The General - Luke Patten joins my local Rugby club to play.

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
From the bunker to the Eagles' nest: Luke "General" Patten reports for duty

LUKE Patten has revived his decorated rugby league career after making a shock return in a Group Seven trial with Albion Park-Oak Flats.

The 39-year-old Corrimal junior played 282 games, starting at the Steelers and Dragons, before an impressive career at the Bulldogs, where he won the premiership in 2004.

And it was a phone call at a Steelers reunion which paved the way for the "General" to pull the boots on again.

"It all started when I was on the phone with former Illawarra Steelers player Dave Walsh while he was at a Steelers reunion," Eagles coach Gary Breakspear said.

"Dave put Luke [Patten] on the phone and we got chatting about him potentially lacing up the boots for the Eagles.

"That chat led to a couple of more chats before we came to an understanding and he joined the club - which is really exciting for the Eagles, as well as all of Group Seven."

Breakspear, in his second year in charge of the Eagles, expects the 39-year-old, who had been working in the NRL bunker the past couple of seasons, to bring plenty of exciting qualities to the nest.

"Luke [Patten] will bring a wealth of experience to our side, as well as a calming presence for all of our young players," he said.

"While those are great attributes to bring to the club, I think the best thing he's brought is his overall enthusiasm.

"He's brought another level of energy I wasn't expecting from a a guy his age and all the other players are feeding off that."

Apart from a number of appearances for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in the Legends of League tournament, it's been a couple of season since the Corrimal Cougars junior has played week in, week out footy.

But Breakspear will be the first admit the "General" didn't miss a beat in his club debut on Saturday against The Oaks Tigers at Centenary Field.

"Some people might say he hasn't played in a while and needs to dust off the cobwebs but it didn't look that way on Saturday," Breakspear said.

"He fit into the team seamlessly, taking ownership of the fullback's jersey, which he made a career of in the NRL.

"He hit the ground running and I think he's only going to get better as the season goes on - you can tell he's still got that x-factor."

Luke Patten during his debut 1998 NRL season with the Steelers. Photo: Andy Zakeli

As Breakspear alludes to, the three-time NSW Country custodian will help his squad on the field but also off it.

"When he first turned up to training, a number of the older guys were a little in awe of getting the chance to play alongside someone with his pedigree," he said.

"But on the flip side, some of the under 18s guys didn't know who he was and treated him the same as every other player at the club - which is good in a way, as everyone treats him the same as the next bloke and keeps him grounded.

"In saying that, he brings something to the club that you can't coach - experience.

"When he talks, everyone, including myself, listens because it's always beneficial - he's going to be a great mentor for our young guys at the club."

During his career, Patten played 13 games for the Steelers, 44 games for St George Illawarra and 225 games for the Bulldogs, before ending his first grade career in England with the Salford Red Devils, where he played 56 games

The Eagles will open their season on Saturday, April 6 against the Stingrays of Shellharbour at Centenary Field.

https://www.southcoastregister.com....Irs6kAT4vHHiAYyT3mT0W7RvvPh5OONb2buCRczbuouBk

Boys said he did well.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
He's still quicker than probably our entire backline bar 1 or 2.

Is it just that everyone else is really short, or is that bloke in the background from the land of giants?

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I heard his nick name is Punter. He likes to have an each way bet!

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good old General.. gotta love the guy!!

All Hail Mitch

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the bunker to the Eagles' nest: Luke "General" Patten reports for duty

LUKE Patten has revived his decorated rugby league career after making a shock return in a Group Seven trial with Albion Park-Oak Flats.

The 39-year-old Corrimal junior played 282 games, starting at the Steelers and Dragons, before an impressive career at the Bulldogs, where he won the premiership in 2004.

And it was a phone call at a Steelers reunion which paved the way for the "General" to pull the boots on again.

"It all started when I was on the phone with former Illawarra Steelers player Dave Walsh while he was at a Steelers reunion," Eagles coach Gary Breakspear said.

"Dave put Luke [Patten] on the phone and we got chatting about him potentially lacing up the boots for the Eagles.

"That chat led to a couple of more chats before we came to an understanding and he joined the club - which is really exciting for the Eagles, as well as all of Group Seven."

Breakspear, in his second year in charge of the Eagles, expects the 39-year-old, who had been working in the NRL bunker the past couple of seasons, to bring plenty of exciting qualities to the nest.

"Luke [Patten] will bring a wealth of experience to our side, as well as a calming presence for all of our young players," he said.

"While those are great attributes to bring to the club, I think the best thing he's brought is his overall enthusiasm.

"He's brought another level of energy I wasn't expecting from a a guy his age and all the other players are feeding off that."

Apart from a number of appearances for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in the Legends of League tournament, it's been a couple of season since the Corrimal Cougars junior has played week in, week out footy.

But Breakspear will be the first admit the "General" didn't miss a beat in his club debut on Saturday against The Oaks Tigers at Centenary Field.

"Some people might say he hasn't played in a while and needs to dust off the cobwebs but it didn't look that way on Saturday," Breakspear said.

"He fit into the team seamlessly, taking ownership of the fullback's jersey, which he made a career of in the NRL.

"He hit the ground running and I think he's only going to get better as the season goes on - you can tell he's still got that x-factor."

Luke Patten during his debut 1998 NRL season with the Steelers. Photo: Andy Zakeli

As Breakspear alludes to, the three-time NSW Country custodian will help his squad on the field but also off it.

"When he first turned up to training, a number of the older guys were a little in awe of getting the chance to play alongside someone with his pedigree," he said.

"But on the flip side, some of the under 18s guys didn't know who he was and treated him the same as every other player at the club - which is good in a way, as everyone treats him the same as the next bloke and keeps him grounded.

"In saying that, he brings something to the club that you can't coach - experience.

"When he talks, everyone, including myself, listens because it's always beneficial - he's going to be a great mentor for our young guys at the club."

During his career, Patten played 13 games for the Steelers, 44 games for St George Illawarra and 225 games for the Bulldogs, before ending his first grade career in England with the Salford Red Devils, where he played 56 games

The Eagles will open their season on Saturday, April 6 against the Stingrays of Shellharbour at Centenary Field.

https://www.southcoastregister.com....Irs6kAT4vHHiAYyT3mT0W7RvvPh5OONb2buCRczbuouBk

Boys said he did well.
Awesome but damn it, he should be playing for the mighty Milton-Ulladulla Bulldogs! Although we haven't been too mighty of late.