The future of origin

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
What are your opinions on this one?

I can’t help but think the concept is headed to redundancy. We aren’t there yet but it’ll come. I think anyway.

We are already seeing every Islander with a grandparent born in Tonga decide to play for them over Australia and NZ. Which artificially makes the international game more competitive (at the expense of tier one nations and organic countries like France) but the ‘have yo cake and eat it too’ attitude is causing issues there.

There was a special fabric where you were born from a state and then you went on to okay for country later in the year.

That has been widely spoken about.

What I don’t hear about is expansions and it’s repercussions on the game.

I think with the dolphins emergence, we will put the cue on the rack in terms of qld and NSW teams.
We will likely see Perth next and maybe Adelaide down the track.

We already have Perth bred players who don’t fit into the origin concept. Bryson Goodwin for example. And a lot of others you may bro even realise can’t play origin.

What happened when WA produce more? They already can when they don’t have an nrl team and they are likely next.

What about storm organic junior system?

Now we are envisioning a situation where origin doesn’t produce Aussie players and some of the best aren’t eligible.

Now what I think we should be doing is doing away with the ‘jewel’ status origin holds and go to international.,

England are waiting to be revitalised and France used to beat Australia regularly up until thirty years back.
And then you can have the islanders too.

To me thsi is the future. Although strangely in 20 years all the Tongans and Samoans actually won’t qualify for those nations as they’ll be too far removed from grandparent rule.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are eligible for NSW those interstate players.

but you are correct origin is dead for me atleast , I struggle to watch it (with players now playing for other countries ) it’s a glorified all stars match .

you can see it with the NSW side there is no passion as they are all mercenaries

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
They are eligible for NSW those interstate players.

but you are correct origin is dead for me atleast , I struggle to watch it (with players now playing for other countries ) it’s a glorified all stars match .

you can see it with the NSW side there is no passion as they are all mercenaries
Agree.
It used to be organic and I’ve noticed the last few years it’s starting to rely more heavy on old boys talking (propping) it up.
League needs to think about this before it happens.