The Football Thread (For all Football/Soccer talk)

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
No one is going to pick on Liverpool though. Especially in Australia with over 70% of the football supporters in Australia following Liverpool. It's hard to pick on a team when everyone is on the Bandwagon.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
100%

These mistakes are easy to make though, but still should have been both or neither.
Surely with VAR these mistakes shouldn't be happening and definitely not every week? Just can't get my head around it tbh as it's really poor.

Get that mistakes happen in football and can understand an on field ref missing something but then VAR to get it wrong?

Just don't get it

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No one is going to pick on Liverpool though. Especially in Australia with over 70% of the football supporters in Australia following Liverpool. It's hard to pick on a team when everyone is on the Bandwagon.
Good to see 70% of Australians aren't idiots. As long as they're not supporting United there's some hope for them yet

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Surely with VAR these mistakes shouldn't be happening and definitely not every week? Just can't get my head around it tbh as it's really poor.

Get that mistakes happen in football and can understand an on field ref missing something but then VAR to get it wrong?

Just don't get it
Yeah, it shouldn't happen. But it happens in every sport. It's mind boggling. After it was introduced to the NRL, they made mistakes. Same for A League, same for AFL, same for EPL. Doesn't matter what the sport is, the VAR/VideoRef/3rdUmpire always makes the same horrible mistakes the infield officials make. The difference is that the fans get to see those mistakes close up.

It really makes you respect democracy though. Knowing that no matter how much experience and training one person has, they'll still fuck up royally.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah, it shouldn't happen. But it happens in every sport. It's mind boggling. After it was introduced to the NRL, they made mistakes. Same for A League, same for AFL, same for EPL. Doesn't matter what the sport is, the VAR/VideoRef/3rdUmpire always makes the same horrible mistakes the infield officials make. The difference is that the fans get to see those mistakes close up.

It really makes you respect democracy though. Knowing that no matter how much experience and training one person has, they'll still fuck up royally.
Madness really. Would prefer not to have VAR in all honesty and just accept that refs make honest mistakes. Seeing both penalty claims live I can understand why ref would potentially give or not give both.

The frustration comes from seeing VAR screw things up like they did when everything is slowed down. If 99% of the public, apart from one or two idiot United supporters, can see it as a mistake why can't they?

Bin VAR imo. Been saying it for a while

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Madness really. Would prefer not to have VAR in all honesty and just accept that refs make honest mistakes. Seeing both penalty claims live I can understand why ref would potentially give or not give both.

The frustration comes from seeing VAR screw things up like they did when everything is slowed down. If 99% of the public, apart from one or two idiot United supporters, can see it as a mistake why can't they?

Bin VAR imo. Been saying it for a while
Yep. Same arguement has been going on in NRL for a long time. I personally wish they would scrap it but the problem is that there's too much technology now. If you remove the VAR then people will record the games, watch the footage back, and scrutinise the ref for making an error.

I still think it should be scrapped though. It slows the game down and overscrutinises stuff that should just be a "just get on with it"

The only thing I think it has improved is in the NRL tries. Previously if you pulled off a ridiculously impossible try, it would have been called a "no try". Now you slow it down and see the player pull off some superhuman feat. Like Ben Barba's front flip try millimetres from the deadball line. Before video ref's that would have been a No Try.

But the downside is that you watch this stuff and scrutinise it heavily. A player goes in for a try on the back of an amazing play, and it turns out that the ball separates from his hand 0.000001 seconds before it touches the ground. Then one of the greatest highlight tries is disallowed because of a technicality.

Just go back to playing the game, blow the whistle, make a call, get on with it.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yep. Same arguement has been going on in NRL for a long time. I personally wish they would scrap it but the problem is that there's too much technology now. If you remove the VAR then people will record the games, watch the footage back, and scrutinise the ref for making an error.

I still think it should be scrapped though. It slows the game down and overscrutinises stuff that should just be a "just get on with it"

The only thing I think it has improved is in the NRL tries. Previously if you pulled off a ridiculously impossible try, it would have been called a "no try". Now you slow it down and see the player pull off some superhuman feat. Like Ben Barba's front flip try millimetres from the deadball line. Before video ref's that would have been a No Try.

But the downside is that you watch this stuff and scrutinise it heavily. A player goes in for a try on the back of an amazing play, and it turns out that the ball separates from his hand 0.000001 seconds before it touches the ground. Then one of the greatest highlight tries is disallowed because of a technicality.

Just go back to playing the game, blow the whistle, make a call, get on with it.
For me it's about accountability. Can't comment on the NRL too much as I simply don't know but in the EPL it's like they get a free pass. Constant mistakes but nothing comes from it.

Does anyone know about other leagues and the levels of refereeing and VAR there? Means a lot that no English refs are at any major tournaments ...

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
For me it's about accountability. Can't comment on the NRL too much as I simply don't know but in the EPL it's like they get a free pass. Constant mistakes but nothing comes from it.

Does anyone know about other leagues and the levels of refereeing and VAR there? Means a lot that no English refs are at any major tournaments ...
There's only certain comps that have it. But generally every comp that has it, had these same issues.

And there's rarely ever accountability because what's the alternative? When everyone screws it up, you either admit that it was a bad idea and scrap it, or you just hope they don't fuck up any more.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There's only certain comps that have it. But generally every comp that has it, had these same issues.

And there's rarely ever accountability because what's the alternative? When everyone screws it up, you either admit that it was a bad idea and scrap it, or you just hope they don't fuck up any more.
In any other businesses people are held accountable. They have standards which are measured and judged.

It seems to me that referees have free reign with little to no consequences for a bad performance. That's what I don't get.

It's not possible for them to be perfect, but to continually get it wrong but nothing to happen? It doesn't make sense to me.

The standards are so different, not just in general but even during a game. One is a penalty the other isn't. One is a red card the other is a yellow.

VAR should be evening this out but it's actually making it worse. Doesn't make sense to me

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
In any other businesses people are held accountable. They have standards which are measured and judged.

It seems to me that referees have free reign with little to no consequences for a bad performance. That's what I don't get.

It's not possible for them to be perfect, but to continually get it wrong but nothing to happen? It doesn't make sense to me.

The standards are so different, not just in general but even during a game. One is a penalty the other isn't. One is a red card the other is a yellow.

VAR should be evening this out but it's actually making it worse. Doesn't make sense to me
That's why the NRL brought in equalisers. Ref's often look bias because they're accidentally giving all the penalties to one side. At half time if one team has been penalised 20 times and the other team 0 times, in the second half they'll start penalising the 0 team for any tiny infraction to balance it out.

That has its obvious downsides. Quite often a team will be heavily penalised because the team has no discipline, then in the second half they'll ignore the poor discipline and penalise the other side just to avoid looking bias.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Kieran Trippier has arrived at Newcastle's training ground ahead of his £12m move from Atletico Madrid.