The Jamal to Newcastle Knights Speccy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spudowsky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Im a huge fan of Idris myself and I would love to see him stay at the dogs. All this media exposure unfortunately keeps putting his price tag up. He has had a great start to this season and whatever happens I hope he keeps this up, I've seen to many players over the years play their hearts out for a contract and then go into their shell.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Spotted tonight on Gold Coast, big Jamma having dinner with Titans Cartright and Searle. Being romanced by the Titans. Or is it bromanced?

If i was Jamma i would let them all romance me for some nice free holidays and food and God knows what else.

Then he can sign with us. I will tell you one thing though, Gold Coast is a very nice place to live, what do you think im doing up here? I grew up in Sydney. Idris might like it. I hope we throw enough cash at him to keep him. He should be a massive priority at the Dogs right now, there will be a revolt if we lose him lol. Burn the towers!

Jigga

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Spotted tonight on Gold Coast, big Jamma having dinner with Titans Cartright and Searle. Being romanced by the Titans. Or is it bromanced?

If i was Jamma i would let them all romance me for some nice free holidays and food and God knows what else.

Then he can sign with us. I will tell you one thing though, Gold Coast is a very nice place to live, what do you think im doing up here? I grew up in Sydney. Idris might like it. I hope we throw enough cash at him to keep him. He should be a massive priority at the Dogs right now, there will be a revolt if we lose him lol. Burn the towers!
Don't like the sound of that.......tbh the titans are the team i'm worried about as they are cashed up and sell the lifestyle

Junkyard

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
jamal Idris is a star player.....he adds value to the team - according to Hazem el Masri in his book - the Dogs management offered him below his worth EVERY time his contract came up for renewal - yet he is our greatest ever player.
Idirs will walk if he is not paid right - why shouldn't he - we lose again if that happens....we need a great player in our team who has the marquee attraction - ut brings the fans through the turnstiles - and puts even more pride in out team.
Idris is on the cusp of cementing a place in both the Origin and Australian team - his future is in front of him - and he has a good decade plus to go in the game - barring injury - signing him up really is a no brainer - and to save $50k a year or something and let him go to another club - would be the act of a fool.
let's see if the Dogs management is smart enough to get his signature.
The track record is not a good one.

MAD DOG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
jamal Idris is a star player.....he adds value to the team - according to Hazem el Masri in his book - the Dogs management offered him below his worth EVERY time his contract came up for renewal - yet he is our greatest ever player.
Idirs will walk if he is not paid right - why shouldn't he - we lose again if that happens....we need a great player in our team who has the marquee attraction - ut brings the fans through the turnstiles - and puts even more pride in out team.
Idris is on the cusp of cementing a place in both the Origin and Australian team - his future is in front of him - and he has a good decade plus to go in the game - barring injury - signing him up really is a no brainer - and to save $50k a year or something and let him go to another club - would be the act of a fool.
let's see if the Dogs management is smart enough to get his signature.
The track record is not a good one.
???? you saying hes better than Terry Lamb? Steve Mortimer? Steve Price? George Peponis? Steve Folkes? David Gillespie? Steve Gearin? Chris Anderson? Luke Patten? Peter Tunks? Mark Bugden?

best goal kicker, yes, but not the best player ever.... he might have taken a paycut but hes still employed to this day by our club including other ambassodor and community roles which surely is making up for that and making more money in the long run....

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We know now how much of a grub SBW is, but he might have stayed had
we given him a little bit more cash..... would be sad to lose Jamal for the
sake of a few lousy bucks =(

Junkyard

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yes Mad dog - our greatest EVER player
both Mortimer and Lamb would give him a run - the others don't get there , they are not in his league (no pun intended)- and I have been wathching the Dogs every season since Fred Anderson first ran on to Belmore
Hazem is so much more than just a footballer - of which he is a great one.....he is an outstanding ambassador for the game - and the pride of our community.
easily - our greatest ever player. as in the end - it is about the game - and then sponme players transcend the game - they are the rare ones - and Hazem El Masri fills the bill admirably.
NOW to Jamal - pay the money Dogs admin......don't lose him like we lost SBW, Price, asotasi, O'Melley, Mason, Thurston and dozens of others we should have kept- it is one of the great tragedies being a long time fan of the dogs how they have let players go time and time again- and not paid them what they needed to stay - and most of them did - over decades.
Sure - some of them were good to get rid of in the end - BUT, even Mason and SBW gave us great pride in our team - whe they were delivering - and who can forget the Mason wigs - Idris is an extremely marketable player - a source of pride for our indigenous community - the younger fans love him.
Making him our no1 project to sign up long term =- should be the Dogs greatest priority right now - aside from winning the comp.

