The Forgotten Fullback

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When we signed him like Crichton he was touted as our next fullback,
JAC has since settled on the wing hardly been mentioned of possibly moving him there, why not ?
Was it only a rumour a media beat up or was there a genuine interest from him to move there ?
Some will question even the thought of contemplating the idea highlighting his at times questionable defence or lack of organising skills,
my answer to that,
1 His defence could improve as it is easier to time your tackles using your speed a la Steve Mortimer, better than having big wingers & centres running strait at you, not to mention he could be the loudest defence setting fullback.
2 His organising skills might not be the best but I've seen worse and can possibly improve.
One important question remains, does he really want to have a go there, if he does it's time !!!

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would be interesting to see The Fox at the back as i think his instincts for the game could play well there.

Also, his defense on the wing hasn't fill me with confidence which has been rather surprising given his standing and experience at the position. Many of his reads and decisions have been average to say the least.

However, i am genuinely excited with the acquisition of Taft who i think is a very good chance of being fullback ... Souths players and fans rave about his speed. He slaughtered us a few weeks ago ... made us look pedestrian.

His running style reminds me of Reece Walsh ...smallish in stature with a huge stride ... powerful.

Has that same skip and burst to get outside his man as Walsh does as well, and then can execute the pass.

Not sure if he has the same ability to see the play unfold as Jake, but he plays with more physicality.

If not for Latrell i have no doubt he would be Souths Fullback.

I wouldn't be moving one of the best defensive centers in the game (Chrichton) to number 1 ... at least not initially.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fox didn't settle here as a winger. He was always that and we've done well to continue that role for him and resisting the temptation in moving him at fullback.
He's one of those career position players like Alex Johnson and Tupou.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I love Foxy but if you think he just has the odd D lapse on the wing you have no idea of what a fullback needs to do. I wish he would just go back to Storm Fox and not “leader” Fox…

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I love Foxy but if you think he just has the odd D lapse on the wing you have no idea of what a fullback needs to do. I wish he would just go back to Storm Fox and not “leader” Fox…
That’s a very good sum up. Well put !!

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
When we signed him like Crichton he was touted as our next fullback,
JAC has since settled on the wing hardly been mentioned of possibly moving him there, why not ?
Was it only a rumour a media beat up or was there a genuine interest from him to move there ?
Some will question even the thought of contemplating the idea highlighting his at times questionable defence or lack of organising skills,
my answer to that,
1 His defence could improve as it is easier to time your tackles using your speed a la Steve Mortimer, better than having big wingers & centres running strait at you, not to mention he could be the loudest defence setting fullback.
2 His organising skills might not be the best but I've seen worse and can possibly improve.
One important question remains, does he really want to have a go there, if he does it's time !!!
Can you write that in Matt Nable's voice next time

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just like any player that signs. Whether it be fox or Crichton or anyone….
the mention of fullback adds an extra dollars to the contract. The actual player generally doesn’t care where they play. The contract is signed they got their “fullback money” so whether they play on the wing, centre or prop they get paid the same.

Fox is an out and out winger. His fitness work would need to double to even think about him at 1.

I think Crichton is in the top three or four centres in the game. At fullback he is unproven. I have no issues with him doing a solid offseason preparing at fullback. CC needs to have his eyes open and be prepared to put him back to the centres if it’s not working.

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They just raved about Ponga
Just like any player that signs. Whether it be fox or Crichton or anyone….
the mention of fullback adds an extra dollars to the contract. The actual player generally doesn’t care where they play. The contract is signed they got their “fullback money” so whether they play on the wing, centre or prop they get paid the same.

Fox is an out and out winger. His fitness work would need to double to even think about him at 1.

I think Crichton is in the top three or four centres in the game. At fullback he is unproven. I have no issues with him doing a solid offseason preparing at fullback. CC needs to have his eyes open and be prepared to put him back to the centres if it’s not working.
They just raved about Ponga moving back to fullback and getting the extra space. Let's see what Critta can do with some extra space - he may turn out to be a very good fullback. AT least we know if it doesn;t work out we can move him to centre.