson, Tolman & Floppa on more than $1m a season each? By the sounds of it, it looks that way and it looks like 3rd party sponsorships dont exist at Canterbury

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
No the figures have never added up and tbh still don't. It would appear on the surface that 3/4 of our salary cap has moved on with maybe a 1/4 been spent in bringing players in. If it was banked money I would assume that someone has their hands in the till.

Doomsdaydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It looks like the new board is trying to offload the players who are on massive overs, signed by the old board.

The question is can they get rid of them at their full cost? Somehow we are buckleys chance of getting rid of Floporan and Floppa who are on crazy overs.

Time will tell

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
No the figures have never added up and tbh still don't. It would appear on the surface that 3/4 of our salary cap has moved on with maybe a 1/4 been spent in bringing players in. If it was banked money I would assume that someone has their hands in the till.
You seem to be confusing the timing of things to create the confusion you have. We had to get rid of Graham, Kas & Reynolds so we could be cap compliant for 2018 knowing we had Mbye, Woods, Foran, Klemmer, Jackson & Hoppa on our books. We reworked the books and came up with only $500k available to recruit 5 more players to the squad for 2019. Anderson and Pay have developed a plan (and I would agree with Dogwhisperer here on the substance of the plan about balancing the allocations) to bring some young blokes into the squad that they can develop into the type of squad they are looking for in coming years. To do that they need more than $100k per player, so moving on Mbye turns the $500k into $1.3m for 6 blokes or about $200k per player. That is much more marketable than $100k per player. I'm not convinced that Woods is gone but if he is then that will give us maybe another $500k but an extra player to recruit. Bottom line is no other team in the comp has a pack that is costing them around $4m and that's what we have. That was Des' strategy and it was always the wrong one.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Another part of the issue isn't just our players although they're a huge part. A huge factor is it seems our entire football department has absolutely no clue what they're doing, there isn't any innovation or attempt to revitalize us, we as a team look like we are going through the motions and everyone is just working week to week for a paycheck.

There isn't any passion at this club and it shows, on and off the field we don't look like we are going that extra mile to be successful. I think as fans we can understand that during a rebuilding phase that we'll languish and not play well but you'd expect that there's forward momentum and something to look forward to. Be that new strategies, rookies that show promise, players actually giving an arse. I honestly think we needed to get rid of J Reynolds, but if every single player on our current roster had at least half his passion we'd look like a much better team even if we still struggle

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Another part of the issue isn't just our players although they're a huge part. A huge factor is it seems our entire football department has absolutely no clue what they're doing, there isn't any innovation or attempt to revitalize us, we as a team look like we are going through the motions and everyone is just working week to week for a paycheck.

There isn't any passion at this club and it shows, on and off the field we don't look like we are going that extra mile to be successful. I think as fans we can understand that during a rebuilding phase that we'll languish and not play well but you'd expect that there's forward momentum and something to look forward to. Be that new strategies, rookies that show promise, players actually giving an arse. I honestly think we needed to get rid of J Reynolds, but if every single player on our current roster had at least half his passion we'd look like a much better team even if we still struggle
good points and I think that is pretty much what they have started to do this year. don't forget Pay has only been here a few months and Anderson even less. They can't change the world in 11 weeks. It will probably take a couple of years to get things back in shape. Best example is the dragqueens. It's taken McGregor 4 years to build a squad. We are fast tracking it by negotiating releases but it will still take time. Honestly, I just want to get back to talking footy and enjoying or being angry at how we went on the weekend. I'm totally over all the backroom rubbish.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
good points and I think that is pretty much what they have started to do this year. don't forget Pay has only been here a few months and Anderson even less. They can't change the world in 11 weeks. It will probably take a couple of years to get things back in shape. Best example is the dragqueens. It's taken McGregor 4 years to build a squad. We are fast tracking it by negotiating releases but it will still take time. Honestly, I just want to get back to talking footy and enjoying or being angry at how we went on the weekend. I'm totally over all the backroom rubbish.
Agreed.

Good things take time, and getting rid of Mbye is a good move, the guy is nothing but an overpaid hack who talks himself up non-stop.

Honestly though Woods whilst overpaid is not as bad as people make him out to be, i see him looking for support players a lot of the time, just noone is ever in support and it boggles the mind, our backline needs to follow our forwards because this year we've had enough go forward to actually make a dent

Status
Not open for further replies.