The Forgotten Fullback

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would be interesting to see The Fox at the back as i think his instincts for the game could play well there.

Also, his defense on the wing hasn't fill me with confidence which has been rather surprising given his standing and experience at the position. Many of his reads and decisions have been average to say the least.

However, i am genuinely excited with the acquisition of Taft who i think is a very good chance of being fullback ... Souths players and fans rave about his speed. He slaughtered us a few weeks ago ... made us look pedestrian.

His running style reminds me of Reece Walsh ...smallish in stature with a huge stride ... powerful.

Has that same skip and burst to get outside his man as Walsh does as well, and then can execute the pass.

Not sure if he has the same ability to see the play unfold as Jake, but he plays with more physicality.

If not for Latrell i have no doubt he would be Souths Fullback.

I wouldn't be moving one of the best defensive centers in the game (Chrichton) to number 1 ... at least not initially.
I agree on your points but shouldn't we at least attempt to find out if JAC can or can not handle fullback ?

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When we signed him like Crichton he was touted as our next fullback,
JAC has since settled on the wing hardly been mentioned of possibly moving him there, why not ?
Was it only a rumour a media beat up or was there a genuine interest from him to move there ?
Some will question even the thought of contemplating the idea highlighting his at times questionable defence or lack of organising skills,
my answer to that,
1 His defence could improve as it is easier to time your tackles using your speed a la Steve Mortimer, better than having big wingers & centres running strait at you, not to mention he could be the loudest defence setting fullback.
2 His organising skills might not be the best but I've seen worse and can possibly improve.
One important question remains, does he really want to have a go there, if he does it's time !!!
he wouldn’t make a good fullback, barley breaks any tackles and slips almost every time he tries to change directions.
his a great winger put him in space and away he goes.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree on your points but shouldn't we at least attempt to find out if JAC can or can not handle fullback ?
Like i said mate it would be an interesting move, and i wouldn't be surprised in the least if he handled it well.

But as things stand at present Fox starts on the wing.

He would only be considered at fullback in a crisis situation in my opinion.

All things being equal i want my players in their best positions.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fox didn't settle here as a winger. He was always that and we've done well to continue that role for him and resisting the temptation in moving him at fullback.
He's one of those career position players like Alex Johnson and Tupou.
Not saying he is a failure on the wing but at this stage of our season we have more to gain than lose, possibly a rock-star fullback.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not saying he is a failure on the wing but at this stage of our season we have more to gain than lose, possibly a rock-star fullback.
Not disagreeing, but I would rather test my options when a failure isn't costly.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Foxx needs a huge game coming up against Young, he will have to be at close to his best. Forget about fullback

I would also be happy to see Foxx pull out of Space Cadet's losing origin campaigns. Pull out of the Blues and focus on the Bulldogs.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The forgotten fullback is Taaffe, in the shadow of Trell Mitt. It wasn't trell who took Souffs to a GF appearance it was Taaffe.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you identified all of the fox's weaknesses in your opening thread comments. I know you like to see something special as would I but other than speed and enthusiasm he brings to the side I honestly can't see the fullback we need. He's still an elite winger and his lack of impact of late is not all his doing. There's a lot not happening on his inside causing him in wrong decision making which he hasn't had in a long time due to his presence in the storm and rep teams.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think you identified all of the fox's weaknesses in your opening thread comments. I know you like to see something special as would I but other than speed and enthusiasm he brings to the side I honestly can't see the fullback we need. He's still an elite winger and his lack of impact of late is not all his doing. There's a lot not happening on his inside causing him in wrong decision making which he hasn't had in a long time due to his presence in the storm and rep teams.
My intentions are to highlight the need to give the team options at fullback for this and next year rather than wait till next season while there is nothing to lose, just in case neither Crichton nor Taaffe work out.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The forgotten fullback is Taaffe, in the shadow of Trell Mitt. It wasn't trell who took Souffs to a GF appearance it was Taaffe.
LOL.. it was Cody Walker and Adam Reynolds that took them to the grand final. Taaffe just did his job, no more and no less