News The kid is contracted to Penrith’: Cronk backs Panthers over ‘ridiculous’ Matt Burton standoff

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
dont be surprised after round 4 when thompson is back it happens

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
from a development standpoint, playing in a struggling team can be detrimental to young players... but personally, and not just limited to Rugby League, I love players that have had to struggle, fail, lose, work on their games etc. and then overcome and win instead of just having everything given to them... too many of today's players are soft
yea alch and we got a lot of em ...in our team....except they never won anything....

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont be surprised after round 4 when thompson is back it happens
Are you suggesting the player swap with Napa is still on the cards or do Penrith want someone else? I'd be stunned if they want Napa. Surely Penrith cant be that dumb

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
either a thumbs down or is there a "rolling my eyes" one? will this shit never end...............................

th.jpg

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea alch and we got a lot of em ...in our team....except they never won anything....
I guess each situation needs to be judged on its own merits... but I remember an interview with Mitchell Moses when he admitted it was a culture shock to come into a struggling Wests Tigers team considering how successful he had been in the lower games... but Moses was never held to account for the team's continual struggles, was always selected, always well paid and the result was a player that should have played Origin, contended for premierships etc. but never had the drive nor was driven to be better

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So now the media are cheering the validity of contracts again. They were all singing SBWs praises for walking out on one...total hypocrites. Flanagan had a contract with the Rorters as well.

Burton should walk out...they’re treating him like a fool

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
So now the media are cheering the validity of contracts again. They were all singing SBWs praises for walking out on one...total hypocrites. Flanagan had a contract with the Rorters as well.

Burton should walk out...they’re treating him like a fool
When all said and done, the crux of the issue is there's no sign that Burton wants out, at least enough to force the issue.

Until, or unless, that happens. Game over.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When all said and done, the crux of the issue is there's no sign that Burton wants out, at least enough to force the issue.

Until, or unless, that happens. Game over.
Mate of course he wants out. His manager, who works for him, is asking for a release and we're also doing our part to get him here. If he didnt want a release he would have let us know to stop and this whole saga would be over. There is NO WAY in hell all this is going on without Burton’s consent

It seems like he wants out but he doesn't want to go down the Klemmer/Aloiai route. Instead he is taking the nice guy/sucker option - he's hoping Penrith feel sorry for him and grant him a release.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Mate of course he wants out. His manager, who works for him, is asking for a release and we're also doing our part to get him here. If he didnt want a release he would have let us know to stop and this whole saga would be over. There is NO WAY in hell all this is going on without Burton’s consent

It seems like he wants out but he doesn't want to go down the Klemmer/Aloiai route. Instead he is taking the nice guy/sucker option - he's hoping Penrith feel sorry for him and grant him a release.
Oh yes I believe all that as well. I said "force the issue" and we don't have any indication of that.

Everyone and their dog in the press have had their say about his future, his wellbeing, his financial loss, but so far nothing of any substance from the very guy himself.

I think he would have got the msg, at least publicly, that they aren't releasing him or feeling sorry for him nor care less he isnt in firstgrade or losing upwards of $100k.

Until that happens, or the Napa thing gathers a bit of steam, it looks like its up to Matt, or wait we till 2022.

Last edited:

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yes I believe all that as well. I said "force the issue" and we don't have any indication of that.

Everyone and their dog in the press have had their say about his future, his wellbeing, his financial loss, but so far nothing of any substance from the very guy himself.

I think he would have got the msg, at least publicly, that they aren't releasing him or feeling sorry for him nor care less he isnt in firstgrade or losing upwards of $100k.

Until that happens, or the Napa thing gathers a bit of steam, it looks like its up to Matt, or wait till 2022.
I listened to his post game interview yesterday and he seems like a very quiet/shy guy. He didn't look comfortable doing the interview. He doesn't strike me as the sort of bloke who's going to be publicly demanding a release, especially since he's only 21 and has only played a handful of reserve grade games, so it looks like he's leaving it up to his manager and the club to do his bidding

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s contracted to Penrith. We asked for an early release. They said no.
That’s it. Move on

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I listened to his post game interview yesterday and he seems like a very quiet/shy guy. He didn't look comfortable doing the interview. He doesn't strike me as the sort of bloke who's going to be publicly demanding a release, especially since he's only 21 and has only played a handful of reserve grade games, so it looks like he's leaving it up to his manager and the club to do his bidding
Yes I got that about Matt as well. A very decent young bloke, who'd prefer to start earning the big bucks and running his own team but ethical enough to not jump up and down making demands and kinda accepts the situation ...as much as he'd like Penrith to let him go. Pretty rare to see a player so ethical.

I hope it all works out for him...whatever's best for him.

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bits of seen of him, looks a real smug so and so true? lookatme lookatme... is a cockhead :laughing:
Out of the big 3 cheats at the Storm, Crank is the biggest dog c$&t, which is quite an effort will Slater who just says punch me in the face..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I wish Darcie had asked some harder questions but she probably got clued in about not doing that.

She's a good person as well and is on side with our club.

Reedy

Waterboy
Reaction score
I’d be more concerned if the Panthers did release him early.
At least we know he’s in their top 30 :grinning:

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fear bringing Burton over early would be similar to last year bringing Luke Thompson early
Without an off-season preparing with us and hardly any game time it would be a struggle to play at potential. And Luke was a seasoned professional and was a passenger until it clicked for him.