The JJ Giltinan Shield is ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
As a Berries . Bulldogs supporter, this Shield holds a lot of memories for me. For those of you who have had little or no knowledge of what it is, thanks to wikipedia, here is its history. The 1980 premiership winning Bulldogs carried this around the SCG.

The J.J. Giltinan Shield is an Australian rugby league trophy, first introduced for the 1951 New South Wales Rugby Football League season. It was named after the late James J. Giltinan, an entrepreneur who helped to found the sport of rugby league in Australia and who led the first Kangaroo Tour to England in 1908. Giltinan died in 1950 and the Shield was created for the following season in his honour.
From 1951, the Shield was awarded to the winner of the New South Wales Rugby League (NSWRL) Grand Final, replacing the Labor Daily Cup. In addition to the Shield, premiership winning teams received the W. D. & H. O. Wills Cup from 1960–1981, the Winfield Cup from 1982–1995, and the Optus Cup in 1996.
Since 1997 the J.J. Giltinan Shield has been awarded to the NRL minor premiers.
Since the inception of the National Rugby League in 1998, only three teams have won the minor premiership more than once: the Brisbane Broncos (1998 and 2000) who won the premierships in both years, the Parramatta Eels (2001 and 2005) who lost the Grand Final in the former year and lost the preliminary final the latter year and the St. George Illawarra Dragons (2009 and 2010) who won its first premiership in 31 years in the latter year. Only three minor premiers: the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks (in 1999), the Eels in 2005 and the Dragons in 2009 have failed to make the Grand Final in those years. The last team to win the minor premiership/premiership double were the St. George Illawarra Dragons in 2010. The other teams to do so were the Brisbane Broncos, twice (in 1998 and 2000) and the Penrith Panthers in 2003.

It is an impressive looking trophy and has lots of history. THE greats of our game have had their hands on this trophy.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
well done guys, and in all 3 grades, I am so so happy

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a great year it has been so far. Well done to the mighty bulldogs with 3 minor premierships.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yeh all 3 grades, first time in club history. Doubt many clubs have achieved it.

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
Great to Lamb out there raising the Shield. He has held aloft the Winfield Cup as well.

S

sneakyprick

Enjoy it as the real trophy will be coming back to the Northern Beaches. Premature celebration lol.

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
Enjoy it as the real trophy will be coming back to the Northern Beaches. Premature celebration lol.
The pressure is upon you ol' Sneaky... you are the holders, were are the challengers. It is one of the hardest things in rugby league to win two on the trot. This year will be no different.

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You are a fuckwit in the highest degree!

We will enjoy being minor premiers in all 3 grades, but we will enjoy the Premiership much more.

Just like your mother done to me, you are "going down"

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You are a fuckwit in the highest degree!

We will enjoy being minor premiers in all 3 grades, but we will enjoy the Premiership much more.

Just like your mother done to me, you are "going down"
she went down on me last night also, gee wiz she is a busy lady, but god love her she loves a doggy dude dont she, cant wait for her efforts after we win the GF

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
she went down on me last night also, gee wiz she is a busy lady, but god love her she loves a doggy dude dont she, cant wait for her efforts after we win the GF
Wait till his sister comes around, I think she is nearly done with his uncle and your next

Go Dogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lol. Relax. That was a harmless jibe. Save your anger for the referees. Again we got hammered in the penalties.

Dogzkill4eva

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best feeling watching Ennis hold the shiled going to be a better feeling if he hold sthe trophy

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
Wait till his sister comes around, I think she is nearly done with his uncle and your next
You Boys are Very Very naughty, but I like you.. now off the naughty corner with both of you..... lol.

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You Boys are Very Very naughty, but I like you.. now off the naughty corner with both of you..... lol.
We dont start the sh!t, just return fire and defend our club from fu*kwits like that stupidprick

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The was nothing premature about celebrating 3 Minor Premierships on the one day, a feat which your sh!t team hasn't been able to achieve, and hasn't been done since 1990. We are entitled to be proud of our club this season and only time will tell who wins the Premiership this year.

You're the one celebrating a win before it has happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.