Junkyard

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
both Mortimer and Lamb would give him a run - the others don't get there , they are not in his league (no pun intended)- and I have been wathching the Dogs every season since Fred Anderson first ran on to Belmore
Hazem is so much more than just a footballer - of which he is a great one.....he is an outstanding ambassador for the game - and the pride of our community.
easily - our greatest ever player. as in the end - it is about the game - and then some players transcend the game - they are the rare ones - and Hazem El Masri fills the bill admirably.
NOW to Jamal - pay the money Dogs admin......don't lose him like we lost SBW, Price, asotasi, O'Melley, Mason, Thurston and dozens of others we should have kept- it is one of the great tragedies being a long time fan of the dogs how they have let players go time and time again- and not paid them what they needed to stay - and most of them did - over decades.
Sure - some of them were good to get rid of in the end - BUT, even Mason and SBW gave us great pride in our team - when they were delivering - and who can forget the Mason wigs - Idris is an extremely marketable player - a source of pride for our indigenous community - the younger fans love him....and he is playing GREAT football
Making him our no1 project to sign up long term =- should be the Dogs greatest priority right now - aside from winning the comp.

hotdiggitydogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Does anyone think Idris is worth $400 thousand a year. I dont think he has proven that in just two games, just as u can't say we will in the comp after two games. Sure he has got great athletic ability, but remember most players play above their normal capacity when playing for a contract.
Sure he has out played Chris Lawrence who isnt all that.
and he out played a very under done Inglis, who we all know doesn't fire until at least Origin time, plus he is coming off 2 surgeries in the off season.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Does anyone think Idris is worth $400 thousand a year
Sure, he's worth that much for the marketability factor alone, if he plays as well as he has been, that's an added bonus.

Honestly, I don't think the Bulldogs managment is dumb enough to let him go unless the asking price gets crazy ($400k is up there, but there is still value in it for the club).

Yak From Yass

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There is a vast difference between what something is cost and what something is worth ...... While I rate Idris highly I am left asking myself the same question, if Idris cost us $400K is he really worth $400K? At this stage I would suggest not and with two other clubs interested in him the cost of him will increase.

C

chipandchase

easily - our greatest ever player. as in the end - it is about the game - and then sponme players transcend the game - they are the rare ones - and Hazem El Masri fills the bill admirably.
Sure - some of them were good to get rid of in the end - BUT, even Mason and SBW gave us great pride in our team - whe they were delivering - and who can forget the Mason wigs - Idris is an extremely marketable player - a source of pride for our indigenous community - the younger fans love him.
hazem as the greatest player ever is probably the most stupid comment i ever read on here, and that is saying something.
he is not in the same breath as Turvey and Lamb, we would be lucky to be in the top10 players. He played what 1 orogin game and 1 or so tests?
please, what a stupid comment.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
hazem as the greatest player ever is probably the most stupid comment i ever read on here, and that is saying something.
he is not in the same breath as Turvey and Lamb, we would be lucky to be in the top10 players. He played what 1 orogin game and 1 or so tests?
please, what a stupid comment.
I was going to say this until I read your post and obviously decided to just use your comments. What a laughable statement seriously. Hazem had his qualities but ffs he doesn't get near some of those players mentioned. Baa Lamb eats Hazam alive in 5 seconds running on one leg

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Bulldogs to put offer to Idris next week

By Nathan Ryan
24 March 2011 02:06PM EST

CANTERBURY boss Todd Greenberg will put forward his formal offer to the NRL's hottest commodity Jamal Idris early next week.

The Bulldogs have been busy exploring as many commercial options as possible to ensure they are well positioned to retain the centre without entering a bidding war.

“His earning capacity off the field and interest in television and movies make him powerful off the field,” Greenberg told Sportsnewsfirst.com.au on Thursday.

“I’ve always said we will compete commercially and will make an offer that is good enough and strong enough to keep him.”

With all parties who are interested in Idris offering some form of indigenous ambassador’s role, Greenberg is hoping that being in the market place of Sydney will work in their advantage as they offer to assist the star in furthering his brand.

“Extending the Jamal Idris brand in consultation with Jamal, his manager and family,” Greenberg said.

As revealed first by Sportsnewsfirst.com.au last Tuesday, the Gold Coast Titans have entered the race for the dreadlocked giant’s signature joining Newcastle who has tabled a three-year $350,000 contract.

Last week, Idris made the trip to Newcastle to meet with Coach Rick Stone and recruitment officer Keith Onslow, who was responsible for the Bulldogs signing him.

He inspected the Knights facilities including the new grandstand at Ausgrid Stadium.

This week the 20-year-old made a trip to the Gold Coast on Tuesday afternoon touring their Centre of Excellence and dining with Gold Coast Titans CEO Michael Searle and Coach John Cartwright.

He later shared breakfast again with Searle before joining the Titans squad for lunch until returning home last night.

During his stay the Titans are believed to have offered the Origin star a three year $400,000 a season contract.

One of just five league players sponsored by ASICS, the 2009 Dally M Rookie of the year impressed Searle not just on the field with his demolition of Greg Inglis but off the field.

“I was probably more impressed with his performance after the game," Searle said on Wednesday.

"The fact that he was so respectful to GI (Inglis) said a lot about his character.

"I was impressed the way he handled what could have been, for a young boy, an easy opportunity to spruik, and he didn't.

"On that basis alone we are interested.

"That to me is the sort of player who is appealing to our club.

"You've got an obligation to your fans and sponsors to at least participate in that sort of negotiation."

Despite the attention Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg remains upbeat that the club will be able to retain the player they brought through a pup and turned into a dog.

“Jamal’s made it very clear to me he wants to stay,” he said.

“I think he knows he’ll play his best football here.”

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/03/24/bulldogs-to-put-offer-to-idris-next-week/

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Assuming the report is right (and who knows if it is), if Newcastle is offering $350k, couldn't the Bulldogs match the $350k?

Allowing for the extra commercial earning potential he would have in Sydney, and the fact that he wouldn't be moving to a new club, and the Bulldogs have a greater chance of success in the near future you would think it's a no brainer.

So would anyone have a problem with $350k being the offer?

MAD DOG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming the report is right (and who knows if it is), if Newcastle is offering $350k, couldn't the Bulldogs match the $350k?

Allowing for the extra commercial earning potential he would have in Sydney, and the fact that he wouldn't be moving to a new club, and the Bulldogs have a greater chance of success in the near future you would think it's a no brainer.

So would anyone have a problem with $350k being the offer?
dont forget should Tinkler buy the Knights, he's got too much money that he doesnt know what to do with it... plenty of cash under the table to Jamal... Jamal could possibly 'borrow' Tinklers Range Rover Vogue permanantly... Jamals dad could land himself a high paying job working once a week.... the possibilities are endless..... i hate the thought...geeeeeeeee
cmon guys, hurry up and sign Jamal..... we want him as a bulldog for many years to come....

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
dont forget should Tinkler buy the Knights, he's got too much money that he doesnt know what to do with it... plenty of cash under the table to Jamal... Jamal could possibly 'borrow' Tinklers Range Rover Vogue permanantly... Jamals dad could land himself a high paying job working once a week.... the possibilities are endless..... i hate the thought...geeeeeeeee
cmon guys, hurry up and sign Jamal..... we want him as a bulldog for many years to come....
I dont think Newcastle getting a new owner will matter at all. He may improve the clubs facilities but the salary caps the salary cap whoever owns the club. I dont see Idris as the type to attempt under the table or shady deals, hes a good kid, and it certainly is not worth the risk this early in his career. He will do well enough with $350k a year and sponsorships / legal off field work. Im happy to pay $350k for him, he will be worth every cent. he will attract members and sponsors, and play a huge part in us winning games.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score

Dogzkill4eva

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
cant wait when this is all over and he signs a new 3-4year deal with us

Status